1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ratty Made Spring Snare

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Snakebreaker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    So I thought I would see how our beloved Ratweiler would fair in some trap making. Normally I reserve snares and traps to a 5 inch blade and a Leatherman multi tool saw. Great combo. This time I wanted to see how well a larger, thicker blade would do on some finer tasks.......

[​IMG]

Man that choil came in mighty handy!

[​IMG]

2. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    I like to spear point the bottom of the trap anchor and chop little ridges in it so it slides into the ground easy, but is difficult to pull out. You want to push this into the ground.......never hammer, otherwise you'll snap the top lip.

[​IMG]

3. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    I normally use fishing line......but I wanted this to be seen easy in the pics so I used white string. It would still work fine.......maybe even better, as the critter would see it easier and may get curious. Now that's got me thinking!

[​IMG]

4. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    And a little closer look..........

[​IMG]

5. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    And finally after all that finer work.......Ratty was chomping at the bit to sink her teeth into something a little more substantial!!!

[​IMG]

This was a 40 foot tall tree. Took about 10 minutes to finish off.

6. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Thanks for posting! Wish I had a weiler, currently my rmd is my "big" knife.

7. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks Chris.......funny you say that.......I've been seriously contemplating a RMD these past few days. Seems like a great "cover all your bases" blade. If you don't mind, shoot me a PM. I'm in Michigan as well.

8. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I love the rmd, it is a great do it all blade. But I have been wanting a blade more suitable for chopping as well. Pm sent.

9. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Thanks for the pics SB. ALWAYS love to see the Ratweiler getting some love and you dummed down how to set a snare. Do you ever use any kind of wire or always fishing line for small critters? What is your intended critter with that setup?

Sorry to be a tad off topic, but inquiring minds want to know!

10. cut it out

cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    Nice pics snake!

11. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks guys! Sorry about the late response.......its been a slower sub forum here lately and I haven't checked.

I normally use 30 pound fishing line. Me and a buddy just did a figure 4 trap yesterday as a little skill practice. That's a little more complicated, but fun.

The trap I have posted here is a smaller one set for rabbit or squrrill.

I've never used wire but the colored string has me thinking from a curiosity standpoint from the critter. That's what we used yesterday for the fig 4.

12. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    Any luck catching anything in the trap?

13. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    No sir. This is all skill practice. We go do traps....water retrieval...and whatever other fun survival once or twice a week. All traps are removed after a successful setup.

Most game can be caught within a few hours in the right spot using chicken livers or catfish stink bait though.

14. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Who's we? You and the wife? :)

15. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Me and a few friends.

16. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    That's cool that you all go out and do that.

17. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Yeah buddy. I'll post a few pics of a nice figure 4 trap I did yesterday. Give me an hour or so!

18. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Ok.......sooner than later. This was a big one. The fig 4 was probably 2.5 Feet by 2.5 feet. The log wall deadfall its supporting was probably 3 feet by 4 feet and weighed in at probably 60 pounds or so. This one was a crusher!

[​IMG]

19. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Nice! Food or bait goes on the horizontal stick, closest to the deadfall? Shouldn't the dirty Ratweiler be laying in the foreground? :)

20. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Yes on both accounts!