Recon 1 CTS-HXP, anyone?

Been carrying a Code 4 in the new CTS-HXP steel (love it, by the way).

Now, I'm thinking of making a move and getting a Recon 1 clip point. My question is, how can you tell which ones are in AUS-8 and which are in CTS-HXP. My Code 4 has the steel type marked on the blade, but a few pics I've seen of the Recon 1's don't show the steel type anywhere.

Does anyone have any comparison pics of their Recon 1's?

If the website description doesn't tell you which steel it is, you are shopping on the wrong site. BTW if the price is around $50 its AUS8A.

If you at B&M Knife Store you tell for yourself. If it doesn't have CTS-XHP on the blade, its AUS8A.

If you buy a new 2015 Recon 1 with Carpenter CTS-XHP blade steel and DLC-coating, the price will be around $95 or so. (Most dealers that discount from the MSRP will be 35 to 44%.)

Anything lower than that is most likely the previous AUS-8A version. It is possible to find them at blow-out prices still too.

Pay careful attention to the dealer listings to make sure you are getting what you want! Not all dealers post the right pictures or product information.

There are still a lot of the previous AUS-8A versions being posted too.

As far as the blade markings are concerned, go to the following link to see four pictures of the proper blade markings:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...plain-blade-od-green-g10-handles-kc-exclusive

If you buy a new 2015 Recon 1 with Carpenter CTS-XHP blade steel and DLC-coating, the price will be around $95 or so. (Most dealers that discount from the MSRP will be 35 to 44%.)

Anything lower than that is most likely the previous AUS-8A version. It is possible to find them at blow-out prices still too.

Pay careful attention to the dealer listings to make sure you are getting what you want! Not all dealers post the right pictures or product information.

There are still a lot of the previous AUS-8A versions being posted too.

As far as the blade markings are concerned, go to the following link to see four pictures of the proper blade markings:

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS...plain-blade-od-green-g10-handles-kc-exclusive

Awesome. Thanks for that link. It helps a lot.

The Code 4 is a very difficult knife to beat as a beater EDC at its price point. I just wish CS would mill some grooves or a pattern into the scales so that it wasn't so slick in hand. On the non-clip side would be best so that the Code 4 still slides in and out of pants pocket easily. I'd love to see a 4" tanto verson of the Code 4 as well...maybe in time.

The Code 4 is a very difficult knife to beat as a beater EDC at its price point. I just wish CS would mill some grooves or a pattern into the scales so that it wasn't so slick in hand. On the non-clip side would be best so that the Code 4 still slides in and out of pants pocket easily. I'd love to see a 4" tanto verson of the Code 4 as well...maybe in time.

Yeah, I really dig the Code 4. Great knife. I'd love to see it in a grey G-10 handle some day.

so that it wasn't so slick in hand.

The judicious application of grip tape, like skateboard tape, can really help. Especially where the thumb lands for extracting the knife. But I agree that the Code 4 is awesome, and the smooth aluminum scales that don't shred the pocket are a bonus.

The judicious application of grip tape, like skateboard tape, can really help. Especially where the thumb lands for extracting the knife. But I agree that the Code 4 is awesome, and the smooth aluminum scales that don't shred the pocket are a bonus.

I've thought about doing that on the non-clip side so that it slides out of the pocket easily. If CS would mill the scales of the Code 4 and bump the blade up to 4" it would be my favorite knife under $200. It's still very hard to beat.

Oh well, I couldn't just "look" at it anymore so I went ahead and ordered a new Recon 1 4" Tanto with CTS-HXP.

Congrats on the buy, btw many vendors are selling the special editions with green or brown handle if you are interested.

Here's the Recon 1 that arrived on Friday, it's certainly a keeper and it will most likely become my new number one beater EDC. The knife feels great in hand and is thin enough to carry in your front pocket without any issues. I was a little surprised that it wasn't nearly as sharp as my AUS 8A Code 4, but given the low price it's not a big deal.

The only thing I've had the chance to cut with it is a few cardboard boxes, a bit of carpet and some zip ties while cleaning up around the garage. The knife came arrived with a useable edge, it probably just needs to be stropped as out of the box it wouldn't cleanly slice printer paper. Regardless, it's a Hell of a lot of knife for the money.

I apologize for the crappy picture quality, the lighting in the office was too dim to get a decent shot.

Recon 1.jpg

I like the OD variation! Hows the clip on that puppy? I have had problems with clips on CS folders before...

I saw the OD version and I like it, but I've avoided black so often that I really don't have that many folders with black scales...so I added one. I normally buy mid-techs or customs, but after trying the Code 4 and liking it so much I figured this was worth a try. I'm glad I ordered the Recon 1 and I know it will see a ton of use.

I've had no issues with the clip at all, my Code 4 was a bit difficult to clip to my jeans pocket, but it broke in and the Recon 1's clip worked great out of the box.

Been carrying a Recon 1 for fifteen years and I still do. Great EDC knife.

Oh well, I couldn't just "look" at it anymore so I went ahead and ordered a new Recon 1 4" Tanto with CTS-HXP.

KLJTech, I've been eyeing this knife for awhile, but have always kind of shied away from tantos. Do you find this blade to be very usable with the tanto style Cold Steel implements?

When they first came out I had the same ques. so I called Cold Steel,the guy told me that the xhp has coarser grind lines than the aus version and indeed they do ,however now it seems like they are labeling them all that have the xhp.good job Cold Steel

Back