Raw wood to handle

I stumbled upon this nice straight grained pignut hickory whilst walking the feist pups deep into the woods on the back of the farm this afternoon. The trees grow fast and tall to out compete the competition in these deep coves. Not even a branch on the log for 40'. My mouth watered as I studied about getting it out, and riven into staves. But there is no way, just to remote and steep to access by anything other than foot or mule. I haven't had a mule for over 30 years now. I'll just watch it rot away.

My mouth watered as I studied about getting it out, and riven into staves. But there is no way, just to remote and steep to access by anything other than foot or mule. I haven't had a mule for over 30 years now. I'll just watch it rot away.

When you walk the dogs carry a saw & axe with you, bring it home a few staves at a time ;)

Quinton,with all due respect,Sir:Would it be too tough to walk out there with a cross-cut saw,hatchet,and some wooden wedges?
In my neck of the woods folks used to have to find a very particular birch that could be riven,to split into stuff suitable for snowshoes,dogsled runners,fishtrap,et c.
Such trees were always rare,one friend told me that it took about 3-4 days walking,averaging about 20 miles a day,to find one,and of course it was usually a good piece into the woods away from the river(we have no roads here at all).
So the tree was riven on site,staves leaned against another tree,with a cover of birch bark,for a year or so,to air dry,then packed out on a packboard.
Those were some 12-16-footers,though...A 4-foot stave for a haft,and none too big around,seems like a guy could fetch it home eventually,one or two at a time...?

Quinton,with all due respect,Sir:Would it be too tough to walk out there with a cross-cut saw,hatchet,and some wooden wedges?
In my neck of the woods folks used to have to find a very particular birch that could be riven,to split into stuff suitable for snowshoes,dogsled runners,fishtrap,et c.
Such trees were always rare,one friend told me that it took about 3-4 days walking,averaging about 20 miles a day,to find one,and of course it was usually a good piece into the woods away from the river(we have no roads here at all).
So the tree was riven on site,staves leaned against another tree,with a cover of birch bark,for a year or so,to air dry,then packed out on a packboard.
Those were some 12-16-footers,though...A 4-foot stave for a haft,and none too big around,seems like a guy could fetch it home eventually,one or two at a time...?
In years past I would get that tree out one way or another. The tree is in a deep cove near the top of a mountain. You can't just hike up there, you have to climb up there using your hands and feet.

Top:
Cherry Flavored Kemi by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

Bottom:
Cherry Flavored Kemi by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

It seems appropriately thinned for the wood it is (or might be lol) and the swell into the knob fits the hand well – really well.

The grain has been raised and fine sanded three times. For the most part it is very smooth.

What should I expect from a wood like this as far as oil/finish? My inclination is to just use BLO/spirits like normal. If it is a cherry of some sort what should I expect from BLO or a stain compared to hickory?

I wouldn't bother with stain. Cherry will naturally darken/redden with time just from UV exposure. Beautiful natural color will come out. I'd use BLO or tung alone and see how it matures.

Back