REVIEW- The new Fiskars X7 14" Hatchet

Those Fiskars look and feel so alien to me. I just can't get past it.

Bearhunter and Operator1975, yeah it definitely looks alien compared to a traditional hatchet. I will say that the X7 makes me forget it's not wood handled during use. Personally, I'm into new high tech things if they work well and find this to be an attractive hatchet in that sense, but I understand the appeal of traditional steel and wood and realize that some might never like this hatchet because of how it looks.

Last edited:
Any idea what kind of steel? I could not find it on the Fiskars site.
The only thing I know is that Fiskars uses some type of drop forged stainless, possibly Sandvik steel since they are a Scandinavian country.

Thanks, Colorado.

I know some of the gerber ones were supposed to be stainless, but I doubt the fiskars is, it seems to rust pretty easy on the poll. Would be very interested if anyone does know what steel fiskars uses

I have tried them. You saw the pic of the busted one I am sure. Just not for me. I am not putting the product down in anyway. Technology is a good thing. I am just old school and stubborn when it comes to axes and hatchets, which is good and bad. Same way I am with Norlunds for whatever reason, and then also european manufacturers, and actually tomahawks.

I know some of the gerber ones were supposed to be stainless, but I doubt the fiskars is, it seems to rust pretty easy on the poll. Would be very interested if anyone does know what steel fiskars uses

Hi elasmonut, I called Fiskars USA and customer service said it is drop forged stainless with a double hardened bit.

Cheers, CW

I have tried them. You saw the pic of the busted one I am sure. Just not for me. I am not putting the product down in anyway. Technology is a good thing. I am just old school and stubborn when it comes to axes and hatchets, which is good and bad. Same way I am with Norlunds for whatever reason, and then also european manufacturers, and actually tomahawks.

Hi Operator, didn't see that pic but I definitely believe you. I've been using my X7 really hard now for the last couple of weeks to chop up everything from seasoned Douglas Fir branches to hard rock maple and bit and edge rentention has held up to my expectations. Maybe it's because I strop mine which might make the edge a little more chip resistant, but it seems to work. It's become my favorite hatchet and I carry it with me in the bush now as well.

Last edited:
I just bought one of the x7s. I am impressed with it so far. I added a paracord wrap to the handle though, the factory handle was a little small for my mitts and way to slippery for my taste. The packaging touts it as nearly ''unbreakable'' but that I'll have to see to believe LOL.

100_3621.jpg

Hi elasmonut, I called Fiskars USA and customer service said it is drop forged stainless with a double hardened bit.

Cheers, CW

Hi coloradowildman, Very intetresting I was expecting 4140 or 1050 or something, didn't say what grade did they? I too am guessing one of the lower hardness Sandvik's

I just bought one of the x7s. I am impressed with it so far. I added a paracord wrap to the handle though, the factory handle was a little small for my mitts and way to slippery for my taste. The packaging touts it as nearly ''unbreakable'' but that I'll have to see to believe LOL.

100_3621.jpg

Thrillbilly, cool cord wrap! I'm suprised you find the handle too small and too slippery. The handle is bigger and less slippery than my Husky Hatchet for me, which is another reason I like it so much.

Hi coloradowildman, Very intetresting I was expecting 4140 or 1050 or something, didn't say what grade did they? I too am guessing one of the lower hardness Sandvik's

Hey Elas, I would love if it was Sandvik. I have both carbon and Sandvik Moras and the Sandvik is a great stainless knife steel and has many of the characteristics of my carbon Moras.

Thrillbilly, cool cord wrap! I'm suprised you find the handle too small and too slippery. The handle is bigger and less slippery than my Husky Hatchet for me, which is another reason I like it so much.

I am what they call ''corn-fed'' LOL so most things are too small for me...and I just like being firmly attached to things with sharp edges LOL hence the lanyard (which I've redone and improved the one in the pic looks like crap) and 550 grip. On wood handles I usually take a small drill bit and do a little ''dot texturing'' to the grip area.

Great review! :thumbup: This thing is a great little chopper and I might get the x11 as companion. :)

I just got one, but have no sharpening experience. Should I get the Fiskars sharpener, bastard file, something else? Thanks.

In case you didn't see this before. It is what it is. Not the "X7" though.

Attachments

• DSCN1370.jpg
    DSCN1370.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN1369.jpg
    DSCN1369.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 191
In case you didn't see this before. It is what it is. Not the "X7" though.

Yeah, saw that before. Looks like you'll get a brand new one if you use their warranty :) I've had a few Wetterlings with loose heads within days of use but didn't have the warranty, so I had to spend my own money to fix them, which was a major bummer.

Operator, what type of chopping or batoning caused your handle to break? What were the weather conditions? That break would be a pain in the backcountry but the hatchet could still be used until it was replaced.

Thanks, CW

I just got one, but have no sharpening experience. Should I get the Fiskars sharpener, bastard file, something else? Thanks.

abcdef, get a mousepad along with some 220 and 400 grit sandpaper and run it up and down a few times. Then get a piece of smooth leather and some stropping compound (available at your local woodworking or knife store) and strop it a few times and if your angle is decent then it should become razor sharp. You could get the Fiskars sharpener but I'm not sure if it will make it razor sharp. A file should be kept on hand for repairs as the stock profile doesn't need filing (unless you want to convex the edge).

Yeah, saw that before. Looks like you'll get a brand new one if you use their warranty :) I've had a few Wetterlings with loose heads within days of use but didn't have the warranty, so I had to spend my own money to fix them, which was a major bummer.

Operator, what type of chopping or batoning caused your handle to break? What were the weather conditions? That break would be a pain in the backcountry but the hatchet could still be used until it was replaced.

Thanks, CW

Sir this break was caused by said hatchet being left at the base of a cherry tree aprox 28" across that was cut down, then the butt of tree landing on hatchet, and hence you have the end result. That being said, that impact would of probably broke anything.

Sir this break was caused by said hatchet being left at the base of a cherry tree aprox 28" across that was cut down, then the butt of tree landing on hatchet, and hence you have the end result. That being said, that impact would of probably broke anything.

Operator that's pretty crazy, thanks for sharing that! lol

Well...I feel better about my x7 now LOL...those pics had me concerned, but after I heard it was a tree falling on it, stopped worrying lol

Do you think the amped up protection where the haft meets the bit will protect the haft when splitting a lot? Ive been on the cusp of getting either the 14 or 23 inch one, but have been concerned about the haft during splitting. Although I realize it isn't a splitting axe, would it hold up to it?

Back