Redmeadow Model 1 (2nd run)

Are those dowels ceramic? They look like wood but I'm guessing NOT.

R

They're ceramic, stuck in some high temp firebrick.

Normally I spend a lot of time roughing up and removing a portion of the grain side of the stack pieces to make sure that there are exposed fibers to "grip" to the adjoining piece.

Long story short, this split leather is rough on both sides. Looking forward to see if the lack of a grain side will give a different appearance in the finished product. I could ramble on forever and explain all of that and the benefits and reasons, but I'll spare everyone., our attention spans are best suited for pictures:D

And yes, I am enjoying my new phones easy editing way too much.
20180921_170219-02.jpeg
I'll get this measured out and cut up for a large block that I can section out individual handles from.

Normally I spend a lot of time roughing up and removing a portion of the grain side of the stack pieces to make sure that there are exposed fibers to "grip" to the adjoining piece.

Long story short, this split leather is rough on both sides. Looking forward to see if the lack of a grain side will give a different appearance in the finished product. I could ramble on forever and explain all of that and the benefits and reasons, but I'll spare everyone., our attention spans are best suited for pictures:D

And yes, I am enjoying my new phones easy editing way too much.
View attachment 989821
I'll get this measured out and cut up for a large block that I can section out individual handles from.
Where did you source the leather at, John?

John, make sure you post some pics of it when it’s finnished. Have you ever get thought about having some stacked leather stabilized?

John, make sure you post some pics of it when it’s finnished. Have you ever get thought about having some stacked leather stabilized?
Part of me thinks it would defeat the purpose of stacked leather and lose it's warmth and make it heavy. Maybe for a dedicated filet knife that stayed in a tacklebox paired with SS?

Part of me is confused by the "what material is the strongest....I strictly use G10 because it's durability is second to none.....Wood isn't strong enough" argument. I mean, overkill has its place, but when does it stop? If NASA finds something better than G10 on Mars, will we say G10 is inferior, because the new G20 can withstand Lava!

Sorry Scott, got off on a tangent there lol. My short answer would be that I'm not sure of a benefit, but I'd be open to giving it a shot.

10 square feet in 4"x12" pieces. Depending on how clean I can compress the block I'm hoping for 4 blocks at the least, 6 would be nice, 8 would be great.
20180922_202736-01.jpeg

Never gave the weight part much though but yes it would increase the weight quite a bit, and it probably would feel a bit like plastic. I thought it might be a bit easier to work with though, I seen that Steve Johnson was messing around with it a while back and it looked pretty nice.​

Last edited:
One of the wonders about my Smoke Stack Bullnose is how light it is - yet it is a substantial knife with a handle that is, beautiful, comfortable and invites caress. ;)

I would be reluctant to mess with your stacked leather success. Just sayin'.

Ray

You guys would laugh your arses off if you saw me finishing handles. Half of the time is me standing there with my eyes closed picking it up off the bench and setting it down over and over trying to find where my fingers are unhappy and parking it with a pencil. Shutting my eyes and fumbling helps for some reason.

Leather gives a lot of freedom since it's so light, the bullnose would be heavy in the handle if it were a denser material. I like a handle that you can work your hand around without things prodding you.

You guys would laugh your arses off if you saw me finishing handles. Half of the time is me standing there with my eyes closed picking it up off the bench and setting it down over and over trying to find where my fingers are unhappy and parking it with a pencil. Shutting my eyes and fumbling helps for some reason.

Leather gives a lot of freedom since it's so light, the bullnose would be heavy in the handle if it were a denser material. I like a handle that you can work your hand around without things prodding you.
That sounds like the best way to make a handle that I've heard yet. No wonder you knives feel so good.

10 square feet turned into 4X4X6.5". I'll lose about two inches in compression. If I can compress things cleanly, I may be able to get 6 blocks from that.

Now the question is how to shuffle the thicknesses in the layout.
20180923_155706-01.jpeg

For all of you following along ( I can pretend can't I?:D) the pieces are soaking and will be compressed later tonight.

Tried to load a picture, but I'm getting an error message that the file is too large... at 556kb?? I thought 2 Megs was the limit.

Back