resemblance

I agree on the handle. The wide scales on the Becker are really comfortable. I like the way the handle fills my hand. The handle is very smooth yet I feel I can get a good grip on it.

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony, no I have not used a Campanion. Where did you blister when using the Basics? Does "Rasp" refer to the Quilting on the "E" series. I was wondering about how abrasive that was. Concerning price, 1SKS has the Basic #5 at $150.
-Cliff

Cliff

I blister on the ridged index area on the side of the grip.The Basic handle is also far too small for my hands.

The rasp refers to the new handles. they are relatively flat and look like they are power sand blasted through a mesh screen to get that very abrasive effect. looks cool, however I question the efficacy for hard use.

I envision "hamburger hands" with that rough of a grip, although I admit I havent used one.

I like the edge geometry and balance of the Basic series. It chops and cuts the rope real well. Especially with gloves on, if you know what I mean.

I like them all, BKT, Busse, etc.
For my money, I will take better ergonomics and superior sheathery every time over exotic alloys.

I can sharpen a dull knife just fine.
I would like to have both, but sometimes it just doesnt work out that way. The way I look at it, I can get 2 BKT's for one Busse, if the Becker dulls, I can just unwrap a fresh one (I am exaggerating.......)

The asymmetrical edge has some merit whan chopping, its not the most precise slicer, or skinner however.

A.L

------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

I had some comments about the ridged areas on the Basic #7 when I loaned it out. Nothing as severe as causing blisters, but some remarks about discomfort were made. What you say about the checkering on the new "E" grips is something I have been concerned about. I shall see when I get one.

Which Busse sheath did you prefer the BK&T one to? In what way?

As for the Busse dual edge, I have heard Ron Hood make similar comments. Because the profile is convex/flat there will be a slight drift on a cut, due to the differing drag profiles. It is the same effect seen with Chisel ground blades, but no where near as severe as that is a large difference in the primary grind and the Busse Combat dual edges have just a small difference in the secondard grinds.

I have not found it to be difficult to control, and it is only noticable when really light force is being used. What comes to mind is food preperation, full slices used on vegetables mainly. Meats and other "loose" foods don't have the same effect as they can't exert the same forces on the blade as they are simply not rigid enough.

-Cliff

I like both sheaths.

The Busse is a nice "fold-over" design with solid rivets (plus)

The BK&T is a 2 piece design that allows the knife to be sheathed with dual edge orientation, that is you can insert the knife in the sheath from either aspect of the edge.(does that make sense?) It fits both ways with no rattle. (big plus)

I will take hard and smooth over the resiprene "C" handles any day.

In addition, if you do melt your handles off
or a 20mm cannon shoots them off, with the BKT you can easily remove them, wrap the tang and have a pretty functional knife. You can also store small items under the scales, although it really wasnt designed for that (cyanide tablets?)

Of course, I am being somewhat facetious, but they are both versatile designs with <excellent> steel and heat treat.

After using both on hard woods, I think an advantage in steel and edge geometry must go to the Busse, however I prefer the "overall" package of the BK&T line, even when price is NOT a consideration.

The Basic handle, especially on the 9 is woefully small for me as well.

------------------

I would rather a full tang on the Basic line as well, not so it could be extended and function as a hammer. I would however still like to have the grip enclose the tang fully. Handle slabs leave a nice metal strip running along the center of my palm which is not that friendly in winter.

-Cliff

Originally posted by Cliff Stamp:
I would rather a full tang on the Basic line as well, not so it could be extended and function as a hammer. I would however still like to have the grip enclose the tang fully. Handle slabs leave a nice metal strip running along the center of my palm which is not that friendly in winter.

-Cliff

Hey, how many busse owners would want an after market grip sleeve that would alleviate the problems encountered by cliff with the exposed tang? Material would be made of anything that gave the best combination of durability/comfort???? I know this is sort of off subject, but.....

remember now, you heard it here first
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by charels (edited 06-09-2000).]

Handle slabs leave a nice metal strip running along the center of my palm which is not that friendly in winter.
-Cliff

Cliff,
I suggest buying gloves. They are cheaper than frostbite.
(smiles everyone!)

A.L

There seems to be some confusion here -- Busse knives do not have any exposed metal on the handle. People who work in extreme cold consider that an important advantage. Wearing gloves all the time tends to be impossible; there are times when you need more dexterity than you can manage with gloves on. If you're sitting in the tropics and speculating you might think you wouldn't mind always having to put your gloves back on before touching a handle, but people who've tried it prefer not to have to do that.

I am not going to comment on the Campanion here because I consider it poor etiquette to go onto a manufacturer's forum and talk about other manufacturer's knives. I wouldn't go onto the Camillus forum and talk about Busse knives either. I think comparison threads like this are great, but they belong in the general forum or the Knife Reviews & Testing forum.

-Cougar :{)

Actually Coug, all Busse knives with the exception of the BASIC line have an exposed, full tang, and originally this thread was a
comparison of the Campanion and Steel Heart, both of which have exposed, full tangs.

The original poster asked for a comparison between the two competing models, since they are "comparable" in many ways, and since I believe I am qualified to make a valid, honest comparison having recently used both said models, not just viewed them on paper, I made such a comparison.

I also believe that if it is cold enough for an exposed tang to stick to your hand, finesse wont be an option since you wont feel your numb hands well enough to do much fine work.

However, with that being said, a two piece, hard morticed handle that seamlessly surrounds a full tang, yet is easily removable for cleaning, damage, etc sounds like a nice (but probably expensive) idea.

------------------

Please be advised...everything up to this point has been OK but I'm watching this thread carefully now...

The first sign of anything but nice talk about a nice Busse knife and a nice Becker knife, here on the nice Busse Combat Forum, and this topic will be nicely ended.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

[This message has been edited by Andy Prisco (edited 06-11-2000).]

Anthony :

I also believe that if it is cold enough for an exposed tang to stick to your hand, finesse wont be an option since you wont feel your numb hands well enough to do much fine work.

It has nothing to do with sticking to your hands. Steel is much more conductive than air and thus will drain the heat from your hands almost immediately. You can easily work in very cold weather as long as you avoid high substances with high heat conductivity.

A little less vague, I leave blades in the basement freezer overnight and see in the morning how they are effected by the temperature in various ways. Specific to the above, any exposed metal parts will limit my grip to about 15 seconds. The full grip on the Basic line has no such limit. I can take it from the freezer and work with it for an extended period of time.

Obviously if you always work with gloves on then the temp. conductivity is of little importance to you. The electrical may be a factor depending on what you do. It is of no real benefit to me, but I would take it if I could.

The full tang and grip idea you note was something I am interested in as well. I discussed with a custom maker about one and a half years ago. I have no need to remove it though would take that aspect if given it.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 06-12-2000).]

Cliff-thats a very good point and one I had not considered and a very valid supporting argument for an enclosed tang.

When I first heard of the "E" line I had hopes that they would be encapsulated, but alas, no cigar.

I know Red Green wraps his exposed tang with duct tape.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

The low, hoarse purr of the whirling stone—the light-press’d blade,
Diffusing, dropping, sideways-darting, in tiny showers of gold,
Sparkles from the wheel.

Walt Whitman

Back