recommend a beater rifle?

45-70's....in the Marlin...don't know...never had one....

One of favorites, all time was an 1886 Winchester that I USED to own...

My next favorite was an old Ruger #3 carbine....forward mount scope...which on my 14th birthday was plugging beer cans at 50 yards with...

I have shot them hot...and not...and in BP....

Love them all....

A 375 H&H will thump you harder...IMO...

So will the 40 Mags....

IMO...there ain't nothing better than the 45-70...

The Marlin should be the right ticket for everything that walks...excepting some of the hugest African animals....and then maybe still...

Shane

The 375 is easily better at long yardage than the 45/70; we're talking 300 yards, or even 400 on a real rare occasion. Not 1000 yards. The 45/70 may have an edge in stopping power for a charge. The 375 aint bad. Of course, it's no Rhino or Buffalo stopper like a 416 Rigby, but not many cartridges are.

You could make a hell of an argument that a single shot 375 is one rifle for the Planet Earth.

munk

Hows about a cheap Savage bolt-rifle? They're accurate, available in many calibers, and not pretty to where you're scared to use them. Put a low power, low price fixed scope on top and you have a quick pointing fun gun.

And Savage has had the most accurate out of box production rifle in more than one sampling test.

munk

My buddy had a savage that not only had a cartridge counter on it but also a magazine round cutoff switch . In other words you could eject the round up the pipe without loading another one in . That way you can stop for luch without completely unloading your firearm . By this I mean I don,t want to lay my firearm down with a round up the pipe even with a safety on .

Kevin- that sounds like one of their fine lever actions, old style.

Ciff355- lots of folks are doing that conversion now. I think Midway helped a little in making it popular. I don't know where people are getting the bolts, if at all. You might call Savage and ask if they sell bolts.

munk

Hey Munk, sorry I just now found your query regarding the Ruger #1 in .375 H&H. Just happen to have a "200th Year" #1 in .375 which I do not shoot very often due to the exceptional feather crotch walnut in the buttstock. The rifle weighs 9 lbs without scope, a Leupold fixed 3X with post. Recoil is quite comfortable even with 300 gr Silvertips. Groups for this particular gun go 1 1/2" to 2" with factory loads ( I do not handload for this currently, because both the .270 and the 45/70 shoot tighter groups and are lighter to carry). Now the down side, while the .375 weighs less than a .416 Rigby or 458, in my opinion 10 1/4 lbs is a touch heavy for all day ( unless you're in Alaska). A #1-A in .270, .30/06 or 45/70 will do anything that needs doing, all the way up to elk, plus it's just a fun rifle. Never felt handicapped by one shot, since a second is so quickly available.

Back