• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Resolved: Jeff Simmons, formerly Aegis Knife Works

I sent a Hoplite to Jeff Simmons on the 21st of March this year after messaging him on instagram, and have yet to get it back from him. It had minor issues that he wasn't able to fix, since this Hoplite was a midtech manufactured by Millit and not him. He let me know that he couldn't work on it and would send it back on the 28th of April. I got a reply from him on 15th June, saying he'd been travelling and would get it back to me soon.

6th September was the last time I got a message from him, where he said he'd try to get it shipped out that week. He hasn't responded to my messages in November or December.

I know he's currently not making knives, but I don't feel I'm being unreasonable. He just has to go over to the post office and send it back, no work needed. I'm hoping someone here has had some contact with him in the past few months or can give me a phone number or email address so I can try and contact him that way.

That's why, unfortunately, I just assume that all custom knife makers that I haven't personally dealt with are untrustworthy, to be on the safe side. I'm generalizing. Sorry, but not sorry.

Lance Leon Lance Leon , thanks for posting and I seriously hope that you get your knife back. And F*#K Jeff Simmons.

Last edited:
Certainly not unreasonable. I wouldn't be half as decorous as you are being now.

You can attempt to contact him through Facebook if he's active there. Public posts usually work in these situations. Gets people motivated when their reputation is given the spotlight.

Contact him. Link to this thread (mention in title).
As others have mentioned, this tends to light a fire under their posterior.

Maybe Millit can reach out for you? Just spitballing here. Also, I would be insane after 8 months. I think you've been more than patient.

Contact him. Link to this thread (mention in title).
As others have mentioned, this tends to light a fire under their posterior.
I don't see him using his instagram, which is the only point of contact I have with him. I was hoping someone would have another.

Certainly not unreasonable. I wouldn't be half as decorous as you are being now.

You can attempt to contact him through Facebook if he's active there. Public posts usually work in these situations. Gets people motivated when their reputation is given the spotlight.
If you have his facebook page, I would appreciate a link. I haven't been able to find anything about Jeff or Aegis knife works there.

Maybe Millit can reach out for you? Just spitballing here. Also, I would be insane after 8 months. I think you've been more than patient.
That's a good idea. I'll shoot them a message.

I messaged Millit. I got a really quick reply from them; they haven't had contact with him in 4 years, not since they last manufactured Hoplite midtechs for him.

"I've gotten a lot of questions lately regarding why I have been under the radar the last 5 months. In January of this year, I was asked to serve as a Bishop in a local unit of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Not trying to push religion on anyone but wanted to explain that 1) Those who serve in the LDS or Mormon faith are volunteers and are not paid. 2) This service as Bishop has taken anywhere from 20 to 50 hours a week on top of my full time job and the crazy part is that I love doing it! There really is something special about losing yourself in the service of others! I am not finished making knives, just trying to get a hold on my schedule while I adjust to a whole new life style. I really miss talking to all my friends on IG. Shoot me a message if anyone has questions or wants to catch up!

1:55pm 06/05/2017 "

"Jeff Simmons
Owner Operator at Jeff Simmons Knives

Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina Area
Information Technology and Services
Current
  1. Qorvo, Inc.,
  2. RFMD,
  3. Aegis Knife Works
Previous
  1. EnablePath,
  2. Remington Arms Company,
  3. Lowe's
Education
Recommendations
2 people have recommended Jeff Simmons

Summary

Formerly Aegis Knifeworks"

Linked In

I got a chuckle out of that. You sure did edit it out quickly though lol.

I didn't want to offend people that are actually true to their beliefs. Not like these scumbag thieving custom knife makers (just the scumbag thieving ones) that always hide behind religion like everyone's too stupid to see them for what they really are.

Lance Leon Lance Leon , I'd contact the "Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina Area Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" and tell them all about their ass hat bishop.

I just saw that he was online on instagram earlier today. I've sent him another message including a link to this thread. If he doesn't respond I'll have no choice but to contact the church or someone in the local area and ask them to talk to him directly or give me his contact information. Hopefully he gets back to me and this can be resolved.

A different sort of dishonesty, but, I think, instructive:

"Dear David,

I’m sorry that your employee was dishonest in her dealings with you. I hope you have better experiences with Mormons in the future. The Church of Jesus Christ to which she belongs has published a document Of Governments and Laws in General, which has since been incorporated in our scriptures. It contains the following statement about the level of punishment that a church, any church, ought to mete out to wayward members:

'We believe that all religious societies have a right to deal with their members for disorderly conduct, according to the rules and regulations of such societies; provided that such dealings be for fellowship and good standing; but we do not believe that any religious society has authority to try men on the right of property or life, to take from them this world’s goods, or to put them in jeopardy of either life or limb, or to inflict any physical punishment upon them. They can only excommunicate them from their society, and withdraw from them their fellowship.' (D&C 134:10)"

Just wanted to insert an update. I wanted to provide full disclosure with date and time stamps for the benefit of myself and Lance since some of the posts here have become rather personal. Below is our full correspondence over the past months. I did receive the knife on April 27. 100% true that my communication has been slow. He's absolutely justified in that regard. I am not here to justify my lack of communication, just to give details to the background behind the request so that comments made (good and bad, I'll take whatever I deserve) are at least made with a knowledge of the background and not assumptions.

(300+ customs and 100 midtechs), I never had a complaint when I was making knives that I can recall that I didn't take care of or make right relatively quickly. This one is the exception. Search Instagram, BladeForums, or USN. I am more than willing however, in this case, to take the criticism over slow communication.

Capture1.png

Capture2.png

Capture3.png

Capture4.png

Capture5.png

Capture6.png

Last edited:
Update: I've received the knife from Mr Simmons, and so the issue has been resolved as far as he is concerned. The knife still has the minor blade play, but I will be in touch with Millit to see if they can help (if that fails, I will seek out a third party repairer).

Thank you all for your input. And thank you Jeff for coming through with the knife, despite the delay.

Last edited:
Back