resemblance

charels

BANNED
i don't know, but the bk&t companion looks sort of like the steel heart, any thoughts?, not trying to start anything, but could anyone compare the two? looking for info from someone who either owns or has handled both pieces.

They both have black blades. Other than that, what?

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

Originally posted by charels:
i don't know, but the bk&t companion looks sort of like the steel heart, any thoughts?, not trying to start anything, but could anyone compare the two? looking for info from someone who either owns or has handled both pieces.

Geez! Sometimes I wonder why people have this need to try to compare apples and oranges. Maybe they have nothing better to do.

I have a 75 year old "lamb splitter" that looks just like the Busse Battle Mistress on steroids. Maybe the guy who designed it stole the idea from Jerry or maybe it's the other way around or maybe it's none of the above. Who cares?

Pay your money and take your choice. Quit trying to cause problems.

------------------
Do not lead me for I will not follow.
Do not follow me for I will not lead.
Do not walk by my side either.
Just leave me the hell alone.

GEEEEZ guys is this treatment really needed here. It's just a simple questtion. Like most of you I am a regular on the Busse forum because I love the knives. And it really isn't comparing apples to oranges. It's comparing one knife two another. So it's comparing red apples to green apples. And yeah I think they look alike too... Anyone at Busse Combat will tell you that Jerry's designs are among some of the most copied designs on the market. You don't think so?? look at the BK&T, look at the ontario survival bowie, look at any of the big beefy blades claming to be the ultimate knife. Now this maybe that there are just certain aspects of the "ultimate" knife that must be incorporated but they still look a lot alike.

Charels, I can see why maybe these guys took issue with this post. It might have been better placed in the General forum where a direct comparison is not under one of the makers tents. It might be wise in the future to post comparisons in a neutral arena. But never the less I think they didn't conduct themselves like gentlemen or as individuals who really understand the Busse mission. My advise given available info on either knife is to get a Busse. I don't know what BK&T's warranty is but you can't beat Jerry's. So that right there would be the decision maker for me since both knives really do look alike. A Steel Heart will be the only knife of its size you will ever need. Go with a Busse. You won't be disappointed. And the rest of you guys go take a smoke break and calm those fraid nerves of yours. It's only a BF post. Not the end of the world.
smile.gif

------------------
Everything is negotiable!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=879893&a=6401975

I've handled them both, and I'd go with the Busse. In chopping, the longer Busse Steel Heart does better, it seems to be more rust resistant( on the sharpened edge), and just feels beefier.

So comparing the two, I'd buy a Busse. I do think the BT&K Companion is a nice knife, though.

------------------
Riley
Do it right,or not at all.

Ok. Here's a comparison.

The style of grip is completely different. There is no exposed tang on the Companion. The scales are much wider and made out of a completely different material than the SH. The SH has a longer blade and a different grind. The taper on the blades are different as is the steel. The Companion blade is slightly thinner and I believe wider. Both blades are black but I don't think they use the same coating material (I could be wrong on this).

In my opinion, the Companion has very little similarity with the SH. In fact, it is far more similar to the Badger than the SH and that's only due to length. Again, the scales, tang, handle design, blade design, blade grind and taper are different. The Companion is a better chopper than the Badger but I think the Badger is a more versatile knife. But they are quite different in design and in handling.

Apples vs oranges. But I don't think charels was trying to start any trouble. It was an honest question. Others may differ with my opinion. Both the companion and the SH are fair choppers and may be similar in that respect, but so is my hatchet.

------------------
Hoodoo

Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

The BK&T warrenty is a full one just like Busse offers. I asked about this in the "Busse killer" thread. As for the two blades, I have not handled either one but the specs are not very similar at all and I would not expect the knives performance to be close to each other.

The Steel Heart has a higher grind, a thinner edge profile, better steel and a more ergonomic handle. There is a difference in length so there are advantages and disadvantages that go with that. Same with balance, the SH is blade heavy (but has an index finger cutout), the companion is not. And the same with blade drop, the SH is, the companion is not. The weights are, I think, similar.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 06-02-2000).]

i'm no knife expert, and to me, the two blades seemed to look similar, so i was just wondering if they were similar in performance. like i said before, i was not trying to start anything at all. for all the forumites that provided info, thank you sincerely. for uffda, well, send my regards to the poor stick that is shoved up your....well, you get the picture, don't you?

My friend. (?) There is a recent history of people coming to this site and others with the express purpose of stirring things up.
They usually begin with "I'm not trying to start anything" and then procede to start something.

If you are truly innocent, I apologize. If not, which end of the stick would you like?

Only you know for sure which is the truth.

------------------

I own both knives. For the discounted price point where the Companion can be purchased, it is a good knife. The Busse line though, well, is different in every way that is important.

Busse handle is far easier to grip, to work with, and will prove more durable in the long run. The Busse blade, far superior in really every way.

