red trout

Elgatodeacero, the crack is right on top in a kind of arc between the cover pin and the top of the shield (slightly above it). It's in a really weird spot, didn't even see it until I noticed a line of buffing compound that wouldn't buff away.

They definitely look good. I don't have any pics of the finished knives other than the one pictured, but here's one of the hafts before they were assembled. Of course they all look dull and uninteresting in this raw state, much better after glazing and buffing. The camel bone definitely looks good (top left under the snakeskin micarta), pretty similar to what's pictured here as it already has somewhat of a sheen to it.

Red trout knives 3.jpg

One other WIP shot, assembled and peened but not sanded and shaped:
Red Trout Sheepsfoot Knives.jpg

Eric

ea42 ea42 Eric, thanks for sharing your WIP photos. The Haft Pic has me curious... The glare on the snakeskin micarta makes it appear to have a diamond pattern metal inlay. Can you please verify if it has something inlayed in the micarta ? Thanks, -James

Last edited:
ea42 ea42 Eric, thanks for sharing your WIP photos. The Haft Pic has me curious... The glare on the snakeskin micarta makes it appear to have a diamond pattern metal inlay. Can you please verify if it has something inlayed in the micarta ? Thanks, -James

James, it's not metal. I believe it's a layer of brown acrylic or whatever they use as the binder. Very unique stuff. I was tempted to round the handle as I do on other micartas to bring out the layers, but doing that eliminates the pattern so I left it as is. Looks very cool.

Eric

thanks for all the help in finding the phone number.... I managed to get a couple of them.

Reactions: AnW
James, it's not metal. I believe it's a layer of brown acrylic or whatever they use as the binder. Very unique stuff. I was tempted to round the handle as I do on other micartas to bring out the layers, but doing that eliminates the pattern so I left it as is. Looks very cool.

Eric
Glad you weren't too tempted to round the handles on those micartas. I don't recall seeing that pattern before and a google search didn't come up with any... as you said, "unique stuff". So it sounds to me like you made the right decision, especially since one of them is mine.:) Thanks for all your hard work Eric, once again you've made a lot of folks happy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hes a fun guy to talk to, I believe i have a blue rope and abalone on its way.

Yea, he definitely seemed like someone I could shoot the sh#% with so to speak. Nice guy. :) I sent him an email with my top preferences after talking to him, so what I receive may change... But I'll be happy regardless of what is sent. I've been hunting for one of these gorgeous knives for awhile now. People snatch them up too quickly on the exchange, lol.

Be sure to post some picture when you receive yours! I'm excited to see these!

Last edited:
Stoked to see all the pictures of the final product and different handle types. Not to mention the re-emergence of the first batch of redtrouts made. I mentioned to a fellow BF'er that the way this was all done... it sets up the possibility of trades down the road. Rich and Eric hit another homerun.

Reactions: AnW
ea42 ea42 what is the closed length on these? The ones I've seen look awesome! I spoke to Richard and his daughter yesterday, he seems like a great guy.

I think this is the one I'm getting ...
0WU3kRL.jpg

Probably not the right thread but do you still plan on making knives under your new label? I remember seeing something about it a while back.

Last edited:
Well he is a character for sure!

Missed the blue rope jigged bone, but I picked up the sunset. Looking at the jigged bone in Erics picture, I don't think I will be disappointed.

I still NEED a blue roped jigged version though!!! Got to have the matching set!!!

Back