Read Any Good Books Lately?

JK Knives

We have been getting snowed on pretty hard the last two days, so it`s been a good time to hibernate and read one of the books I got for Christmas. The book is "Cache Lake Country" Life in the north woods, by John J. Rowlands. It was written in 1947, and is a true story about a guy who goes to lives in the north woods of Canada. To me, it is written in the same style as Nessmuk or Kephart, I`ve really been enjoying it. And yes, just like the others, he recommends a trio of blades, axe, fixed, and folder. Anyone else read anything good lately?

I am immersed in a series by Sci-Fi/Fantasy author Raymond Feist. Frickin awesome stuff!

I am bout halfway through the booK--Gonzo, the life and times of Hunter S Thompson, great read so far. I am also reading the SAS Navigation and Tracking handbook.

Recent past reads....Well, I read Kepharts Camping an Woodcraft, World War Z(awesome book!), Lone survivor, the story of a seal team that was saughtered in afghanistan....................

I read alot.:eek:

I just finished Tsar by Ted Bell, which I think is his best novel to date. This PM I'm starting Lincoln Child's new one, Terminal Freeze.

Jeff

I am immersed in a series by Sci-Fi/Fantasy author Raymond Feist. Frickin awesome stuff!

I've read a couple of his and enjoyed them.

I am currently reading Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. He is easily the best author I've read yet. This is the fifth book in his series and it's very good. I've also skimmed Les Stroud's new book a bit, but haven't gotten too deep into it yet.

Dune!

If anyone wants a good sci-fi hi-tech war series then I suggest John Ringo's "Posleen War Series". Also his "Kildar" books (same author) are a good read if you like sex and violence.

For novels, I enjoy David Morrel, Clive Cussler, and Marcus Wynn. I think I have everything Cussler has written.

Weird Hikes; Wild Yosemite (a collection of stories about Yosemite park); forget the name of it but a recent novel by William Gibson and I found two books by Elmore Leonard. My father got Gone to Texas for Christmas, just finished it, and loaned it to me to read (Outlaw Josey Wales). These are all on the plate right now, I guess I have ADD.

I am looking for books by Kephart right now.

The first one was a gift for Christmas, the others are ones I've found at the library for about a buck a piece. Got a ton of Field and Stream and Outdoor Life magazines two weeks ago, and this week got Native Peoples and NMAI Magazine, a small but good stack, all free.

That Gibson book is called All Tomorrows Parties.

Last edited:
Dune!

If anyone wants a good sci-fi hi-tech war series then I suggest John Ringo's "Posleen War Series". Also his "Kildar" books (same author) are a good read if you like sex and violence.

I have really enjoyed both of those series. :thumbup: btw, the latest in the Posleen series is just out "Honor of the Clan".

John Ringo released a book last summer that had nothing to do with any of his continuing series. It is "The Last Centurion". Sort of a post-apocalypse story about an Army unit after the Earth has suffered a flu pandemic and sudden global cooling. I thought it was great fun, but if your politics lean left, you might not enjoy it as much. :D

Like j williams, I recently read World War Z. Fun read and an interesting format with different interviews as different chapters. I can't wait for the movie. It's going to be amazing!

silenthunterstudios, I love Elmore Leonard's stuff. I even got to have dinner with him a few years back, just five of us including him, smoking away and talking about his ideas for writing and his crazy researcher who calls him with questions like, "Do you want to see what 400 lbs. of pot looks like?" and stuff like that which might help him write parts of his books. Amazing night. Seek out some of his 1950's western writing if you want to try something different from him.

Sympathy for the Devil and Night Dogs by Kent Anderson who was a Green Beret in Vietnam and a policeman in Oregon shortly after. These books are fictionalized accounts of each. Great books.

David Hunter's books, Black Friday Coming Down, There was Blood on the Snow and The Moon is Always Full are also fictionalized accounts from a former policeman, this one from Knoxville, TN.

I have really enjoyed both of those series. :thumbup: btw, the latest in the Posleen series is just out "Honor of the Clan".

John Ringo released a book last summer that had nothing to do with any of his continuing series. It is "The Last Centurion". Sort of a post-apocalypse story about an Army unit after the Earth has suffered a flu pandemic and sudden global cooling. I thought it was great fun, but if your politics lean left, you might not enjoy it as much. :D

Thanks for the tip on the new Ringo book. Small world, I live in Medina.

There is so much good shit out there for reading. Lawrence Block-Matt Scudder series, John Sandford-Prey series, WEB Griffin-All of the series, All things Stephen King (The Stand), Ed McBain-87 Precinct series and on and on and ....

Another book that is great is A Snipers Journey, it is the story of a Sniper and his slip into madness after vietnam. Awersome book.

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, is a great read also.

One Mans Wilderness was really good. it was the guy off of Alone In The Wilderness (dick prennoke) daily journal. definatly a good read, and the show is also really good. i also just finished In Cold Blood, which i liked alot.

Bear Grylls great outdoor adventures.......yeah, yeah I can hear y'all laughing !!!:eek:

I've been wandering my way through Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I'm on book 3 at the moment. I don't get nearly enough time to read these days.

well many thanks to these darn forums, i don't read all that often these days..:eek:

here's the most recent book i got.. i bought it a few days ago... it's called "the urban homestead" your guide to self sufficient living in the city, by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen... it's a great read so far.. filled with all sorts of useful information.. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1934170011/bookstorenow99-20

i also recently got "On the wild edge" in search of a natural life by David Petersen.. i love David's writting.. i have a few of his other books... http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Edge-Search-Natural-Life/dp/0805047743/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Managed to get some pleasure reading done during the holidays. I read World War Z (as has been said, great book, can't wait for the movie). The condo we rented in Kauai had a small bookshelf that had "The Chase" by Clive Cussler, and I've read alot of his stuff and I enjoyed this one. I didn't realize it was a different style than his other books, and after the first couple chapters kept waiting for the book to skip back to modern times as many of his other books do. I like how he switched things up a little, and it was a great book. I also started reading "Blackwater: The rise of the world's most powerful mercenary army" and this is also a really good book. I also had bought "The Road" for the trip but didn't get around to starting it.

Back