1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Bad Rick Barrett (Resolved)

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Havoc550, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Havoc550

Havoc550 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 9, 2011
    When I said to update the posts, I did not mean to take anything down. Everything should stay up as a lesson to any knifemaker that wants to pull this kind of crap with someone else. What I meant was that any ongoing thread that I am not posting to should be updated that he actually paid me back. Regardless the ridiculous amount of time it took and the negative feedback he rightfully received, it is the truth, he paid me back. In situations such as this, honesty is the best approach, I had nothing to hide; I was honest about what happened and I am being honest about the outcome.

As far as his knives being "awesome", well, that part is still true. He does make good knives, his poor business decision to drag me along for 4 years is what was being discussed here. If he sent me a piece of garbage for $2200 or nothing, ever, then we have a different issue entirely. There are people out there that did receive their knives from him or bought one that was already finished online and are very happy. I am not talking about fanboys who hold his "personal knife" while he urinated, but regular collectors. I owned and eventually sold (over a year ago) one of his custom Skull Tap blades. I knew he made good knives, that is why I sent him $2200. Me telling the world that all of his knives are suddenly pieces of shit because of a really stupid business decision would not be honest.

The dude took a beating for several days straight online and again, I have all of you to thank for that. His reputation is definitely scarred and it will take some time to recover. And yes, I agree, that I received my refund because of said beating and no, I will never own another custom Rick Barrett knife again, period. The incident is over, all of the posts will remain online for years to come and potential customers will find it.

On that note, during this long, 4 year, process, I had been periodically checking all over the internet for any negative press about Rick Barrett. Some have told me it's out there, but I was never able to find anything. That may be why I gave him the benefit of the doubt for so long, but the feedback is here now and there is no changing that.

I will switch my heading back to bad (instead of no header), someone had pointed out that I shouldn't of changed it and I agree.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. Worldwatcher

Worldwatcher Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Well said! I agree all info is here and should definitely stay. You have conducted yourself in a very respectful matter through a difficult situation. That said Rick Barrett is still definitely a liar and would have been a thief without this thread and the FB one. Maybe he is in cahoots with Survive and Koster.

Triton likes this.
  3. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Great post!

Quiet likes this.
  4. JohnWE

JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013

You hit on something. It's the frustration that comes from wanting to own something that you know is high quality but the maker taints it by treating their customers like crap.

I've read so many of these stories and overwhelmingly it's not the quality of the knife, it's the lack of quality in the maker.

It's not even bad business most of the time, it's flat out dishonesty and theft. And that's what's so confounding, how can anyone who makes such good quality knives be so dishonest?

5. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    There’s talented assholes in every walk of life :D

jmh33 likes this.
  6. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Amen.

7. JohnWE

JohnWE

Dec 7, 2013
    That's been made painfully obvious in this thread as well as all the similar ones.

It was more of a rhetorical question but I'm still confounded by such talented people, people who work for years to obtain a following and a set of skills who throw their lives away.

Worldwatcher and Jsega51 like this.
  8. Austin CX

Austin CX

Dec 12, 2019
    A bunch of hating scum bags. Neil has a personal life to.

9. Austin CX

Austin CX

Dec 12, 2019
    H
    He didn’t choose life did.

10. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Are you a family member or close personal friend? You gonna trust Rick with 2 grand for 5 years without getting results?

Weird first post.

bonky, 4mer_FMF and benchwarmer380 like this.
  11. Worldwatcher

Worldwatcher Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes this and who is Neil?

12. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Someone on the first page mentioned that this thread/situation gave them a Neil Blackwood vibe. That'd be my guess.

Weird first post indeed.

bonky, jkwithawave and Worldwatcher like this.
  13. Ruzster

Ruzster

May 7, 2001
    But you definitely did choose to be an unintelligible bore. Welcome to BF @Austin CX! That’s ok. You can try again. Ehh, don’t bother.

Triton, Pete1977 and Mitchell Knives like this.
  14. Pete1977

Pete1977 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Life didn’t get in the way of Rick Barrett refunding the OP’s money for years when he failed to deliver on making the OP’s knife. Rick Barrett was either lazy or greedy. And until this post got Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives to refund the $2200 he held for 4 years Rick Barrett was a thief. So there IS a scumbag in this thread but it isn’t the “haters.”

Triton, Batleship, bonky and 2 others like this.