1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Repairing Micarta

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by ncrockclimb, Mar 14, 2017.

1. VANCE

VANCE Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    im sure i've been called worse:D

no problem. it's been factory repaired. On the clock :D

2. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Yeah boyeeeee

3. Heespharm

Heespharm

Nov 8, 2011
    Nice tutorial... you can also get the particulates down by sanding under running water at the sink... but with the minimal at gas and particulate produced a respirator and a spot where air circulates well is fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    well...
    i could have typed it all out. im a visual learner and this was more fun.:thumbup:

5. adequacy

adequacy

Mar 19, 2014
    Phillip that was an incredible walk through. Thanks so much for the photos!

6. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    :applause:

:thumbup: Thanks!

7. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thank you

8. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    ...what he said. :D i can't see the pics here at work. i'll check it all out later. good show. :thumbup:

9. pertinux

pertinux Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Above and beyond, VANCE. Above and beyond. [​IMG]

~ P.

10. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That was a great tutorial! Thanks so much for doing that!!

11. Hulk2e

Hulk2e Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2014
    You guys never cease to amaze me. What amazing customer service, Phillip!

12. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thanks errybody.

honestly,
    it was easier for me to do this than to write it all out. getting my thoughts onto paper in the correct order is sometimes a struggle for me. you may or may not have noticed that most of my responses to posts are short and sweet and that's why.:eek:

my wife says im a terrible story teller too.

13. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    Thanks for taking the time to show us this process. A novice would think, hey it's only sanding-- but I'd be so wrong.

Could you maybe capture the epoxy mixing process next. Do you put part A into Part B, or is it Part B into Part A, do you color it before you mix or after, do you measure by volume or by weight, or by a semi-calibrated eye ball measurement. Do you adjust for temperature and humidity? Mix counter-clockwise or clockwise, or do you just gently shake it. Do you let the pot kick off before use or do you just start right away, brush or squeegee application? What type of wet film thickness do you shoot for? Just writing all this out shows me why people screw it up all the time on Forged in Fire.

Really, thanks for taking the time to show this and I'm sorry about my creative writing exercise, I just spent the last two hours editing a specification for flushing a water system, so I needed a little mind shift.

Thanks!

BTW- Epoxy mixing and camera's don't mix well in the end.

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    The epoxy.
    [​IMG]

The dye
    [​IMG]

We carefully mix them by volume based on Kyle & Cody's best guesstimate. "A" & "B" at the same time
    [​IMG]

The dye is added after the epoxy & hardener has been thoroughly mixed.

We use the gloop & spread method using a Popsicle stick. A toothpick is also essential. It is used to swirl epoxy into the holes that have been drilled out.
    [​IMG]

The pins & Bullseye are also coated w/ epoxy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is the application thickness you are looking for
    [​IMG]

15. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    This has turned into a very informative post; thanks for sharing

16. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    You win, Phillip, you win!

17. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    haha

took me flipping through 140 pages in the BTS folder on Fotki.........You Win:D

18. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    A counter-clockwise swirl?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    after the clockwise on a 24hr clock of course

20. tinkerer

tinkerer

Oct 6, 2009
    Seeing you have already sanded and refinished, I'm too late.

An easy way to fix MINOR dents and scrapes is to take a piece of wax paper and dam the area and take over it to form a temporary holding area behind the scratch.

Mix some 2 part 5 minute epoxy and fill the area in front of the wax paper. Wait to dry completely. Remove dam materials. Sand to smooth again. I like to use fingerboards from my wife's nail kit. They come from course (220) to ultra fine (720) and even polishing (3000). They work well on steel as well.

For future reference.

Larry
    Tinkerer