Rockstead Knowledge Thread

Man am I looking forward to seeing some Ryo’s with the DLC-prism coating. I wish Rockstead spent a little more time taking photos and making them large enough to actually see something in them…

Man am I looking forward to seeing some Ryo’s with the DLC-prism coating. I wish Rockstead spent a little more time taking photos and making them large enough to actually see something in them…

I don't believe the Ryo will be produced in YXR7. It's also hard to capture a mirror polish on camera. They are knife makers, not photographers.

Perhaps this is the kind of photo you're looking for?

IMG_9799.JPG

Man, a lot to look through, and I'm sure an answer to my question is buried somewhere but I can't find it. I have two used Rocksteads coming in. A Higo and a Shin. Will Rockstead sharpen/service a knife that is not registered for a fee? I know the warranty is void, but I was hoping I could at least give them money to do it. Thanks

Edit---I found the answer buried. They wi do it for 80-100 or thereabouts. One other question though, how do you guys fill out your US customs form? Do you put the value of the knife?

Last edited:
No, sorry, I should have been more clear. I’m talking about their new series. And even if the photos are actually quite good, they’re only offered in super-low resolution.

Wow!
I see what you're saying now. Those look incredible! I had no clue they were releasing those. They do need to take better pics!!!

Reactions: now
Is the coating on the handles?

Is the coating on the handles?

Yes, sorry, my information dissemination skills have been rather low in this thread. They’re releasing three knives with a new type of DLC coating on the handles that they call ”DLC-prism”. It’s a thinner application, but super hard. The first knife that they’re going to release with this coating is the SAI T-ZDP. There is no further information regarding when the other knives will be released, but there are photos of a Ryo and a Shu with the same coating and hopefully they’ll be released during the fall (late fall, hopefully, so that I can save up some money until then ;-).

Anyway, here’s what Rockstead have to say about DLC-prism:

The coating process is the same DLC coating. However, some of details are different things. The oven is heated to 400 degrees celsius, achieving a surface hardness near to that of a diamont approximately Hv3000. And the thickness of the coating is 0.3 microns. At this time, we use this special coating to the titanium handle. Because, this coating color is very nice gradation. Please note : This coating color will be a subtle difference for each handles.​

Note that their normal DLC coating achieves about Hv1800 and is 3 microns thick.

Thanking you sir . I was thinking of pulling the trigger on another rocky, I might wait and see how these turn out . They sure sound good.
Yes, sorry, my information dissemination skills have been rather low in this thread. They’re releasing three knives with a new type of DLC coating on the handles that they call ”DLC-prism”. It’s a thinner application, but super hard. The first knife that they’re going to release with this coating is the SAI T-ZDP. There is no further information regarding when the other knives will be released, but there are photos of a Ryo and a Shu with the same coating and hopefully they’ll be released during the fall (late fall, hopefully, so that I can save up some money until then ;-).

Anyway, here’s what Rockstead have to say about DLC-prism:

The coating process is the same DLC coating. However, some of details are different things. The oven is heated to 400 degrees celsius, achieving a surface hardness near to that of a diamont approximately Hv3000. And the thickness of the coating is 0.3 microns. At this time, we use this special coating to the titanium handle. Because, this coating color is very nice gradation. Please note : This coating color will be a subtle difference for each handles.​

Note that their normal DLC coating achieves about Hv1800 and is 3 microns thick.

If I were to drop a lot of money on a knife this would be among them:
RYO-H-Blue-2.jpg

I think I love my Higo, but I really want to try a new Shin. I handled a used one recently, and was impressed by everything except for the detent. I could easily shake the handle and have the blade fly out. That is impossible with my Higo. Is this normal for the Shin? It is kind of a deal breaker for me to be able to shake open a folder.

I got it in the other day and its pretty nice, not sure how i feel about it as this represents a signifigant step down into the rabbit hole im not sure i want buuuuuttttt at the same time a rockstead has been on the list and recently i found myself browsing damascus UG sebenzas and realized i was in rockstead money and id rather get this first. Pictured with my small 21 tanto and these two make up my folder rotation, i got a zhunter around somewhere but its a safe queen....

View attachment 952766
hizen2.jpg
hizen3.jpg
View attachment 952766

Last edited:
Bought a used Higo that the seller said was unused. It definitely looks new. But I’m not impressed with the edge. I stroped it on denim with Flitz and it feels better but is still doesn’t seem that sharp to me. Not as sharp as my Sebenza at cutting through paper. The edge has zero nicks or defects. Also I can’t really get it to shave. Is this normal because of the convex grind or do I need to send it for a resharpen?

