Recommend a fixed blade for cutting cardboard

When I cut cardboard I typically use a box cutter. It works well and I can't really complain. But I am thinking of also buying a fixed blade to use occasionally when I'm in the mood to cut cardboard in style.

The question is: which one is the best suited as a cardboard cutter? I am thinking it should have the following characteristics:

1. Narrow blade. Width is a negative here.

2. Supersteel level edge retention, but also decently rust resistant. M390 or S110v? S110v might be too chippy? Other recommendations? Is magnacut a good choice here? It's edge retention isn't that special.

3. Blade shape: should be mostly flat as lots of belly is a disadvantage. Wharncliff might be ideal but isn't required. And the blade should be short-ish. A long blade would be counterproductive.

4. Decent size handle for comfortable cutting

Thoughts? Does anything like this exist? I'm open to a custom knife maker if they would be into making such a thing.

Last edited:
TRC Classic Freedom is a front runner for now. But I have a feeling there are better options!

Spyderco Mule in your choice of steel, perhaps...assuming you can find one for sale (plus handle scales, of course). 3mm thick blade, the same as an Endura. Not the thinnest blade, but plenty thin for cardboard. I've always found the classic Spyderco "leaf" shape blade good for breaking down cardboard.

Bradford Guardian M3 is a bit thicker (3.56mm), but available in sheepsfoot or wharncliffe, and M390 steel.

Those are what popped in to my head - other people are probably more knowledgeable about fixed blades than I am.

One option is to find a knife you like (steel, blade shape, handle, etc) and have it reground to a thinner profile.

There's also those that make custom fixed blade knives that use replaceable (Stanley) utility blades, if tickles your fancy.

Wharnies rock for this purpose. I use an XM18 folder for this:

i-GPL8Xgp-X4.jpg

But Rick made a 3.5” fixed blade version, too (“FXM”). Should run you around $250 or so on the used market:

i-g88NZmQ-X4.jpg

Last edited:
My box knife is a White River Sendero Classic. Pretty much everything you're not looking for. 4-1/2 inch blade, .130" thick, wide flat ground blade, and it only has S35VN for blade steel, but it does have a comfortable, easy to grip handle. It's also $300+, and MOST people won't be using one for cardboard on a daily basis. But, I'm not like most people...

Probably the best cardboard slicer i have:

My fixed blade slicer of choice is that little Victorinox paring knife with the serrated blade.

It's like 8 bucks, weighs nothing and slices like a laser. They even make a little sheath for it.

I got a bunch of them rolling around. Handy as hell.

ephsea ephsea I'm not sure why that's funny to you. I have had knives with skinny handles that make it a bit more cumbersom to cut cardboard without the knife wanting to turn. Neckers in particular.

Big paws you have, David. You're no skinny handle man ! Joking aside, I have some knives that I really like but don't use because the thin handle, good looking, though, just doesn't do it when getting down to work (it tends to "turn". Very unpleasant...) I can do with "too thick" handles but the "too thin" handles kill the deal.

Big paws you have, David. You're no skinny handle man !

Long fingers, average hand width. Kind of a tweener in that regard. That being said there is a skinny handled neck knife that I kept on me for nearly 11 months straight and used for everything, cardboard included. As I sharpened and gradually increased the thickness behind the edge, I noticed the cardboard efficiency started to wane, but not to the point the knife was anywhere near unusable. Wouldn't want to carve hard wood with it all day though.

Geometry is your friend. Good steel, spine thknss less than 0.105", ~15 deg behind the edge.
Blade must be tall enuf to not turn in your hand while cutting.
Makes sense to me. Have any suggestions that meet those criteria?

Spyderco Mule in your choice of steel, perhaps...assuming you can find one for sale (plus handle scales, of course). 3mm thick blade, the same as an Endura. Not the thinnest blade, but plenty thin for cardboard. I've always found the classic Spyderco "leaf" shape blade good for breaking down cardboard.
Well that's not a bad idea at all. I found a magnacut mule at a non-crack-pipe price so I'm going to give it a the.

Thinner would be nice but it'll be a fun experiment.

Back