1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Really impressed with zero tolerance

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by hemi1300, Aug 1, 2019.

1. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    ZT is what got me into knives. That 0450 has cost me lots of money over the last 4 years—hahaha.

I don’t care for everything in their catalog, but the stuff I like, I like a lot. I love the 0470 and kinda regret not picking one up below map when I had an opportunity, but I’m holding out for a grail purchase.

This is what I have presently, minus the 0900BLU, which I gave to my son for making Eagle Scout.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    lzeplin and zippifish like this.
  2. yamsi12

yamsi12 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I have 26 ZTs in my collection. But that being said the recent stuff they have been releasing hasn’t been to my liking so for the time being I’ve moved on. I’ve expanded my fixed blade collection and recently gotten into SAKs & traditional knives (never thought I’d enjoy carrying a Case knife as much as I have).

3. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Good question.

I have 34 of them and am still looking for others but, like @yamsi12, I'm not all that fond of the newest releases and am focused mainly on collecting different versions of the older "over built" models. Among the older models, the 0200 is my favorite (I own 3 variations) and, among the more recent models, the 0452 is also a fave of mine (of which I also own 3).

Have fun collecting ZTs. :)

lzeplin and yamsi12 like this.
  4. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    I love my ZTs and I think they're probably my favorite manufacturer. Monetary restraints limit me to only 3 currently but I believe they have the best bang for the buck when you consider materials, quality, customer service and designers. Not every model design is for everyone and they might not have the absolute best tip top HT in the industry but they make a solid product and stand behind it. To this day the 0920 is still my favorite knife and the 0450CF is the smoothest opening knife I've ever tried. If they could fix the pocket clip sliding issue on that 0450 it would be in my pocket ALOT more often. None of the other models I have from them have the problem.

On a half related note, if Spyderco could follow ZTs business model they could make a great thing even better. Just sayin' ;)

5. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    I have, or have had ZT 0301, 0550, 0560, 0561, 0562, and 0566. All have been perfect out of the box, well made, and a good value.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  6. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Here's a few "Oldie but Goodie" recycled pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you want a ZT that rides "small" in pocket....there's always the smallest ZT available. :D This one has taken up permanent residency in one of my pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    You may have tried this, but I put a drop of blue LokTite between the clip and scale. After letting it cure for a few days, I haven’t had any problems since.

8. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    They make good knives, but they’ve never addressed the legitimate concerns over lock slip. I didn’t like their CS when I sent in my 0462.

9. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Most ZTs are currently on ball bearings. After I replaced the teflon washers on my three Hinderer xm-18s with PB washers and fine-tuned all to hydraulic, glass smoothness, I no longer care about ball bearings, which can become gritty (though not difficult to fix) more easily/frequenctly than PB/teflon washers. I really wish ZT manufactures at least some models riding on PB washers.

That being said, ZT is still one of my favorite model. Among the ZTs I've owned, 0562 is my most favorite. Hopefully a skinny version of it will be produced someday.

10. cistercian

cistercian

Apr 22, 2015
    I bought a Spyderco Advocate and loved it. Action is soft...and the blade
    is M4...but it is an epic blade all spydie fans should own.(m4 is not stainless
    and I wanted to carry it and I sweat a lot)

Why say this in a ZT thread? Because the Advocate showed me that frame locks
    were fine...I had feared them before.

Soooo.....I bought a ZT 0452 because it was huge and I loved the design.
    It instantly became my favorite weekend carry. Then I bought a 0450.
    It was very hard to open...the detent hole appeared too deep. I did not
    want to return it so I stoned the hole and smithed it and now it is epic.
    Then I bought a 0450CF. Action was PERECT out of the box...so sweet and
    light. Then I got a 0462...OMG what an amazing knife...it falls shut out of
    the box and the action is perfect. Lastly I acquired a 0470. Detent super stiff....
    exercising it broke it in nicely.

Quality wise, I rate ZT very high...but like any production knife there is some
    variation. I really love the Sinkevich designs too. I feel like others here that ZT
    is a fantastic discovery...and all of my lockups are great. The only bad thing is the
    apex angle...too obtuse. But I am spoiled by full flat Spyderco grinds.
    That being said...I freaking love ZT now...and I think I love the 0462 best of
    all of my knives with the 0452cf coming in second. They do big flippers perfectly.

ZT=Highly recommended...but like potato chips, nobody wants just one...

lzeplin likes this.
  11. Kaibab270

Jul 20, 2019
    That's funny you mention that cause the thought actually crossed my mind, I just wasnt sure how loctite would work as an adhesive so to say. Might have to try that, it's the knife's only real flaw imo

12. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Their recent releases, or lack thereof, has been a big disappointment. Rehashes of previous models with a different paint job or glow in the dark scales, etc. and announcing them as "Sprints" just doesn't cut it in my book. At the rate they're going now, Chinese companies like WE are running circles around them. ZT was once GREAT. I sincerely hope ZT can get their heads back into the game with some new designs and innovations.

The ZT0562 series stands as testament to the high quality they can achieve. My ZT0562CF can stand up to my much more expensive Hinderer XM-18 Gen 6 knives in form and function.

The ZT0392 series is to me, their creme-de-la-creme. Like the ZT0562, it can easily compare (and even surpass) knives costing 2 to 3 times more. Here's one of my 392s with some personal touches...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  13. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    Just make sure you have a good T6 torx driver. No need to go crazy tight on the clip screws. When I’m working with T6, I always think to myself “snug +”.

14. Kaibab270

Jul 20, 2019
    I do need a good set, everything I've tried so far has tips that are wayyyy to soft and dont last very long at all.

15. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Pretty sure the 0850/0850CF runs washers. As well as all the A/O models. My 0850 is crazy smooth. But on the downside, has almost NO detent. Nine times out of ten I can shake the blade out, so I'm debating on whether I want to send it in.

16. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I don t like flippers, but the quality of the ZT has always been interesting. The only ZT s I own are the 551, 561, and 350, deassisted. The 640 appeals to me and feels good in my hand. I m waiting for a sale.

Icky Thump likes this.
  17. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I have four all-Ti ZT flippers. I have an 0452, 0450, 0562 and an 0801. The 0801 is one of the oldies, with the grooved handle and an Elmax blade. The 0450 is the smoothest, slickest, easiest-opening flipper I have (which includes three Shiros). The 0452 is a grand, big flipper and the 0562 is my one Abrams tank-style flipper. My four ZT’s are all excellent examples and have no defects or issues of any kind. I haven’t used any of them to baton any rebars and I haven’t subjected any of them to severe spine-whacking on a thick piece of steel bar stock, but they all handle my normal everyday use like champs. Like others above, I haven’t been overpowered by any post-0562 ZT releases and my tastes have moved on, but I think the four I have are ZT classics and I’ll never let any of them go.

18. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    The 0640 runs on PB washers as well. It’s a nice knife and I can see why it’s got a solid fan base.

My 0850 can be shaken out, but it needs to be done purposefully. The detent is strong enough that it flicks open nicely and I’m not concerned about unwanted pocket openings, etc. I just assumed it was a consequence of a relatively heavy blade. If you do send yours in, I'd be interested in knowing what comes of it.

19. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Awesome, you need to get them all together and post us up a pic of your collection!

20. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    My bad I forgot 0850 (maybe because that knife never visually attracted me). On the strength of detent, I hate too light detent. Sometimes bending the lockbar can help, although you would have to do it carefully and gradually.