Finally had the time to read through every page. The primary information I was looking for was that on sharpening. I was going to correct Blues about shinogi-zukuri being convex, but it looks like he realized that later on. Thanks for all the info though Blues, it has helped me out a ton. Here is a nice diagram of the two grinds:
Screenshot_20180808-105213_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180808-114554_Chrome.jpg

Like Travis above, I purchased a used Higo that was supposedly used very little, but I was not impressed with the level of sharpness. I made the bluejean strop and used .5 micron diamond spray. This made the edge a bit sharper, although very toothy, and it still had problems with shaving hair. I then got 3M 2000 grit wet/dry paper on a mouse pad, and basically stropped always edge trailing. Went up to 3000 grit, then back to the denim. It became even sharper, but still not shaving sharp like my Chi (different grind) that can shave by looking at it.

I will now try to do a little sharpening on a spyderco stone as suggested by blues, edge leading, to see where that gets me. With all of the methods so far I have not made any discernable scratches on the mirror finish. Can someone confirm for Travis and I that a new Higo (Honzukuri) should be shaving sharp? It may be that the convex doesnt shave as well as the Shinogi, which would make sense. I'm just not too sure how far to chase this edge. One reason I purchased used is to practice sharpening though.

Lastly, I took the plunge and ordered the new Ritsu, so I'll share pics soon. I wish it was available in the YXR DLC, but oh well.

Last edited:
Finally had the time to read through every page. The primary information I was looking for was that on sharpening. I was going to correct Blues about shinogi-zukuri being convex, but it looks like he realized that later on. Thanks for all the info though Blues, it has helped me out a ton. Here is a nice diagram of the two grinds:
View attachment 962114
View attachment 962134

Like Travis above, I purchased a used Higo that was supposedly used very little, but I was not impressed with the level of sharpness. I made the bluejean strop and used .5 micron diamond spray. This made the edge a bit sharper, although very toothy, and it still had problems with shaving hair. I then got 3M 2000 grit wet/dry paper on a mouse pad, and basically stropped always edge trailing. Went up to 3000 grit, then back to the denim. It became even sharper, but still not shaving sharp like my Chi (different grind) that can shave by looking at it.

I will now try to do a little sharpening on a spyderco stone as suggested by blues, edge leading, to see where that gets me. With all of the methods so far I have not made any discernable scratches on the mirror finish. Can someone confirm for Travis and I that a new Higo (Honzukuri) should be shaving sharp? It may be that the convex doesnt shave as well as the Shinogi, which would make sense. I'm just not too sure how far to chase this edge. One reason I purchased used is to practice sharpening though.

Lastly, I took the plunge and ordered the new Ritsu, so I'll share pics soon. I wish it was available in the YXR DLC, but oh well.
View attachment 962114
View attachment 962134

I think that Honzukuri has stronger and durable blade edge, which slightly sacrifices its indigenous edge sharpness in a manner.
However, it easily keep workable edge sharpness owing to its blade material YXR7.
We can see that Rockstead used Honzukuri in most of their premium product line.

Wow!
I see what you're saying now. Those look incredible! I had no clue they were releasing those. They do need to take better pics!!!

Hello #Blue Bender,

Just went through the thread, I was deeply influenced by your confidence toward the blade material YXR7 with DLC coating, as a result, I pull the trigger on my very first HIGO X IW DLC.

Since I'm not so familiar with the performance of most of the primary blade materials nowadays(I can only compare to s35vn.), I would like to know the performance of YXR7 based on your personal experience.

Aside from the poor corrosion resistance, is YXR7 superior to other primarily super steels like M4, M390, S90V in terms of its edge retention and wear resistance? Hitachi tech info showed that YXR7 is a matrix high speed steel which has superior strength and toughness, however, I can't find anything to be compared to this metal.(some claimed that YXR7 is superior to M2, and this is the only comparison I found.)
I'm really curious about this question, thank you.

Last edited:
I think I love my Higo, but I really want to try a new Shin. I handled a used one recently, and was impressed by everything except for the detent. I could easily shake the handle and have the blade fly out. That is impossible with my Higo. Is this normal for the Shin? It is kind of a deal breaker for me to be able to shake open a folder.

I don't know if its normal for all Shin models but mine is the same than the one you tried. I can open the folder by shaking the handle.
Personally I don't mind about this weak detent but I can understand it's a deal breaker for other users.

I was able to handle the Ritsu at the Courty and Fils knife shop in Paris. Beautiful knife, however, I can't think of a use for a fixed blade of that size. I also handled the Higo X and I believe the Shin. Beautiful, incredible knives to hold. I was surprised by how grippy the little patch of same (string ray leather) was on the Shin.

Last edited:
Back