Rodent 5 as a camp knife?

Paul'ie that is good info but you need to use a little punctuation (some sentences) and paragraph breaks to get people to read it.

I would have to agree with RussMo, the R5 is very nice, but the R7 is in a league of its own. The R5 seems to be a bit small for using as a camp knife.

My fav camp knives are

Camp tramp
Battle rat
Chopwieler
Rodent 9
Steel heart ergo
Basic 8, and 10 and 11.
If I was going new ,I would go rodent 7 or 9
The Basic 8 is a awesome camp knife!!!
:)

Oh yeah ,,, we all have folders on us a eryday so I would go bigger than 5" and pair it with the folder of your choice and FTW!!! Lolimage.jpg

Last edited:
we all have folders on us a eryday

I dont ever carry a folder.

I think a camp knife can be ANY size...Depends on what you do when you camp LOL.

But a good do it all blade size is around 7" IMHO. Under 7" can chop and baton still but not as effectively, too much over 7" is a PITA for carving, delicate cuts, skinning/cleaning.

The chopweiler is by far my favorite camp knife. It handles everything i could need when camping. However i still normally take, and use, more that just it... I dont get out as much as id like so i try and play with several while i am out.

Looks like a Steel Heart E above, the Chopwieler is a virtual sister. I have a picture somewhere of the two together and the blade profiles are really close.

Probably explains my like for them both. :D

EDIT: found it! Love these two blades!

Leatherman is correct. They are soo similar. That's why I love both so much. World wood I guess I should have said we all have a EDC we carry. I too sometimes carry a fixed blade EDC. Mainly a AMS or swamp warden. Or active duty.

I totally agree. Personal choice that depends on your kit. I always have a hatchet or axe for big chopping jobs. To me a 5"-5.5" blade would fit the bill. So that opens up the R5 and the RMD.

If you have a hatchet, then you don't really want a "camp knife" do you? To me a camp knife replaces the role of a hatchet. What do you want to do with the knife?

I have a warden, rs, and rmd. After careful consideration, I'm holding the line here for a bit. I don't have a use a chopper much. I too got rid of my esee 4 because of the handle. I think the rmd is the perfect "only 1 fixed blade" knife. It is a great outdoors work knife. The rs is a nice smaller knife. I carried it today. It doesn't Freak folks out. The warden gets carried the most due to wait. It is light and slices well. My two cents.

I usually take the R7 & my Basic 8 is my number one Camp Knife.! Fact is it is going with me this weekend ~~ but I look forward to using them both.!***

When one says a "camp knife" what defines the role of a camp knife? Why is a 7"-8" knife suited for this application? Inquiring minds gotta know. I have a classic Camp Tramp but it seldom gets used. I'm trying to figure out how to apply its use more often in a camp situation -cuz I really like it but it rarely gets used. My 4-5" knives are used all the time.

Because a 7-8" knife can baton and chop better than a 3-5" knife, yet can also still handle the more delicate cutting jobs better than a full blown chopper... or 9+" blade.

When one says a "camp knife" what defines the role of a camp knife?.

Part of the problem with replies in this thread is that people define camp knife differently because of their preferences.

Quirt WW is only saying that so he gets an excuse to use his Chopweiler is all!!!

All kidding aside I am with you as I use 4-5 inch knives almost exclusively because I almost always take an axe with me because I really enjoying using axes.

Back