RIFFE WRANGLER SPEARFISHING KNIFE

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JParanee, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    My take on Fishing & diving/Scruba blades is a high chromium steel, 440 series, I’ve made & used. I sharpen every dive or three. If I can cut net & fishing line to clear...Tap on my tank with the spine. I can dispatch any fish or make my issues know with any Shark that I’m not easy eats. It’s fine by me!.... I’ve found most don’t wash their gear with fresh water well, if at all.. so?? Stay safe & have fun!

2. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    those are free diving fins! Run Silent, Run Deep!

I Boat dived off of Point Loma & did shore diving in La Jolla for many years. A long time ago.... Got a few nice Calico Bass with a spear in the latter..:thumbsup:

3. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    David Brown from Buybrown sheaths could hook you up!!

4. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006

Very cool

Get back in the water :)

I did thus a lot in my youth so I’m making a comeback :)

5. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

All great comments

If the spyderco knife had a proper sheath for diving I think it would be a great system

Mine loosened up enough that I would not depend on the current sheet system to take underwater spearfishing

I’ve been buying Riffe guns so I also picked up one of their knives and it is working for me

I wear mine on my weight belt only because when I try to wear on my thigh due to the case of me having larger size than normal thighs I had to get extra long straps even they were tight and I would get leg cramps I don’t want to wear it on my calf as you mentioned entanglement could be a big issue

I do agree on length they make a shorty that I contemplated getting but went with the double sprayed variant that only comes in 4.5

You definitely only need 3.5 inches for a fish kill knife but videos like this made me want a tad longer :)

Riffe as a company has been excellent and their Marauder line up I’m really liking

From the push button safety to the cuddledish design I’m digging them enough that I bought the entire lineup

[​IMG]

In this pic I’m swimming with the short 47 inch

[​IMG]

Here is the long 63 inch

[​IMG]

I’ve rigged the 47 and 55 with reels and a 63S with a breakaway

Trying to get to Maryland this weekend for some offshore weed line action with the 55

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    3fifty7 likes this.
  6. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Thank you

Growing up on the NJ coast I did a lot of rock and jetti spearing

I have always been a big off shore fisherman and as you saw in the video I needed to try making a comeback :)

A nasty bout of lymes disease this summer really hurt me and I started swimming after working out to just keep moving and one thing lead to another and the spearfishing was rekindled

mb> likes this.
  7. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

I’m all in buddy

8. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

They did

A young very talented spearo from California was hunting with us and he is an awesome photographer

His name is CJ Conrad check out his Instagram cj_conrad

Sergeua likes this.
  9. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

No to swim away from them :)

Saw you on Forged and fire buddy you looked great

Bigfattyt and Mecha like this.
  10. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Thankee.

Holy crap that shark attack video...the knife stabs on those sharks likely saved a limb.

11. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Or bleeding out miles from shore

Guys got the biggest balls I’ve ever seen

I would of let them have the tuna

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Mecha likes this.
  12. Steve Wolf Shimanek

Steve Wolf Shimanek

Mar 4, 2008
    Man, you gotta love the ahi to deal with that....way over a thousand plus dives and I have not had to go through that. For dive knives, i use the cheapest thing I can find, knowing that they may go missing on a dive. Last ones I bought were Cressi Assassins I think; I have a large stainless industrial drive shaft that I will try some experiments with to see if it is forgeable, and make a few dive knives if the material works.

NWPilgrim likes this.
  13. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    No, not at all. Is just a matter of overcompensating for the lack of lenght in the.... well, nevermind.:D

Fins length, width, material stiffness and angle (between the foot pocket and the blade) is dictated by the intended use. Just to mention two extremely opposite uses: On one hand we have the shallow dives in the surf in winter with lots of weight in the belt to compensate the thick suits in winter wich calls for shortish wide stiff blades... and the deep summer dives in warm water with no surf and little lead on the belt where you would be better suited with long, thin more flexible fins.

Use a soup spoon! It is much cheaper and works even better because it rotates as it tumbles down.

I carry my dive knife in the inner left calf. If carried on the outside there are more chances for it to tangle with your float line, but keeping it on the inside prevents this issue.

I don't like to carry vertically on my belt because it digs on my ribs. Some people carry the knife in the forearm (left outer forearm if you are right handed) but you are limited to very small knives (unless you are related to Popeye). And the crappy rubber hands they provide now with the knives are not elastic enough to keep them tight to the forearm. You could always sew a patch of Velcro to help locking it in place though.

Mecha likes this.
  14. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    An update

I’m still sticking fish with this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MESAV

MESAV

May 17, 2013
    I recently got into spearfishing, and I love it. I've been SCUBA diving and freediving for years, and spearfishing has become my favorite thing to do. I think I even like it better than regular fishing.

I'm going to have to check these knives out. I've been using a cheap knife I found on amazon. It gets the job done, but it's a real crappy knife.

[​IMG]
    Here are a couple of Florida Keys Hogs I got a while back.

16. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Awesome and more awesome

A good knife is so important in this sport

I’m coming to Florida around Easter

Take me spearfishing :)

17. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    This thread is awesome. I have to try this. My wife has been bugging me to take her spearfishing for a few years now. :)

18. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    Lucky you guys in the US.... If I ever want one of those RIFFE WRANGLER KNIVE's I will probably need to politely ask one of you to buy it for me in the US, stick it in a padded envelope and ship it to me in Spain... Amazon Spain does not stock it the few European Riffer dealers (according to Riffe's website) does not stock this particular item.

Mikel