Recommend me a knife

nyj

I’m looking for a fixed blade to carry on duty. Two blades of interest are the Kershaw TDI & SOCP. The TDI - the handles are far too bulky for my uniform and the blade is quite small. Benchmade SOCP - I do not like the limitations of the kydex sheath but love the blade. I need something that can be more than just pocket carried and comes with a good kydex sheath. Any recommendations?

Spartan Blades CQB tool, from the SOCP folks under a different production arrangement. Different sheath.

If you're talking law enforcement, the majority of our local department carry ESEE 3s. I believe they will still put your department emblem on the blade for free. Great kydex sheath IMO.

SOCP sheath out of the box is just plain horrible, as the clip is way too loose to allow drawing of the blade efficiently. Basically blade got stuck inside it and you draw the whole package... unless you doodle for a bit, and time is the essence. It can be fixed but I didn't bother, so my SOCP is never used.. It's annoying because the SOCP has pleasant ergos.

The Spartan CQB tool is a much better version of the SOCP which seems to often come extremely dull with a super obtuse edge. That said if you buy the SOCP and get it professionally sharpened it can be awesome. The sheath has holes in it so you could easily attatch it to your belt with zipties or paracord. Also even with just the clip you can put it down your waist band, not just your pocket.

I assume you are looking for a small blade for protection should somebody try to grab your pistol. Since I live in an urban city these small concealable close range “last ditch” knives are a personal favourite of mine.

Please watch videos on the SOCP as it is designed exactly for getting an opponent off your gun and then for you to be able to fire with the socp still in your hand. (The spartan cqb tool works the same way)
knifework-sb9bk.jpg

Check out the Gabe Suarez Grab and Stab and Gang Unit, these are awesome blades designed exactly for what you are looking for. The Kabar TDI is good too, though not my favourite.
Grab and stab is bigger knife and gang unit is smaller.
6a0133ec985af6970b01b8d0a11290970c-500wi

6a0133ec985af6970b01b7c719f800970b-500wi

Another awesome blade is the Spyderco Street beat. When it comes to wearing an edc fixed blade on your waist band this one is one of my all time favourites. Lightweight compact and ready for anything.
4alRr3g.jpg

My personal favourite is the Shivworks Clinch Pick. Like the Grab and Stab it is a backwards knife designed for in close edge in techniques. Basically you stab it in and use your strong back muscles to tear it out. The edge in blade cuts on the way out. If you like this one look up SouthNarc, an ex undercover cop who devised this system.
ES7HmjH.jpg

Check out Fred Perrin’s stuff, he is a master of these urban self defense blades. Also Brous Silent Soldier Neck Knives make great little belt sheath knives and punch daggers.

The non ringed fixed blade knife in this one is a Spartan Enyo. The other non ringed is a Perrin Tri-Folder. (Trifolder is not what you are looking for)
ll8T3Fw.jpg

Last edited:
SOCP sheath out of the box is just plain horrible, as the clip is way too loose to allow drawing of the blade efficiently. Basically blade got stuck inside it and you draw the whole package... unless you doodle for a bit, and time is the essence. It can be fixed but I didn't bother, so my SOCP is never used.. It's annoying because the SOCP has pleasant ergos.

It works really good if you attatch a static cord to the holes on the sheath. That way if the sheath draws with the knife it isn’t a problem.

If this is a backup weapon get a karambit. Bastinelli pico or max venom karambite. If you want something that is also useful for utility look at the Fred perrin bowie. Very unobtrusive to carry, and a very nice knife.

Last edited:
Check out the whiteriver backpacker. Really good kydex sheath with multiple positions for carry. Its a good utility blade and can double as a quick draw blade for those unforeseen situations.

If this is a backup weapon get a karambit. Bastinelli pico or max venom karambite. If you want something that is also useful for utility look at the Fred perrin bowie. Very unobtrusive to carry, and a very nice knife.

I at first thought that too, but after some training it seems to me the karambit is not ideal for those high adrenaline situations. If you have the extensive training required I am sure it is fine but I do not prefer it.

