red trout

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by mightyzaa, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    Well, let me first say both of the Red Trout knives that arrived today are lovely, basically flawless and with good strong snap. And, I love the box and label.

sadly, I ordered an abalone and a sambar stag, and instead received a red jig bone and a merlot worm groove bone.

I have contacted Richard about this and it looks like he sent me the wrong pair, and still has the two I ordered.

when these arrive everyone will be happy - they are sweet. The two I have in hand are GEC Northfield quality with no finishing flaws, scratches or stuff like that.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Reaper AL, redsparrow and 315 like this.
  2. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Mine arrived today... the orange/red kirinite, and the basketweave jigged bone, which looks almost like a "crosshatched winterbottom". I like it better than I expected to.
    Both have strong pulls, with the orange being about a 7. I can just barely pinch it open. The bone one is probably a good 6 or so. Both are very nicely finished out, and came with a good, usable edge. I plan to refine the edge a bit, to shaving sharp, but I'm in no hurry. I'll do some flushing of joints and edge work later today or tomorrow.
    I think Eric did a great job with these, which makes me even more enthusiastic about his new company.... can't wait to see what he comes up with there.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

mbkr, Bloefield, llKRAKENll and 18 others like this.
  3. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I have a couple coming next week. Looking forward to receiving them. That basket weave bone looks something else. Very different!

Russell

Bloefield, hornetguy, mrknife and 2 others like this.
  4. Laurelbb

Laurelbb

May 6, 2017
    beautiful! great choices.

hornetguy likes this.
  5. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Rich's daughter sent me a couple pictures the other day and since I know some of you are chomping at the bit to see the finished covers on these, I thought I'd post them here. :)

[​IMG]

This is the one I believe is on it's way to me. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    mbkr, Spaten, tmd_87 and 16 others like this.
  6. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Very nice! I believe one of the katalox woods is mine (the other has been posted already and there were only 2 made). I can’t wait to see it in person.

seas165 likes this.
  7. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Thanks! Im so excited about these

8. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    The abalone knife makes the stag look plain!

These are like smaller versions of the 2019 forum knife. Very impressed.

D5DA171E-09C9-49C3-B6E7-F11758FD5719.jpeg 0CA145EA-28E5-4551-820C-E037D4AF10F9.jpeg

imhuntn, mbkr, blademan 13 and 17 others like this.
  9. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
  10. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    I ordered right away last week and received a parcel this morning with three knives; two were the wrong ones and are being returned to Rich - he’s working on replacements for the two I was hoping for. In the meantime, here’s a pic of Eric’s wonderful Sarsaparilla Jigged Bone, as nice a small pocketknife as one could hope for:
    4D209EC9-2DB1-4A6E-A2B5-99FEE70FEC98.jpeg
    460D5D0F-5716-4DDB-BBF1-BDBCF61D224B.jpeg

Matt_WY, mbkr, Spaten and 12 others like this.
  11. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Fortunately I did receive the two I ordered, I like them both very much. Fit & finish is very good, great snap, pretty strong pull but may loosen up with some oiling/cleaning. This photo doesn't do them justice.

[​IMG]

Matt_WY, mbkr, blademan 13 and 14 others like this.
  12. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    The jigging on the sasparilla is awesome!

Bloefield and llKRAKENll like this.
  13. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Here’s a direct comparison:

46298A5A-807E-40C7-AA53-34B1BF9DFE4D.jpeg 773BF180-EC51-4B38-AE0A-5D32C3056F02.jpeg 128F7F2C-5464-4113-9A9E-2390A7D76BED.jpeg

Absolutely!!

Matt_WY, mbkr, blademan 13 and 12 others like this.
  14. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Nice choice! Jigged bone is amazing and the Snakeskin is cool and unique. :cool: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AnW likes this.
  15. A.S.

A.S. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2017
    How were these shipped? First class, priority, etc.? No packages in my mailbox yet.

16. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    Mine came first class mail, with tracking, in a yellow envelope.

17. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Is the top one micarta? What are they calling that? Is it pinchable?

18. AnW

Jun 15, 2019
    They called it Snakeskin Micarta. It's really pretty cool, just having a hard time getting a good photo due to the glare. It is pinchable, but just barely. There's plenty of blade to grab on to, but the pull ist pretty strong.

LastRodeo likes this.
  19. AnW

Jun 15, 2019
    There were so many great choices in this drop. It was a bit stressful actually, since there weren't alot of photos of the finished knives. While I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of the options, I like these two quite a bit.

redsparrow and Coreysbu like this.
  20. Georgecatl

Georgecatl Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I received my Red Trout today. Very pleased with fit and finish.
    I chose the Popcorn Stag Jigged Bone.
    Another one for the Grandkids to fight over.
    sheepsfoot 2.jpeg sheepsfoot 1.jpeg

Matt_WY, mbkr, blademan 13 and 16 others like this.