Rodent 5 as a camp knife?

Kalsu

Gold Member
I am beginning my search for a camp knife and was wondering all your opinions on how well the Rodent 5 would fit this role? I have a rodent solution that I really like. I am wondering how well the Rodent 5 would fill the gap for a bigger camp knife?

You should commission a custom camp knife from a maker so you can get exactly what you want... :D
I love doing camp knives...

Haha good idea! That's just it though I am not quite sure what I want in a camp knife. Is the Rodent 5 considered more of a "tactical" knife? I have an ESEE 4 but was wanting something bigger. Honestly I like the handles on the Swamp Rat knives better.

Kalsu, you said opinion so here goes. You say you have a ESEE 4, well the blade length on those is 4.5". Compared to the R5 which is (or at least mine is) 5.5625". ***Now opinion, I don't feel that the R5 will make that much difference regarding a camp knife. If your looking for a camp knife then step out and up to a R7. Now you have a much better do all around the camp. Keep the ESEE 4 or even better yet buy the R4:D and let the wood chips fly. I love the R5, BUT to be honest and fair to you another knife within the same blade length zone so to speak is not the right way to go. Just my .02!!! I'm a Swamp Rat through and through from the R3 to the R9's, RMD, RS some M-Series and etc etc. The SR-101 is EXCELLENT steel and will take care of any chore going, period...

Good luck in your decision.

Here is a comparison shot of the R5 & R7

Last edited:
Kalsu, you said opinion so here goes. You say you have a ESEE 4, well the blade length on those is 4.5". Compared to the R5 which is (or at least mine is) 5.5625". ***Now opinion, I don't feel that the R5 will make that much difference regarding a camp knife. If your looking for a camp knife then step out and up to a R7. Now you have a much better do all around the camp. Keep the ESEE 4 or even better yet buy the R4:D and let the wood chips fly. I love the R5, BUT to be honest and fair to you another knife within the same blade length zone so to speak is not the right way to go. Just my .02!!! I'm a Swamp Rat through and through from the R3 to the R9's, RMD, RS some M-Series and etc etc. The SR-101 is EXCELLENT steel and will take care of any chore going, period...

Good luck in your decision.

Here is a comparison shot of the R5 & R7

You bring up good points. I was thinking a knife in the 5.5" range would be a good camp knife. I do have the ESEE but honestly am not that impressed with the handle. So I was hoping the extra length and hopefully more comfortable handle would give the R5 and extra advantage. I will look into the R7 also. Thanks!

I'll second the suggestion on the R7 by RussMo. Some of my most used camp knives are in the 7 to 8 inch range, the Camp Tramp and Steel Heart E being the top of the heap. :) Its an excellent all around blade size.

Or you could go half way and get R6! You can ask customer service to have the top guard removed and you end up with supersized RMD ;):D

For size comparison:

Hmmmmm. I am liking the RMD a lot. To me the RMD or R5 would be the perfect sized camp knife. The R6 and R7 look to big to me, but with that being said I have never handled either.

I'd also recommend stepping up to 7"-8" blade length for a camp knife, anything shorter will leave something to be desired if you needed to do some chopping.

You're best value in this range would be the Scrap Yard 711, but the Swamp Rat Rodent 7 would be a close second. The 711 will be a good bit lighter than the R7 because of the difference in handle construction, this should make it more blade heavy and help with chopping abilities. The R7 will have a more neutral balance which would lend itself to possibly being better for smaller/finer chores.

I am the odd man out in the Swamp when it comes to my idea of a camp knife. I am right with you on a 5 inch blade and my choice would be the RMD, while the R5 is an awesome knife the RMD is a must own.

I personally dont find myself chopping that much so a 7-8 inch + knife to me is extra weight I dont need.

I am the odd man out in the Swamp when it comes to my idea of a camp knife. I am right with you on a 5 inch blade and my choice would be the RMD, while the R5 is an awesome knife the RMD is a must own.

I personally dont find myself chopping that much so a 7-8 inch + knife to me is extra weight I dont need.

Yeah, I guess it depends on how much chopping you see yourself needing to do. RMD or R5 would be great choices if you didn't want more of a chopper....:)

I'd say it all depends on personal 'camping style'. A lot of folks will not bring a knife over 5-5.5 inch blade with them, because they have a system of folding saw(or hatchet)/medium and small knife.
In most cases people who bring large knife with them, is because they like large knives and they like doing with them stuff that could be done more effectively with a different tool.

Your right on the button elof, knife size choice is a very personal thing. Some love those machete size choppers, some love the smaller slicers. I'm right in the middle, I've always had three knives: slip joint, small fixed, and a medium sized fixed. Never felt under or over stocked. Saws, I've tried a huge number and have never loved them. Personal choice. :)

Never been much toward Axe's or Hatchet's either, but thats another story of irrational fears. Those things make me nervous. :p

Your right on the button elof, knife size choice is a very personal thing. Some love those machete size choppers, some love the smaller slicers. I'm right in the middle, I've always had three knives: slip joint, small fixed, and a medium sized fixed. Never felt under or over stocked. Saws, I've tried a huge number and have never loved them. Personal choice. :)

Never been much toward Axe's or Hatchet's either, but thats another story of irrational fears. Those things make me nervous. :p

I totally agree. Personal choice that depends on your kit. I always have a hatchet or axe for big chopping jobs. To me a 5"-5.5" blade would fit the bill. So that opens up the R5 and the RMD.

Kalsu, you can't go wrong with either. The only differences are handle shape and R5 has about half inch longer blade.

One thing you might want to consider is the choil/finger guard set up. If you're planning to use the choil for longer periods then R5 has narrower guard so it should be more comfortable in that grip.
If you have bigger hands you can ask for liners to be installed, quite a few folks with large mitts complained about handle size on RMD, so it's an option to consider as well.

I don't have overly large hands by any means. The other thing I was thinking about is that it will probably be easier to get a sheath made for the RMD. At least for now.

Some of R5/R7s were already delivered. Azwelke, David Brown, PawPaw Kydex, J&G Designs will be knocking sheaths out for R5 as we write.

Oh yeah. I have an Azwelke sheath for my rodent solution. It is nothing short of awesome.

I'd say it all depends on personal 'camping style'. A lot of folks will not bring a knife over 5-5.5 inch blade with them, because they have a system of folding saw(or hatchet)/medium and small knife.
In most cases people who bring large knife with them, is because they like large knives and they like doing with them stuff that could be done more effectively with a different tool.

Thats me right there its my darn love for tomahawks and machetes that keeps me from packing in a big knife, not to say I dont like chopping stuff to peices with a huge knife because I do :)

Back