Repairing Micarta

I put a dent / scratch in a bone paper micarta scale. I would appreciate any tips / idiot-proof instructions on how to buff it out. Please, assume I am not very smart and totally inexperienced. Thanks!!

I put a dent / scratch in a bone paper micarta scale. I would appreciate any tips / idiot-proof instructions on how to buff it out. Please, assume I am not very smart and totally inexperienced. Thanks!!
I'm interested in this topic, can't offer any help but folks may ask for pictures. Sorry about your micarta.

Any chance you can post a pic? I have a few made out of the same material.

I literally had this knife less than 8 hours, and I dropped it on the concrete as I was getting out of my truck. GRRR! I am still incredibly unhappy about this. I could always send it back to Allen, who would do an amazing job in less than a minute. However, I am considering dealing with it myself since it is just a scratch. Here are some pics:

YCZ9ECs.jpg
[/IMG]

R5r770Q.jpg
[/IMG]

how are you supposed to do it? or, how would i do it? :rolleyes: :D

i like my knives to be users, so i would just sand off the rough edges with some fine grit sandpaper. that's really just so it doesn't feel weird. you can then oil it to see if that suffices.

if you don't want to be able to see the damage at all, that may be a bit of a different answer. folks talk about mixing thin CA and (matching) "dust", spreading that on, then sanding. that helps to fill the voids better. i've done this a couple times with mixed results.

though, it appears that you've just scuffed it. so, the fine abrasive and oil may be just fine. if you go this route, start with the highest grit paper you have (e.g. 1000). obviously, you don't want to take off too much handle, as then it may appear to be uneven. then, i would have to either do similar to the other side, or just throw it out. lol. :D

but, please take this all with a grain of salt. what is acceptable to me may not be to you.

i am interested in hearing other responses....ya know, from someone that actually knows what they're doing. :D

EDIT: heck, you could even just see if a scotchbrite and a bit of oil makes it look any better. maybe start there?

Thanks for the pic. I did the same thing with a new GEC 77. Not quite the same price point but difficult to acquire. I was still pretty upset I managed to drop a knife that I owned less than 24 hours in a parking lot. The drop dinged the bolster pretty good. I used some 2000 grit sandpaper and then my buffer.

Good luck with the repair.

Thanks for the pic. I did the same thing with a new GEC 77. Not quite the same price point but difficult to acquire. I was still pretty upset I managed to drop a knife that I owned less than 24 hours in a parking lot.

Good luck with the repair. I don't feel qualified to recommend a fix.

aw heck, don't let that get in the way! I didn't.... :D

Haha. I edited my post. I would still say I am not really qualified.

i know what you mean. i like how you included reference to buffing. i would do the same after i oil it...i just didn't say so. whoops. thanks. cheers.

The above suggestion for fine-grit sandpaper will take care of it functionally, and then just massage in some oil to your taste. If you want to get technical, you can go to Lowe's and get a Gator Headlight Restoration Kit for use with a standard chuck drill and refurb it that way with the factory aesthetic in mind.

Send it back to Allen. This is a very quick easy fix for us. There is more than one method we could use to fix it. We could sand it out and refinish the tang, or we could simply put a facet there. The facet would take seconds, sanding would take 5 minutes. If you are going to fix it yourself do NOT use a buffer. Buffers don't remove scratches, they polish them.

Hey Charles,

I think your option here is to simply sand it smooth, especially if its already a knife you are regularly carrying. Phillip (Vance) has a nice set of instructions for handle sanding, but since it looks pretty minor, I'd say don't use any sandpaper lower than 400 grit. Finish on a very high grit and put some howards on it to finish the job. Make sure your scratch pattern goes in the same direction. I'm not an expert, but I've refinished several of my handles (some of which are fiddlebacks) and I feel confident in my results, so let me know if you have questions with the process I used on mine.

If you handle it yourself, you are going to need a half or full facemask with multi-gas cartridge to handle the dust and potential chemical release. Personally I would either let it be or let the shop take care of it.

Charles

give me a little bit. i just tried to recreate the damage and am going to make a tutorial w/ pics

UTC_Data1489513089938SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

i went back and nailed the corner too

These made me cringe at the thought and I muttered a sentence that started with "Ya crazy ......" (endearingly of course) :D Nonetheless, thanks for doing this and taking one for the team. lol

Now that's customer service!! Where else will they recreate damage to show you how to fix it yourself?! :thumbup:

Step 1. Use a respirator.

Step 2. Grab 220 & 400 grit sandpaper. Also find some gray & white scotch brite pads.

Step 3. Tape up blade to protect your knife & yourself ( i didn’t...shame on me) & put in a soft sided vise.

UTC_Data1489513644559SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Use a scrap piece of leather as a backer to the sandpaper.
UTC_Data1489513681243SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Here, always go up/down never side to side.
mkhLdHgd8ybBr58ZEjLGiJDOwg-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513726596SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Move along to the 400 grit.
UTC_Data1489513750509SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513782665SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513797340SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513812745SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513826166SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513855216SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513855216SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Grab a small scrap piece of wood,micarta or whatever you have that is hard sided & roughly 2 x 1.5”
UTC_Data1489513872442SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Here I have the sandpaper flush w/ the top of my backer. I am only taking less than a ½” stroke.
UTC_Data1489513882084SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

UTC_Data1489513890511SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Done w/ the 220 grit
UTC_Data1489513922489SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Through the 400grit & scotch brite.
UTC_Data1489513993614SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Wiped down w/ a little Howards Feed-n- Wax.
UTC_Data1489514078291SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

Back