Renaming the 25 to the Inkosi; what's changed?

I wanted to start a thread here to compare what has changed from the current Sebenza 25 to the newly introduced Large Inkosi.

Hopefully someone who has both will soon be able to take some high quality pics comparing them. I'm sure several people have a Large Inkosi on the way, so it shouldn't be long. If anyone has info not included here, please post it below and let us get to figuring this out! :)

I know myself, and many other fans of the 25 are quite anxious to see how these changes may create an even better knife than the one we currently appreciate. Hopefully the changes will allow more people to enjoy what some argue is one of the finest folders in the world.

Here is the specifications page for the Sebenza 25 @ CRK for reference:
Sebenza 25.

Why the name change?

From this post:

Apparently: "The Chris Reeve representitive said that they are trying to differentiate the titanium lock sebenza 21 from the ceramic lock interface 25."

Fair enough. Naming the 25 a Sebenza was a contentious point for many, and now that Chris is no longer part of CRK, they are as entitled to call it whatever they deem is best fitting.

So, now we have the large Inkosi, but what makes it different?

The first change that immediately stands out, and arguably the most important physical change is the angled pocket clip.

Hopefully this moves the clip ever so slightly, in that people who can comfortably hold the 25 now, can continue to use the Inkosi, while allowing those who found the clip was a hot spot to find a suitable grip. We need some measurements here, hopefully those will come soon.

Here is a pic by BF member Shayjoshi, used with permission:

c1eb9bd64d768d26ee012898cb90dc94.jpg

Next up is the stop pin which has been replaced by a floating stop pin. The pin looks to be the same diameter. The pin is secured into the lock side scale with a single fastener, then sits in a corresponding hole in the presentation side.

Here is a pic from this thread:

InkosiDisasembled.jpg

Next up:

New washers, twin washers in fact. The first thing one will notice, is the positioning tab from the 25 washer is gone. These are probably a necessary change as it will allow equal support on both sides of the blade, as the lanyard pin is the the only part of the knife firmly securing both scales together. The washers butt against and are indexed off the stop pin, easy for maintenance. I think that is correct. Important to note, the large Inkosi, unlike the small does not have sealed washer pockets. They are actually quite open. I speculate that these will foul much faster than the 25 when carried in the pocket.

Here is a pic from this thread:

20160608_194338_zpsmwhczk0q.jpg

Pic by BF member 91bravo, used with permission:

DSC_0124_zpsguntllz9.jpg

Blade grind:

From this post:

"Grind seemed slightly deeper on the hollow grind, but she said that was because they were using a new grinder."

The grind is noticeably deeper than the 25. Should make it a better slicer, I can't see how it wouldn't.

Other changes we are waiting to see more about:

The tang of the blade has a grove cut into it, creating an interface for the ceramic ball. It does create a different feel and sound, but as my Inkosi has not been worn in, at this point I don't feel any difference.

Inlays have a new shape, waiting for a straight down pic, and a pic of the back.

DSC_0122_zpsbswekeau.jpg

Snake knot lanyard? At least the BladeShow models come with it.

Also of note, old box style was used for BladeShow, all the normal paperwork is included, but no tools.

Here is a video by BF member xICEMANx just going over some initial things from the thread, some of which has changed from speculation based on the small Inkosi to what is based on having one in hand.

[video=youtube;r-PbKqHj8fo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-PbKqHj8fo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ok I'm out of time. Let's see what we can come up with.

Thanks everyone who provided pics or videos for this thread!

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread! I was wondering what the differences where between the 25 and Large Inkosi. I also wonder when they will be hitting dealers.

Ice,

At this point, late summer/early fall. My regular dealer still has 25s on order and has not been told he is not getting them. So I think it's subject to a little flexibility at this point.

I LOVE the small Inkosi (it is weird now that I have to write the word "small" in front of Inkosi). I can't wait to see how it translates into a Large/25 replacement

Next up is the stop pin which has been replaced by what appears to be a floating stop pin. We will need some more info here and ideally find out exactly what was chosen. There is a pic showing a Large Inkosi torn down, but I can't make out the details completely as the pin is not in the pic. Again, please chime in! I'm waiting for permission to use it here.

Next up:

New washers, twin washers in fact. This is one exciting change from the 25. The first thing one will notice, is the positioning tab from the 25 washer is gone. Additionally the washers are designed to be more resistant to contamination and have larger grease pockets. Of course less contamination means better action and less maintenance. If the floating stop pin is correct, then this is a great improvement to the design as it will allow equal friction and support on both sides of the blade, as the lanyard pin is then really the only part of the knife firmly securing both scales together. The washers butt against and are indexed off the stop pin, easy for maintenance. I think that is correct.

DSC_0124_zpsguntllz9.jpg

It looks to me like the stop pin is the same as the Small Inkosi. I believe that stop pin is attached to the lock side with a hex screw but floats by extending through a larger hole on the presentation side.

I like that the washers don't have the little tab like on the 25. I also like that the stop pin isn't notched and glued in place. The small Inkosi has a groove in the blade tang for the ceramic ball so it seems likely that the large would be the same.

I'll get a large Inkosi eventually.

That's a sharp looking knife. No pun intended. One more future addition to the family.

Last edited:
Still amazed we havent seen pics of the other side yet!?

Nice pics Driften. Really shows the metallic finish of the inlays.

This picture highlights why I'm not a fan of the new stop pin. Looks like a ball, looks out of place, and worst of all it's on the presentation side.

It looks fine on the small Inkosi. I would also rather have it like this as a floating pin then have it fixed and bind against the pivot adjustments. So maybe it should have had a false hex cut into it to make it blend in more? I would rather have to smooth against my finger.

In any case everyone has a right to an opinion. Maybe someone could start up a business making replacement stop pins for people that want the knife but would pay for a different look.

I love this new stop pin, but on the locking side. On front it almost resembles an automatic's button plunger...or button lock.

Luckily for me I work from my house pretty remotely so I'll pick a different knife when I'm in public:)

Last edited:
Some changes ive noticed. I dont have an original 25 to compare but these are things i think might have changed. The washer pic is just to show how it looks.

I also think the jimping may be a tad less aggressive...could be wrong on all these insights, but its really hard to compare without having a 25 right next to me. Overall, the knife is outstanding BUT i dont notice any improved grip/non clip digging with the clip now angled nor is the action any smoother than the 25 i had...knife feels almost identical.

Last edited:
Back