The knives can probably best be compared this way: The Companion is a knife that is handy to own, and when it disappears you will think you owned one and wonder where you put it. The Steel Heart, the Mean Street, and the Battle Mistress are knives that effect an emotional attachment, really. This spring I was doing some tactical shooting in the wilds, and at one point we had to crawl through some really rough terrain. Late that night, I reached for my Mean Street...only to find it gone. Spent the next day retracing every step from the previous day, nothing. I was sick. Got home, my buddy was on the answering machine asking whether he could keep my knife! Turns out he had taken it from my drag bag, forgot to put it back. Boy, was I glad.

Buy a Busse, or 3. You will always be glad you did.

I have read many threads, and i have seen many flame wars over which knife was better than which knife, and so on. so, to clearly state my intentions, i said that i was not trying to start anything, which was the truth. I truly wanted to gain some objective information on the performance of the two knives. That is precisely the reason that i wanted opinions from people that had handled or owned BOTH knives. The only reason i wanted to compare the two knives, were that, they looked similar, and i was just wondering if the similarities in profile(in my view), was indicative of similar performance. again, i thank everyone for their response, and for uffda, have a great day sir.
smile.gif

I only own the BM, so I guess I'm not qualified, but I don't think the knives look anything alike.

I think it's a waste of time and energy to pick at each other for 'trying to start something'.

------------------
A knife is by default a tool, it's only a weapon when a human chooses to make it so.

Take a chill pill.

"Maybe they have nothing better to do."

Maybe YOU are the one with nothing better to do then bash members that have an honest question. If you are not sure about someones intentions why don't you try giving people the benefit of the doubt. This proves to make for more healthy living then paranoia. Grow up!

Originally posted by UffDa:

Geez! Sometimes I wonder why people have this need to try to compare apples and oranges. Maybe they have nothing better to do.

I have a 75 year old "lamb splitter" that looks just like the Busse Battle Mistress on steroids. Maybe the guy who designed it stole the idea from Jerry or maybe it's the other way around or maybe it's none of the above. Who cares?

Pay your money and take your choice. Quit trying to cause problems.

Well, I tried, in my own way, to apologize for jumping on charels. Obviously, my apology was not accepted. OK, be that way.

Charels, I almost always have a nice day. Thank you.

Mr. Marino, you're kind of late aren't you? I apologized already. I guess you're just trying to be one of the guys, right? Hey, go ahead if it make you feel good. What the heck...I can take it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by UffDa (edited 06-06-2000).]

uffda, you obviously misinterpreted my last post, i accept your apology, and everything is okay with me, i really meant for you to have a nice day.

by the way, here's a suggestion for everyone that reads this thread, which is: if it ain't about knives, don't post it.
i believe that that would prevent most of the little skirmishes that sometimes break out. seriously though, i appreciate all the info that was provided, and next time, i will be more tactful/selective about what i post and where i post, and i also apologize for any inconviniences that this thread may have caused. i thank everyone for there time, and this even includes you uffda.
smile.gif

I think uffda made a good point in that ocassionally you get posts like charels that are aimed just to stir a pot that is better left unstirred. As I said earlier, and charels made abundantly and honestly clear, that was clearly not his intention. He was honestly searching for information.

In a very superficial way, I suppose the knives do look somewhat alike. I own a Companion and I've handled a Steelheart and I also own a Badger Attack. All three knives are great knives, including the Companion. The Companion is a heckuva a knife and a good bargain. And it will "do" for a lot of people who want a big knife to chop with. But, as several posts have pointed out, there are many differences between the Companion and SH and BA as well.

I think uffda was reacting to a pot that had already boiled over awhile back on the Becker line vs Busse. It's an understandable reaction but, what the hell, let's move on. You guys are at odds for no good reasons and you need to realize how impersonal your words can sound when delivered into cyberspace. If you guys would have had this disagreement in person,it would have ended with a nod and a wink and you'd be on your fourth beer.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

good point hoodoo, btw, did this busse vs. becker thread have any useful info?, if so, how would i go about finding it?, i couldn't find it with my search function. thanks a million.

Cliff-

Have yu actually used a Campanion yet?

Having used several Busse's and BK&T's this past weekend with the ability to do some direct comparisons, I would not emphatically say that the Busse handle is more ergonomic.

Actually, the BK&T handle for me is much more comfortable. No blisters, even without gloves unlike the Basic series, or the new
"Rasp" series from Busse. I also prefer the BK&T sheath.

The BK&T companion I think should measure about .230 thick, and .035 at the edge.

They are running about $75 bucks or so on the net.

How does that compare to a basic 5 (or any other Busse knife?)

A.L

------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

Anthony, no I have not used a Campanion. Where did you blister when using the Basics? Does "Rasp" refer to the Quilting on the "E" series. I was wondering about how abrasive that was. Concerning price, 1SKS has the Basic #5 at $150.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 06-07-2000).]

Back