1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Removing a glued wedge

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Maine20, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:19 AM.

1. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    Anyone ever removed a glued wedge? How did it go?

2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Only removed an epoxied one and it wasn't fun. Did you glue it or someone else?

3. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Did on a couple swiss surplus axes.Drill and a little chisel it wasnt that bad.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  4. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    I have never glued one but have been thinking about starting to. I will say that I Haven’t had any unglued wedges budge, so I am not sure if it’s worth the extra effort to remove if a rehang is needed.

ithinkverydeeply and Yankee Josh like this.
  5. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I just use a drill w/ a 1/4" bit and a chisel. They come right out. DM

ithinkverydeeply and Yankee Josh like this.
  6. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I shy away from glue or swell lock for the same reason you mentioned. I don't have an issue with heads coming loose or wedges coming out. It happened to me a couple times but it was my choice of material that caused it. I've been using white birch for wedges and i think I'm going to permanently switch. I'm having really good luck with them. It has all the properties of popular but is a tad harder. I know it isn't very rot resistant but kept free from water and well oiled i think they'll hold up fine.

Fmont likes this.
  7. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Just to let people know, Swell Lock has no adhesive properties.

8. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Where does White Birch sit on the Janka scale? I couldn't find white birch on the database. Does it have another name?

Yankee Josh likes this.
  9. deepobs

deepobs

Feb 7, 2019
    I have routed out enough to get the head off and rehang, I used a dremel with a small round bit, it wasn't pretty, but it worked

Square_peg, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  10. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Screenshot_20190316-204856_Chrome.jpg I was saying it was harder just from feel and not from a scientific standpoint. It certainly feels harder than poplar. I've been using it exclusively now for awhile and I'm loving it.
    Screenshot_20190316-205707_Chrome.jpg
    I wasn't aware of how hard white(paper) birch actually is! I've found it's still soft enough to conform to the small irregularities in the eye. Good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 9:07 PM
  11. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    This "poplar" or Tulip poplar or Southern yellow poplar, it's no poplar.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  12. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    "Common names" are an exacerbated problem in the USA, as the country is so large. Tulip poplar isn't poplar but it's the most common "poplar" wood many people in the USA run into. Our "cedars" aren't cedars, etc. It can be confusing, and that's just commercial timber. It's a problem across the board.

When you start to talk to people in different parts of the country about the same organism and they call it different things, the same common names but refer to different organisms in different areas, etc. I can tell you as a biologist I figure out what they are talking about specifically in the most literal sense. Because if you don't you're getting nowhere fast.

Common names aren't reliable without context. It's simpler and more quickly accurate to know the organism by the binomial name and then figure out what people are talking about.

jake pogg and Yankee Josh like this.
  13. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    It's the only kind of poplar we have in Maine. It's all junk. So that's why I call it poplar. But what do you guys mean? It isn't poplar? Everyone I know knows what poplar is. Except my uncle and everyone else pronounces it(Regional diction) popple.
    And our eastern white cedar sure seems like cedar to me! What do you mean there?

14. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    Oh i see. Cottonwood. Among other things. Wow there really is truth to the statement "the smarter you get the dumber you are". My whole life I thought, because folks here in Maine don't enunciate very well, that when they said popple they meant poplar. WRONG. Screenshot_20190317-093618_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190317-093631_Chrome.jpg
    I've always loathed poplar. Or popple I guess. They have a yellow fungus all over the trunk and they're just scraggly and ugly. The wood sucks and they don't live all that long.
    Our eastern white cedar though I do believe is a very good representation of cedar.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    A17 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  15. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    For just as long as you're talking with people in your own region then there is no confusion.

Fmont, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  16. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Our "cedars" are in the family cupressaceae, which is cyprus. Cedrus spp. are the "true cedars," none of them naturally occurring in the USA.

Poplar is anything in the genus Populus, but "Tulip Poplar" isn't in the genus. We're victim to a lot of this type of stuff.