REVIEW- The new Fiskars X7 14" Hatchet

+++1 for the x7, had it a couple of months now & it works a treat for the $$$, used for camping, home fire & what ever i can use it for!! Have'nt even sharpened it yet!
Cheers Tracula

Do you think the amped up protection where the haft meets the bit will protect the haft when splitting a lot? Ive been on the cusp of getting either the 14 or 23 inch one, but have been concerned about the haft during splitting. Although I realize it isn't a splitting axe, would it hold up to it?

I think it would hold up fine, better than wood handles especially. I have a collection of traditional axes plus two Fiskars and have split several cords with the Fiskars with no problems. If the handle did break then you get a new axe :)

Thanks for the review.
As for me I prefer a camp axe over a hatchet. The hatchet is along when I do not intend any serious wood cutting, which is most of the time for my camping trips.
Regards,
Jerry

I didnt know sears carried them.
Im going to check with mine.

Thanks for the review.
As for me I prefer a camp axe over a hatchet. The hatchet is along when I do not intend any serious wood cutting, which is most of the time for my camping trips.
Regards,
Jerry

Thanks Jerm. I take both a hatchet and an axe as the axe is better for the big stuff and the hatchet (at least for me) is much easier and faster to use on the small stuff and kindling. Nice thing about camping is there's no need to choose since there's nothing to backpack in :)

After a month or 2 of fondling, i am getting out of the durn city tomorrow and FINALLY getting a chance to try out my Fiskars...expect it to perform admirably.

well I tried mine out....LOVED it! It cut superbly, went through everything I tried it on with ease...it is maybe a 7 out of 10 on splitting though, not the greatest I've tried...but it will split. It took what I gave it and asked for more...still looks good as new, LOL just a little scuffed. Edge is holding up, still as sharp as it was.

One sidenote....I am removing the para-cord wrap, it looks good, feels good...but during actual use it makes it a little fat in the hand, and makes it harder to slide your hand where you want it ''on the fly''. Just thought I'd put that out there in case someone saw my pic and wanted to wrap theirs...don't bother LOL Live & Learn! I do like the lanyard, I'm keeping that.

well I tried mine out....LOVED it! It cut superbly, went through everything I tried it on with ease...it is maybe a 7 out of 10 on splitting though, not the greatest I've tried...but it will split. It took what I gave it and asked for more...still looks good as new, LOL just a little scuffed. Edge is holding up, still as sharp as it was.

One sidenote....I am removing the para-cord wrap, it looks good, feels good...but during actual use it makes it a little fat in the hand, and makes it harder to slide your hand where you want it ''on the fly''. Just thought I'd put that out there in case someone saw my pic and wanted to wrap theirs...don't bother LOL Live & Learn! I do like the lanyard, I'm keeping that.

That's awesome Thrillbilly, thanks for sharing that. As for splitting, the Fiskars wedge-shaped head is usually at the top of hatchets I've tried so I'm sorry your splitting experience is not the same as mine. I love the way mine splits, but then again, the wood out your way may be tougher than what's up here?

Regarding the paracord, thanks for sharing that with everyone.

Cheers! CW

LOL it may split great for a hatchet....I may have been mentally comparing it to axes and/or splitting mauls! It was OK for splitting like I said, just not EXCELLENT. But for a hatchet I guess it was adequate. It split the pine great, but I was splitting some dried up scrub-oak, all gnarly and knots...it was struggling with that. I had to slam it into the chunk then raise the whole shebang and bang the hell out of it 3-4 times to split it all the way.

The handle material is pretty tough, as I was using the ''slam hell out of it'' technique...I had the head pop all the way out the other side a couple of times...so I basically slammed/split a few chunks with just the haft. It held up, not even a mark on it. (I hope ya'll get what I mean by that, hard to describe).

To be honest/fair to the X7...90% of my hatchet use has been splitting kindling inside next to the woodstove with my Dad's ''hatchet'' which is a full-sized single-bit axe on a cut-down (16''-20'') handle, so I am used to a heavier/wedgier hand-axe for splitting purposes. I always used a camp-axe or full-sized axe for camping, this is my first true hatchet.

REVIEW UPDATE.......

I have been using the X7 pretty regularly since this review was first written to chop up kindling, larger branches and fatwood stumps. So far, the edge has held up well even though I've chopped through a bunch of fatwood knots and hard rock maple. It is especially good for processing sticky fatwood since it has a no stick coating and a synthetic handle. The edge easily sharpens to a razor's edge and I even cleaned 12 trout with it just for kicks (it did and better than expected).

The handle is still as comfortable as ever and the chopping performance approaches my Wetterlings 19" Bushcraft Axe. All told I'm highly impressed with this hatchet and believe it will give many years of good service.

Is there any significant difference between the old annd the new Fiskars? Which one is best in your opinion?

I am having a new axe/hatchet, and i think it is going to be either the old or new Fiskars. I have alreday tried the old Fiskars and it is great, but i would like to hear what you guys think of the old and the new compared to each other.

Those last chopping photos are apple wood. Damn tough chopping that stuff. I'm impressed with how well it went through the tough stuff. Save the chips for smoking on the barbecue.

Back