Red Rock Rover Sling Bag (Photo Heavy)

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
I ordered this sling bag 2 months ago, and just got it in today. These are hard to find, because they sell so fast. I haven't used it yet, but I do like it. Hard to beat for $25. It has plenty of MOLLE straps, D-rings, compartments. etc. It is a small bag, at 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 12"h, with a 315 c.i. capacity. Gonna use this as my EDC.

Here's some stock photos, not my own:

Here's a few I took. As you can see, I opted for the OD color. It was hot out, so the photos were taken in a hurry.

Stretched out on my canoe:

The bottom rear has a velcro based belt loop:

The top rear has a "hidden" compartment. Just undo the snap:

To reveal a pocket, with a velcro back, possibly for CCW:

The rear has nylon netting for breath-ability:

The bottom of the bag has a zipped pouch:

Then underneath it has another compartment, with a small pouch, elastic straps, and a key strap:

Then above it there's a small compartment, with another small pouch, and more elastic webbing. Perhaps I'll use this for my fire making supplies:

Unzipping the main compartment, reveals a small, zippered pouch:

And that pouch is attached at the bottom with velcro. Lifting it up reveals another larger pouch:

Looking down into the main compartment. You can see the drain hole:

And finally, you lift the elastic band, via velcro for yet another pouch:

I also like that it has a padded carry handle on the top:

Last edited:
This is pretty much an exact clone of the Maxpedition Lunada.

That actually looks a lot nicer than Maxpedition's economy stuff. Nice find.

max-jumbo-kiss-001.jpg

max-jumbo-kiss-002.jpg

I like that! I likee a lot! I must have one....my wife will NOT be thanking you LOL

Well, for $25, I'm game.

Maxpedition could probably cut pricing severely and still be incredibly successful.

My main concern when I purchase, or even consider purchasing gear like this is, "will it last?" This piece of gear's longevity is going to be directly proportionate to the stress you put it under.

The beautiful thing about Maxpedition is the toughness of it. Time will tell with this piece of gear. Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide don't have a great reputation for putting out their chinese gear that lasts and lasts.

How does the stitching look on it, etc.?

That actually looks a lot nicer than Maxpedition's economy stuff. Nice find.
It's a nice little bag, especially for the money.

I like that! I likee a lot! I must have one....my wife will NOT be thanking you LOL
She shouldn't bitch too much at $25. :D

Nifty little bag and the price is right!
Thanks.

Maxpedition could probably cut pricing severely and still be incredibly successful.

My main concern when I purchase, or even consider purchasing gear like this is, "will it last?" This piece of gear's longevity is going to be directly proportionate to the stress you put it under.

The beautiful thing about Maxpedition is the toughness of it. Time will tell with this piece of gear. Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsman's Guide don't have a great reputation for putting out their chinese gear that lasts and lasts.

How does the stitching look on it, etc.?
I have never owned a Maxpedition, but for the most part, all the reviews are excellent. I would own one. The stitching seems to be good. I bought this for EDC, so mostly it will just sit in my truck. I also consider it my medium BOB. I have a small pouch with a tin, and a few other items for my small BOB, and an ALICE pack for my extended stay BOB. One thing I have learned about a sling bag, is it isn't near as comfortable as a regular backpack. It's not heavy, so it really isn't a huge issue, but I just can't seem to find the right adjustment for a little more comfort. It does have a padded handle though, so there's always that option I guess.

Ya don't know my Wife! LOL j/k she actually lets me do what I want and some things I shouldn't do! Any women that orders a shotgun for me for Christmas and gets every option and detail correct...is a keeper in my book!

I do have a quick question or 2.

What is the external dimensions? it looks roughly 16''x10''?

How much weight would you think the bag could hold up to and you could carry with any comfort? maybe 15 pounds -+?

Thanks

The only negative I see is all the Velcro...I just don't like the stuff. Mainly because I hunt, and Velcro is NOISY as hell to open.

External dimensions are 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 12"h, with a 315 c.i. capacity. Yeah, I probably wouldn't go much over 15lbs. I may have close to that now in there. It doesn't feel too bad, but like I said, not as comfortable as a backpack. Yes, velcro is noisy for sure.

I have had one for about three months. I bought it primarily to carry my CCW but have yet to use it. It seems to be very well made and has a lot of storage areas. I just haven't found a really comfortable way to carry it so that the CCW is readily accessible. You can hook the strap to either side so it works for right or left side carry. Pretty good deal for $25.

Thanks for pioneering this product-been kinda itchy to try one out myself. At that price, I might pick up two or three of the two-strap 3000ci bags.

Thanks for posting this. I just got one in Coyote Tan and it is really good quality, specially at that price. I have an old model Maxpedition FatBoy, and although the Maxpedition has better stitches the overall quality is similar. The Red Rock stitches look good, it is just that Maxpedition stitches look designed to stand to anything. I like the zippers in the Maxpedition better, but that is a matter of taste. The zippers in the Red Rock are good ones; look to be the same Condor uses. I just like the Mapedition's better. I can't compare it with the new Maxpedition economy versions, but I take baldtaco II's word that the Red Rock looks better.

I like that in addition to cross-chest carry (from shoulder to opposite waist), it can be carried in a regular shoulder bag style with the side strap keeping it in place. The bag the a large ambidextrous shoulder strap clearly seen in the photos, and a thinner, adjustable side strap on the opposite side to keep it from moving around. The side strap allows the sling bag to be carried shoulder bag style without having to constantly readjust the bag to avoid it falling from the shoulder.

I like the flexibility of expansion through molle attachments. I attached a Condor H2O Pouch and a Condor Gadget Pouch (for a compact First Aid Kit) both in Coyote Tan I got from the local Omaha's Surplus. This bag will be my new to go bag for day hikes with my kids.

I found this thread when I googled this bag for reviews. Saw it in the Sportsmans Guide HQ catalog. I thought it might be a clone of the Colossus, but clearly it is not. Was just looking for a light sling bag for everyday use, not a super-duper end of the world type bag. However, my main concern nowadays with molle-type bags is the government/media propaganda that everyone carrying a molle bag is a probable shooter thats going to kill everyone in a movie theatre. That guy that got busted in a movie theatre in Ohio had a bag, and they said "This isn't the bag, but it was like this"...and showed a Maxped Fatboy. My thought is that was deliberate.

Besides, in todays climate of mass paranoia and "see something say something", going "Tacti-cool" isn't the best idea. Better to be the grey man. (EDIT TO ADD: I see that this is a 8 month old thread...this wasn't much of an issue at that time, but it is now.)

I found Kelty has a nice tactical sling bag that looks like a normal one, but it's pricey and custom. No go. I decided that I am going to order the Bugoutgear (SOC) sling bag. It's not much more...about $32, and has a nice plain look. It's black, but there is no molle webing on the outside.

Like I said...it's just for getting around town with my EDC gear, New Trent power packs and all that jazz. My 10-C's kit is in a Camelbak Uproar Pack, and my extreme survival pack is a Maxped Condor 2. But sometimes you just need something simple. I've always liked Maxped stuff, but with the agenda that getting pushed right now, it just isn't the best idea to be strolling around town with tactical nylon stuff.

And as it was already said....I've owned Fatboys, Jumbos, and a Sitka Gearslinger. Sling bags are NOT COMFORTABLE is they are loaded heavy!! Especially is made so that they are meant to only be slung one way. If you want max storage, just get a good non tactical backpack like a Jansport or something.

Last edited:
Warrior, sorry to drag up a old thread . You started this about 2 years ago. Do you still have the pack? what do you think of it now?

Back