Recreating Kephart's Outfit

Marbles makes some small hatchets that are quite nice, and very affordable.

yhPJxz9.jpg

~and~
bClhtVI.jpg
They're nice little hatchets, I have a double bit one as part of a Nessmuk setup.

Really nice man!
Thanks man. Like I said, I have the paracord wrap off now, and handle sanded. Thinking of taking a torch to the handle, haven't decided yet. I have a few other hatchet/axes.

My GB Wildlife:

Roselli:

Rinaldi Trento:

CS Trail Hawk mod I did. I ended up selling this one:

Love those Roselli axes. I have an antique precursor to them, the Kellokoski 12.3.

Really like the looks of that Rinaldi as well. Did you make the haft?

Love those Roselli axes. I have an antique precursor to them, the Kellokoski 12.3.

Really like the looks of that Rinaldi as well. Did you make the haft?
No, it came like that.

Redid an old Hults Bruk Yankee pattern that was given to me a few months ago. It was in pretty rough shape, but now better than new! This one is good for winter trips, or if travelling by vehicle or canoe, or if lots of building or wood is required.

20180923-181903.jpg

20180923-181827.jpg

20180925-174137.jpg
Nice job! I'm thinking about getting a nice felling axe. 4-6lb head.

I've read that many times, that the bit needed thinning. I have a GB Wildlife hatchet. Great hatchet. Thinking of getting the mini, but damn they're pricey.

I have a GB Wildlife Hatchet and the GB Small Forest Axe ... the GB Mini I found handy but I could do anything with the Wildlife Hatchet that I could with the mini ... only benifit might be carving but I would switch to a knife for anythimg I needed smaller than the Wildlife Hatchet ...

and both take a good enough edge you can process a deer with ... I did a mule deer with the Wildlife Hatchet just to see how it would do a couple years ago.

Redid an old Hults Bruk Yankee pattern that was given to me a few months ago. It was in pretty rough shape, but now better than new! This one is good for winter trips, or if travelling by vehicle or canoe, or if lots of building or wood is required.

20180923-181903.jpg

20180923-181827.jpg

20180925-174137.jpg
Nice. I keep picking up those old Hulks Bruks whenever I see them at garage sales. Think Iโ€™m up to 4 now. :D

still love the look of that rinaldi
It is a cool ax. I need to grind the edge on it, and oil it up. Noticed it was getting a bit of rust on it. When I used it to fell that tree at the cabin, I got some chips in the blade. I got the special grade from Ben, but wished I hadn't done that. Sharp yes, but the edge was too thin. It makes an unusual sound on impact. Because it's a slip fit handle, it makes a pinging sound. It does bring out your inner viking using it, haha.

Soviet mess kit arrived today, of course coated in cosmoline. This will serve as the main bushpot/kettle, and dry goods storage while on the move.

The rest of the camp kitchen consists of a GSI Bugaboo mess kit, which fits the bill of Kephart's 8" frying pan and 1 qt saucepan/pot. The two parts can be put together and used for baking. Couple other odds and ends swiped from other cook sets, like a take down spatula from a Stanley cook set, military can opener, and a Ka-Bar hobo knife for utensils. A German Breadbag carries my fresh food and seasonings. All in all, it's a very comprehensive kitchen!

Howdy folk!

Sorry for my absence, it's been a busy couple of weeks getting things ready for a wholesale expo.

But I got some cool new gear to add to the Kephart collection!

Traded some leatherwork and tomahawks I don't use any more for some killer vintage packs, both of which are contemporary to Kephart's time and are mentioned in Camping and Woodcraft.

Got an external frame Norwegian Telemark Bergen/ruck. These things are terrific, and very comfortable with the frame and hip brace. Lots of attachment points for bed rolls and the side pockets are attached just along the sides, so you can carry axes, rifles, skis etc...

The next is a vintage Trapper Nelson Indian Packboard. Wooden frame and very large canvas pack! It's roughly the same size as the Duluth, but a bit more versatile, especially as the pack can be removed and the frame used for bulky or unwieldy loads.

Also got a mosquito net and silky saw in the trade.

I now have most of my Kep outfit put together. I'll get some photos once we're back from the expo.

I think the Duluth is going to be delegated to Canoe pack duty. That is what they were originally designed for. For trips afoot, I'll pack the same kit in the far more comfortable carrying Telemark, and use the pack board for trips during big game season.

Very cool man. :thumbsup:

The Telemark pack is super comfy. Went on a jaunt to pick up some fancy beverages and with about 15 lbs of libations, it carried very easily. I like the half hip belt dealie, it's a length of canvas webbing connecting the bottom corners of the frame, this suspends it away from your back. I found that by standing up straight/correcting my posture, it would take the weight off my shoulders.

Also, the interesting strap design allows you to unsling the pack easily by disconnecting the spring clip on the left side strap.

Overall volume is fairly smallish, but there are lots of auxiliary attachment points. A rolled bundle can be slung from the bottom and the top, and the side pockets are nice and voluminous. There's also a small pocket in the lid. All in All, this is going to make a great pack for the Kephart gear for trips afoot.

Back