The Spartan CQB tool is a much better version of the SOCP which seems to often come extremely dull with a super obtuse edge. That said if you buy the SOCP and get it professionally sharpened it can be awesome. The sheath has holes in it so you could easily attatch it to your belt with zipties or paracord. Also even with just the clip you can put it down your waist band, not just your pocket.

I assume you are looking for a small blade for protection should somebody try to grab your pistol. Since I live in an urban city these small concealable close range “last ditch” knives are a personal favourite of mine.

Please watch videos on the SOCP as it is designed exactly for getting an opponent off your gun and then for you to be able to fire with the socp still in your hand. (The spartan cqb tool works the same way)
knifework-sb9bk.jpg

Check out the Gabe Suarez Grab and Stab and Gang Unit, these are awesome blades designed exactly for what you are looking for. The Kabar TDI is good too, though not my favourite.
Grab and stab is bigger knife and gang unit is smaller.
6a0133ec985af6970b01b8d0a11290970c-500wi

6a0133ec985af6970b01b7c719f800970b-500wi

Another awesome blade is the Spyderco Street beat. When it comes to wearing an edc fixed blade on your waist band this one is one of my all time favourites. Lightweight compact and ready for anything.
4alRr3g.jpg

My personal favourite is the Shivworks Clinch Pick. Like the Grab and Stab it is a backwards knife designed for in close edge in techniques. Basically you stab it in and use your strong back muscles to tear it out. The edge in blade cuts on the way out. If you like this one look up SouthNarc, an ex undercover cop who devised this system.
ES7HmjH.jpg

Check out Fred Perrin’s stuff, he is a master of these urban self defense blades. Also Brous Silent Soldier Neck Knives make great little belt sheath knives and punch daggers.

The non ringed fixed blade knife in this one is a Spartan Enyo. The other non ringed is a Perrin Tri-Folder. (Trifolder is not what you are looking for)
ll8T3Fw.jpg
Solid advice all around.

I’m looking for a fixed blade to carry on duty. Two blades of interest are the Kershaw TDI & SOCP. The TDI - the handles are far too bulky for my uniform and the blade is quite small. Benchmade SOCP - I do not like the limitations of the kydex sheath but love the blade. I need something that can be more than just pocket carried and comes with a good kydex sheath. Any recommendations?

It would help to know ANY parameters besides "duty". The two knives you're considering are radically different from one another. I have to guess that you're looking for something that will work as a last-ditch defensive tool, and that you have no training in edged weapon combat, so my advice is just buy a Spyderco Matriarch. It's a folder, but you can draw and deploy it in one motion under stress because of the wave feature. If I'm wrong in my assumptions, please elaborate on your needs.

It would help to know ANY parameters besides "duty". The two knives you're considering are radically different from one another. I have to guess that you're looking for something that will work as a last-ditch defensive tool, and that you have no training in edged weapon combat, so my advice is just buy a Spyderco Matriarch. It's a folder, but you can draw and deploy it in one motion under stress because of the wave feature. If I'm wrong in my assumptions, please elaborate on your needs.

If the OP is going with a folder then a waved knife is essential. Find out what reverse waving is and practice lots. I find standard waving unacceptable for self defense, reverse waving BARELY acceptable.

Although in truth during the winter with many layers on it can be cumbersome to get at IWB knives. During the winter I can draw my Spydie Pikal into reverse wave faster than I can get a positive grip on a fixed blade handle which is under a jacket and a hoodie.

Thanks for the recommendations. Like the Spyderco Street beat quite a bit. Short of eBay, they’re hard to come by.

No folders. Got enough of those. Need something for the belt with quick access.

For a folder I would go with a spyderco matriarch 2, the waved version. Add a wise men company signet ring.

The spartan socp is great if you have a vest it can fit in.

I also REALLY like the emerson la griffe. Its a monster turns you into a human velociraptor. Its relatively inexpensive and can be carried all kinds of ways.

All of these are for carry as a backup weapon.

N nyj

Just remember how quickly a fixed blade in kydex can be drawn by an opponant and used against you. Especially in a ground fight. At least a folder is more difficult to access by a suspect and also slower to open and use against you

Back