Recommend me a bowie type knife

In regards to Bark River, what do you mean?

Surprisingly I can't find one consolidated link with all the stories, but suffice it to say, if you Google for Mike Stewart (BRKT's owner) you can find a bunch: https://www.google.com/search?q=mike+stewart+bark+river+reputation

In short, though: multiple documented cases of them misrepresenting the steel used on their knives (always in favor of using a cheaper steel but labeling it as a more expensive one, oddly...), stories of bad customer service, etc. I believe that Stewart had also been indicted for federal bank fraud (link) but haven't found a good source on that.

Edit - better link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...knives-i-could-not-talk-about-til-now.123670/

Last edited:
Bump to top , any updates ? Bought or top contenders maybe ?

Getting one of these made for me.
Its d2 steel, hoping it'll be tough.
He will give it a 10" blade and no heel, i told him I hated heels on a knife.
Looks like a kitchen knife, but is very thick.
O3lMOnH.jpg

I guess it depends on what you consider a 'Bowie' knife. By many accounts, the knife James Bowie used in the Sand-bar Fight was a relatively simple, large(10+ inch), butcher knife with a clip point. Rezin Bowie is the one who marketed the various and sundry 'REAL' Bowie knife designs, that he commissioned, from several different makers, as the design evolved. His personal favorites, according to many researchers, were the knives made by Daniel Searles. (I am partial to these, as well) The Searles knives were true to the spirit of the Sand-bar knife, a tactical kitchen knife. The Gaucho knives are similar, and just as useful. My favorite tactical kitchen knife is a Becker BK-5, although I don't really consider it a Bowie...

Maybe
Marauder Bark River
Spyderco Province
Hemphill Bowie
280 Svord
Trail Master San Mai
way too many good knives ...

I guess it depends on what you consider a 'Bowie' knife. By many accounts, the knife James Bowie used in the Sand-bar Fight was a relatively simple, large(10+ inch), butcher knife with a clip point. Rezin Bowie is the one who marketed the various and sundry 'REAL' Bowie knife designs, that he commissioned, from several different makers, as the design evolved. His personal favorites, according to many researchers, were the knives made by Daniel Searles. (I am partial to these, as well) The Searles knives were true to the spirit of the Sand-bar knife, a tactical kitchen knife. The Gaucho knives are similar, and just as useful. My favorite tactical kitchen knife is a Becker BK-5, although I don't really consider it a Bowie...

I always thought the Edwin Forest Bowie would be what the original was like, just maybe smaller. I like that, I know Bark River makes a version, just too long for me. The other one I like is the Rogue.

I always thought the Edwin Forest Bowie would be what the original was like, just maybe smaller. I like that, I know Bark River makes a version, just too long for me. The other one I like is the Rogue.

I also like the BR Edwin Forrest knife, it's about what I would expect a tactical butcher knife to look like. It's probably thicker (@ 3/16") than the Sandbar knife, tho. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Rezin Bowie, and a couple of reliable witnesses, described the Sandbar knife as simply a large butcher knife, and I know I have seen references to it being more than 10 inches, but I have never heard 12-1/4 inches. Not that that matters, I am simply an aficionado, not a scholar. Still, if the Edwin Forrest knife really IS the Sandbar knife, it is a priceless piece of American history.

Last edited:
The Cold Steel Trail Master in whatever steel you can find or the CS Wild West Bowie. For an over the top knife you can get the Laredo or Natchez Bowie. I would also include the Recon Scout in San Mai III or A2 for a more compact Bowie.

I have the Recon Scout, Trail Master and Laredo Bowie. I’ve used the Trail Master the most and absolutely love it. Does everything you ask of it and it handles work well, needing only a touch up here and there. It’s a big, sharp, hard working Bowie.

Once he gets his shop up again, Kelley Ward of a Hardedgeknives makes a killer bowie, probably around the 5 - 8 inches. Do a search for his name in the Exchange, makers section, and a lot of nice photos come up.

Surprisingly I can't find one consolidated link with all the stories, but suffice it to say, if you Google for Mike Stewart (BRKT's owner) you can find a bunch: https://www.google.com/search?q=mike+stewart+bark+river+reputation

In short, though: multiple documented cases of them misrepresenting the steel used on their knives (always in favor of using a cheaper steel but labeling it as a more expensive one, oddly...), stories of bad customer service, etc. I believe that Stewart had also been indicted for federal bank fraud (link) but haven't found a good source on that.

Edit - better link: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...knives-i-could-not-talk-about-til-now.123670/
F the Feds!

Back