Recent additions

This here is a Hmong knife from French Guyana. There's a small Hmong community that migrated there after the Vietnam war. Just look at that temper line!

It's sharp as a razor but the edge is quite fragile. I took it to the wood pile for a klvuk style torture test and I chipped the dang edge. Its a great kitchen knife though.

Last edited:
looks like good old steel to me :D, does look suited to kitchening as well

It's the usual spring steel, no older than 1977. Wood is snakewood which is apparently one of the densest woods on earth.

This is the first blade I've ever got hair poppingly sharp. I've had blades that can shave hair but this one literally makes the hairs jump off your arm. It's like a Japanese sushi knife.

These are some polearms from somewhere in Asia. I don't know anything more about them. They're quite stout though, would make good belt knives

Interesting! It's a great knife, you could use it to reduce an entire cow to fajita meat or to dice a clove of garlic in a flash. But I wouldn't take it into the woods and swing it at a tree. The edge is just too hard and brittle
But its my go to kitchen knife for everything now, butcher knife and paring knife in one. Very well balanced too.

This is my latest acquisition. I got it for such a low price that I'm pretty sure I was scammed. I doubt I'll ever get it. It's a European dagger, possibly a parrying dagger. It's either a 17th century original or a Victorian era replica. Either wat I paid waaaay too little for it so I'll be shocked if it ever shows up. Seller is in Ukraine .

Last edited:
Sweet blades Blue Lander... Really nice stuff. Those razors edges are always fragile but I love'em. My heart jumped into my throat when I dropped a VG10 core Mcusta folder. I know have a "serrated" section on the blade due to the chipping. It's right where the belly is so doing any clean slicing is out of the question.

I absolutely love the top knife in the first photo.

Some more beautiful additions to your collection Blue. Love that dagger. Hope you are mistaken and it shows up soon! :D

Sweet blades Blue Lander... Really nice stuff. Those razors edges are always fragile but I love'em. My heart jumped into my throat when I dropped a VG10 core Mcusta folder. I know have a "serrated" section on the blade due to the chipping. It's right where the belly is so doing any clean slicing is out of the question.

I absolutely love the top knife in the first photo.

Thanks! The blade on that thing is as thick as a khuk but as fragile as a vg10 kitchen knife.

We have a member here who is from Vietnam and has a friend who is hmong.
He showed off some blades here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/748307-The-H-mong-knife-from-Vietnam

And then had a special order hmong knife made for him by HI here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/774547-HI-Friendship-knife-review

Great post and pics Karda! Thanks for that history. Got lost there for a few hours:thumbup:

Nice blades Blue! I do like the pole mounted pieces. Im a spear nut anyway:D

Thanks! I'd love to mount them on an actual pole, but I can't find any pictures of a similar item so I know what it ought to look like. Don't even know what country its from

Here's something different. An old Indian dhal shield. Made of animal hide and coated in tar. There's some very deep slices into the edge which look to have been repaired a long time ago, so it appears this thing saw some battlefield action. Makes you wonder what made those slices. A taleat? British cavalry saber? Maybe even a khukri!

Last edited:
Here's a closeup of the cut and repair. It's hard to imagine that somebody actually tried to kill the man originally owned this with a sword.

Next up we have something I guess I should just call a shank. I have no idea what it used to be, but it's been reground and sharpened and rehilted so now it's just a sharp pointy piece of metal. The inscription reads:

Lt L C Espino Souvenir World Wor II
Tunis D D Golabalo 20
65th Inf

I did some googling and the 65th Infantry was a Puerto Rican unit. They trained in Tunis, landed in Le Havre France and fought their way through to Strengberg Austria at the end of the war. I tried searching for any info on a Lieutenant LC Espino but didn't come up with anything.

The hilt's basically a chunk of wood wrapped in medical bandages, I do wonder what it was mounted in originally. This thing definitely saw some heavy use!

Tell me about it! I posted on a few geneology boards to see if I could find anything out about this fellow (and ideally return the knife to his grandchildren or whatever) but nothing turned up. I tried to figure out what the blade might have started out as too but got nowhere. To me the blade looks way older than WWII so it may have been recycled from some previous weapon.

Awesome history Blue. The details of the repair are just amazing and to think as you say. "Someone trying to kill the owner with a sword" obviously whoever repaired it won that fight and succeeded at killing the other.

On the "sharp pointy piece of metal" During the long shipboard times WWII GIs and sailors created a lot of "sharp pointy metal" Very few knives were issued to GIs during World War II, Soldiers were given bayonets, but they were only good for stabbing and not a lot else. So the men in combat zones started making their own knives from downed aircraft parts. The blades were made from the structural steel alloy of the wings, The handles were made from plexiglas from cockpits or melted and recast aluminum aircraft propellers. Some other handles were made out of brass or bronze. Navy men made the best knives because they usually had access to a machine shop on ship, They would often make them for new guys they would make them because they needed them and they weren't getting any from the Army, There was a campaign during the war called 'Make a knife, save a life,' so people would send knives to soldiers the same way we send them care packages today. I am guessing that your blade has a similar beginings.

Interesting! Were these knives ground into shape or forged? This one feels forged. Would they have the tools to stamp in the inscriptions and flower decorations?

Back