Recent additions

i thought it was turkey... never et one myself. too greasy. pig-eons are rats with wings.

california raisins ain't too bad tho.
not good for dogs, as little as six grapes can kill a small/medium dog and raisins are even worse. destroys their kidneys. docs not yet sure why or why some grapes are not toxic to them. i avoid the issue by always taking my grapes in liquid form after my friendly yeast buddies tweak it for me. the moat monsters and HRH poppy are teetotallers. which is fine. more for me.

I posted a picture of this knife long ago but couldn't find the thread.

Members here identified it as a Puuko and seeing as it came from my Father in Law a full bred Swede I figured that was it.
Turns out everyone was right.
My wife's cousin and her daughter are visiting from Sweden and last night on a whim I asked if they knew about Puuko's. They didn't know what that was. So I went and got the knife from my room.
Well the cousin who's 61 I think recognized it right off. She said her father made the knife along with several others and believes he gave it to my Father in Law who would have been her fathers brother in law.

I asked if the family had any others thinking I would give it back since they were more entitled to it that me. Turns out she had 4 or 5 others so I get to hang onto it.

I was so thrilled to actually learn the origin of this knife. And see photo's of the man that made it.
She said the handle was Teak and either Reindeer or Moose. I think most likely Reindeer but not certain.

Pretty cool and just a fluke that I asked in the first place. I'm kind of excited about it. Guess it don't take much to excite me.

cool knives, i (as you might suspect) have a few scandiwegian and finnish knives. good users.

This thing is amazingly sharp, takes a good edge but seems to hold it well too.

I'm not great at sharpening but this one is pretty easy.

So awesome to have the back story and family connection, and a very handsome knife to boot! Definitely a family heirloom.

Scandi edged knives sharpen up super easy but it also doesn't take much to chip them. I probably use my Puuko around the house more than any other knife.

It's a typical knife called samekniv or lappkniv in Sweden. Kniv means knife in Swedish. And a "same" (singular) is the indigenous people, living in the northern parts of Sweden.

Makes sense, I think they grew up in the Ratvik area which is Northern.
So it's not really a puuko then, it's a lappkniv?

I think her dads side was from Gotland which I think is south.

I will ask a friend about puukos. My knowledge of this is not good. But a Puuko is from Finland what i understand. And the resemblance of a puuko and at typical samekniv is similar. At least when i google images of it. But then you also have indigenous same people i Finland. So it's not unlikely that a samekniv and a puuko have influenced each other because of this. But I'm just speculating. But when seeing your scabbard, to me it is a typical sameknife, lappknife. If you google samekniv or lappkniv you can see the similarities with your knife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko Here you can see a picture of the very known Swedish Morakniv. It's basically the same thing as a Puuko.And when comparing your knife with the Swedish Mora. you can also see it's more or less the same thing. So i understand why it's not so easy to know what it is.

Last edited:
I guess the important thing to me is knowing where it came from and who made it. Very much like HI knives.

I just think it's cooler than cool to actually know the exact origin, see a picture of the man that made it.

Guess it makes it more personal or something.

Hope there's another DOD today, I need a DOD for some reason. Makes my day complete.

Been there done that more than once myself. Try deep breathing exercises, in with the good, out with the bad, in with the good, out with the bad.

Never worked for me but maybe it'll help you some.

Been there done that more than once myself. Try deep breathing exercises, in with the good, out with the bad, in with the good, out with the bad.

Never worked for me but maybe it'll help you some.

Deep breath Mr B! OK... ready?

a8D8CbA.jpg

foto by phillllll. Sorry homie! I dove your photobucket:D

I guess Ballistol was spot on. I ran the name Samekniv past the Swedish guest and they both lit up and knew that word. The pronounce it Same E. They also knew the term Lappkniv and were familiar with that as well.
They opened a website using samekniv, which went to Grande Knife??? Lots of this type of knife, all far too rich for my side of the tracks. That took a bit to figure out since it's all in Swedish Kroners's or whatever they call their money.

Here's my latest acquisition. A Chassepot rifle bayonet. This one was made in 1867. I bought it at the Texas Renaissance Festival. The vendor had quite a bit of interesting historical stuff, like an M1 Bayonet my brother bought that was Finnish surplus. I spotted this in the same bin and recognized it. The vendor told me that it was made in Germany for the French, but what little is legible of the maker mark shows it is French made. They also told me it was made in 1861 when I could see that the mark said 1867. It was later that I checked and found that these didn't exist until 1866. The markings and serials are a bit odd from what I can tell. Most of them start with a letter then numbers, but this one starts with numbers, and to make it stranger they are upside down compared to other Chassepot bayonets. It also seems to lack some of the marks normally found on the ricasso. So it's a strange one, but I like it.

they're cool bayonets/short swords. based on the turkish yataghan infantry swords, the franch, british, and a few other countries used the same basic design with very slight variation during this period. i had one many moons ago while i was in the the states, sadly disappeared way back when, i forget how...

they're cool bayonets/short swords. based on the turkish yataghan infantry swords, the franch, british, and a few other countries used the same basic design with very slight variation during this period. i had one many moons ago while i was in the the states, sadly disappeared way back when, i forget how...

Ever since I got to handle this one I decided I wanted a Yatagan too. This one is a very handy and surprisingly agile sword.

Back