Removable wedging system for axes

Leave it to Steve to have examples, and pictures, and SAWILCO-marked versions on hand. I guess with the SAWil you pry up the tab until enough of the keyhole slot shows to get a screwdriver pry blade in it. Definitely any of these make for reversible 'field tightening repairs' instead of pounding in old keys, nails, screws and mower blade tips.
Of course we're getting off topic from Square_Peg's wonderful thread but I can live with this temporary 'wrong' turn.

Broadaxes are the only real reason I ever had to switch handles from right to left handed. I am a lefty by nature. Most of you ( about 90% of humans) are right handed so I also use an axe right handed for instruction reasons. If you are in the 90%, you may not find a broadaxe easy to use left handed."
this includes me.
i have been using wedges which are a little proud of the eye so i can remove the handle. i do this because i make handles and test different wood and handle designs. being able to remove the handles is convenient.
i can't swing a left-handed hewing hatchet worth a dang,.
buzz

Square,
i'm going to give your system a try. i have a few old heads to work with.

buzz

Here are a couple photos:

$_57.JPG

Leave it to Steve to have examples, and pictures, and SAWILCO-marked versions on hand. I guess with the SAWil you pry up the tab until enough of the keyhole slot shows to get a screwdriver pry blade in it.

A tapered steel removing wedge would work well to pull that out. The deep slot would allow the removing wedge to be driven in until the original wedge had been lifted an inch or so.

Yes, the Japanese have used back or front wedges for centuries. But they don't use the side wedge.

Back