Really big bearing for anvil ?

I have opportunity to get one giant 450 kg/1000 lbs bearing for free. My only obligation is to transport it somehow ......:eek: Would that hard steel work like anvil ??

Sounds interesting. I would take the offer and show up with a trailer to haul it home.

Holy smokes Batman!! Id say doesn't matter, it'll be worth the adventure and story!!! Must see pictures :)

Sounds good to me. If anything 450kg of steel is worth a couple dimes as scrap.

Anyway, interested exactly what type of bearing it is to weigh 450kg ?

I'd do everything possible to get it to your shop. Safely..

You can always cut slices with your light saber and make knives if you dont use it as an anvil!

how big around is it ???
cutting it to make a anvil from it might be fun...
could pick it up and drop by the waterjet shop to see IF they can cut it for you ???

Is this a 1,000 lb ball? Or a 1,000 lb bearing, meaning an assembly of races and balls or rollers? Sounds awesome either way, and worst come to worst, a scrap yard would probably be willing to trade for a more useful shape weighing less.

Just curious...do you know what it came out of? Locomotive? Ship Engine?

I'd do everything possible to get it to your shop. Safely..

You can always cut slices with your light saber and make knives if you dont use it as an anvil!

How much material loss would a light saber take per slice? Hate to see him loose too much of that good stuff o_O

Make sure your source is legit and legal. Most places that would have access to something like a 1000lb bearing would likely want that going in the steel bin to get the scrap money.
I used to work at a shipyard and several people got arrested for smuggling out scrap steel and copper. It was a big deal since they had been doing it for a long time and had stolen tens of thousands of dollars worth of scrap.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, that's just a lot of steel to get for free.

I have opportunity to get one giant 450 kg/1000 lbs bearing for free. My only obligation is to transport it somehow ......:eek: Would that hard steel work like anvil ??

That should be good for a detent on folding knife of approximately this size. :D

Telescopic-cranes-on-wheels-with-8-axes.jpg

Well , I see that you make good fun with my future anvil :) Sorry guys I did not answer your questions , I was on fishing for a few days . . .
First , that bearing is legit and legal and is old one, worn out and replaced with new one .Price of scrap steel here /government policy / is very low . For this bearing in scrap yard they will get around 60 $ , so not worth to do that ...New one is around 45,000.00 $ :eek: It is for machine /don t know right name in English/ for coal mine ....tomorrow I will know the exact dimensions .For now I only know that is spherical roller bearing ...There is another one bearing there ...double weight of this one :D My plan is to use inner ring as anvil , just as it is without cutting . Anvil for Knights of the Round Table :D
And I'm not sure if you're kidding with me or this bearing steel is good for anvil ?

Make sure your source is legit and legal. Most places that would have access to something like a 1000lb bearing would likely want that going in the steel bin to get the scrap money.
I used to work at a shipyard and several people got arrested for smuggling out scrap steel and copper. It was a big deal since they had been doing it for a long time and had stolen tens of thousands of dollars worth of scrap.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, that's just a lot of steel to get for free.
The same thing happened here some years ago . . . . I know for a case where thieves died trying to steal copper from big active transformer :( For that reason now price of metal are very low . .. . .

Back