Redmeadow Wild Cards

I don't think you can go wrong with any wood, really. I have a knife made up in wormy chestnut covers but it's pretty small and not all that wormy - the wood's provenance is really cool though.
I've got a couple of large wormholes but not in a good spot for the handle, there are a couple of small ones I'm gonna try to work in, maybe they'll open up a bit.
20220928_145734-02.jpeg

Here's a better shot of the profile from directly above.
20220928_144613-01.jpeg

I've got a couple of large wormholes but not in a good spot for the handle, there are a couple of small ones I'm gonna try to work in, maybe they'll open up a bit.
View attachment 1943712

Here's a better shot of the profile from directly above.
View attachment 1943715

That is looking fantastic, John. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

One of the hallmarks of a good Lambsfoot, in my opinion, is its no-nonsense approach - in both its traditional construction and the materials used. A real "working man's" knife. I think most any wood would be suitable but American Chestnut certainly has that working class look and feel. I think the stuff I have came from some old fenceposts - it's supposed to be some pretty rugged wood.

That is looking fantastic, John. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

One of the hallmarks of a good Lambsfoot, in my opinion, is its no-nonsense approach - in both its traditional construction and the materials used. A real "working man's" knife. I think most any wood would be suitable but American Chestnut certainly has that working class look and feel. I think the stuff I have came from some old fenceposts - it's supposed to be some pretty rugged wood.
That's what I think too, a wild or dyed burl just wouldn't work on something like this. I had this Chestnut and some walnut stabilized for projects like this. I started to find the walnut and happily came across the chestnut.

I think I'll etch Redmeadow on the spine like the Cowbells and leave the ricassos clean. I considered coming up with some kind of Wild Card etch but I think less will be more on these.

I need to remind myself to make patterns in case there are any Wild Cards that we want to revisit. So far this idea is working out good and spurring some design thoughts.

That's what I think too, a wild or dyed burl just wouldn't work on something like this. I had this Chestnut and some walnut stabilized for projects like this. I started to find the walnut and happily came across the chestnut.

I think I'll etch Redmeadow on the spine like the Cowbells and leave the ricassos clean. I considered coming up with some kind of Wild Card etch but I think less will be more on these.

I need to remind myself to make patterns in case there are any Wild Cards that we want to revisit. So far this idea is working out good and spurring some design thoughts.

I do like the less-is-more approach (where have I heard that before? 🤔) 😁

Seriously though, if you ever offer this blade profile on your standard Cowbell line, I think you will find a few of us who would be more than interested.

On a different note, have you ever considered working with jigged bone on some of your projects? Cowbell sized knives would potentially make a good canvas for it - and it's a most excellent old school material.

yspgZqH.jpg

Really like bone but haven't worked with it enough. I have a small set of bone scales, we may have to try that out on a wild card sometime.

One of my favorites is Osage. I love the way it looks. That Chestnut will look very clean. Bone is very cool too! I like both jigged and smooth bone. Looking forward to not only this one but all the wild cards!

Looking great John. Think this one’ll turn out just fine. Chestnut also sounds like an interesting choice. Makes a nice handle material. I have one knife in reclaimed American Chestnut, and I think it looks pretty good

jLqhPyL.jpg

mbHQSVf.jpg

I was wondering if we would get a new pic/update since your back home! All three options look awesome. I'd say any choice is going to work out great 👍

I was wondering if we would get a new pic/update since your back home! All three options look awesome. I'd say any choice is going to work out great 👍
In the shop handsanding the last of this Cowbell run and working on some sheaths today. Good to be home.

The scales in the center have great figure but I'm leaning towards the far right one I think.

I really like the idea of using the Chestnut but picked these two spalted water oaks the other day and they would look classic as well. Thoughts?
View attachment 1955324

It might be an unpopular opinion but I think I still favor the Chestnut - it's a really clean look. That said, I think I would go for the right one as well if the Chestnut was out of the picture - little less busy and might be easier to complement its character on the subject knife.

It might be an unpopular opinion but I think I still favor the Chestnut - it's a really clean look. That said, I think I would go for the right one as well if the Chestnut was out of the picture - little less busy and might be easier to complement its character on the subject knife.
I'm with you on all counts. I really like the Chestnut and the right one has nice color striations(?) that will give a classic look.
The middle. Definitely the middle.
The middle definitely has the best figure, maybe we should try that on the Annual Cowbell for 2022?

I’d go with the right set too with the top (in the pic) forward. I would save the middle set for a larger canvas.

Agreed. The small handle on the Cowbell wild card would be hard to show off the middle piece

No spaltz! 😠

😁

I’m sure someone would be happy with any of those. I’ve just never been a fan of spalted woods.

Back