Removing the LL Bean logo

TAH

Gold Member
Is there anyway to remove this logo without messing up Buck's satin finish? Would Buck remove it if I sent it back to them?

9-17-buck.jpg

Don't know what would work, but If'n it was mine I'd want to remove it as well. I don't object to the Manuf. putting his name in a tasteful manner (a la Buck) on a product. I sure don't like all the other graphics that sellers want to add.

I wouldn't mind if they stamped a small LL Bean on the other side of the ricasso, but across the entire blade looks ridiculous. It's preventing me from buying this knife.

Hey Joe, would Buck remove the LLB logo or would that be against the rules? :rolleyes:

I have a buffing wheel, with some polishing compound, that I bet would polish that off of there. Haven't tried, so pure speculation at this point, but I know it has worked in other scenarios. I, too, am drawn to the stacked leather handle, but not real enamored with the Bean logo.

Jack

That knife looks nice - whare can I get one ?
If the price is reasonable I wouldn't mind the LLB logo :D

its hard to tell by the picture but it looks like a glass bead finish. if you want to remove it, just find someone with a glass bead booth and ask if they would remove the lettering. make sure its not etched in the blade first.

it looks like a glass bead finish.

Are you saying that it looks like the entire blade has a glass bead finish?

I'm guessing that it has the brushed, satin finish that is found on Buck's standard models.

you might be able to tell if its some knid of paint by carefully taking a small sewing needle and prodding the lettering. dont push hard, just see if its raised up or etched in the blade. if the needle hits the edge of the lettering its some kind of paint or something similar and could be removed.

Thanks for the info. BTW, the knife you made with the stacked leather handle is outstanding. :thumbup:

is the logo painted on lettering or etched? thanks, thats the first stacked leather handle knife i ever made. over the years i have repaired quite a few and had fun doing it. i decided it was about time i make one from start to finish and thats what i ended up with. its on loan to cjpgeyer so he can play with it some. he mentioned making a better sheath for it.

is the logo painted on lettering or etched?

Not sure. I do not own this knife....yet. I'm interested in purchasing it, if the logo can be removed without altering the finish. I'd still like to know if Buck would be willing to remove it.

if its a glass beaded finish and some kind of painted on coating, anyone with a glass bead booth can remove it for you. i have to touch up a few of my glass beaded blades. if you want to see what the finish is like i can take some pictures to show you.

Well, curiousity got the best of me. I just ordered one. :rolleyes: I talked to a sales person in the knife department and had him pick out a good leather handle that was free of imperfections. He said the blade has more of a mirror finish when compared to the standard model. I'll worry about the logo when it arrives.

i would ask if they could check and see if the lettering is raised above the metal which would mean its some kind of coating.

I'll deal with the logo when it arrives. I have wanted this knife for a few years. I just couldn't take it any longer! :D

I already emailed Joe Houser to see what my options are. I also know a custom knifemaker that might be able to help. :thumbup:

Back