Ron Newton - The Forging Of A Knight

that was truly an amazing thread...well done with great explanation...oh...and the knife is ok too...just kidding...exquisite(sp)

Thank you very much Stephen for taking us through this fantastic journey. As you know, I love threads that show the making of a knife. This bowie is truely a work of art. The classic dogbone style is one of my favorites and I have never seen a better example.

Ron, you did very well!

This is an insanely cool thread, thanks. I have always thought that there was a tremendous amount of work and talent in ABS blade smithing, but this one is off the charts.

Exceptional!! is about the only thing I can think of at this point. Thanks, Stephen.

Stephen, as the others have allowed, this thread stands taller than most. But what really stands tall is your vision—and the extraordinary hands, mind, and eye of Ron Newton, MS.

The concept brings in the traditions of bladesmithing and older knives, but with the integration of modern build techniques. (Dare I say, 'space age' techniques?!)

It's easily THE most incredible bowie I have ever handled. Your construction images just locked up the vote. ;)

For those who REALLY wish to get a close look at this incredible piece of work, I include a large image for you to peruse. It's 1280 pixels wide and is 416kb heavy. Well worth the wait. (Look at those rivets!) See it here.

Thank you to Ron and Stephen for allowing me the opportunity to work with them on this. I was priviledged indeed to handle it!

Coop

Thank You so much for sharing,an incredible essay.
every element working together on that piece,the Blackwood is the perfect backdrop adding warmth and support to all the embellishments.
A Mastersmith Knife. Congratulations to both you and Ron..cigars are mandatory for a post like this.

THE TOUCH......
Few have it....Obviously Mr. Newton does.

Russ

rnandrews said:
THE TOUCH......
Few have it....Obviously Mr. Newton does.

Russ

No, me too, I was touching myself as I saw the pictures... :)

Well, I suppose the thread, and knife are OK.... :)

Now for my actual feelings, holy crap Batman!

I must admit, I have never seen a dog bone handle bowie I liked, until now, this thing is ridiculous, and I'll trade you the top half of my knife page for it... :)

Must have set you back a couple hundred easy... :)

Oh, one more thing, I hope you don't find it icky, but, I am postivie at least a few BF members pleasured themselves while looking at, and fantasizing about owning this knife... (I'm not admiting anything though...)

Thank you for sharing the whole process... that is one of the most stunning knives I have ever seen.

This is truely one of the nicest knives I've seen in a long time. But what bothers me a bit is the comparision to the old time bowies, they were users.

As in all masterpieces, this knife will never kill a "bar", skin a deer, "defeat an enemy." It will never get dirty, and will never, really, be tested like the old timers. (But I wouldn't either, still...).

Needs to do a hammerin! ;)

Dave

If you flip through Flayderman's new book "The Bowie Knife" you will see some fairly ornate old "users". Though none so exquisite as this, I dare say. For all of the magnificent engraving, gold inlay and pearl inlay, I still see 12" of sharp, useful steel. Though I highly doubt Stephen is going to go boar-hunting with it.

Roger

30-30 Cal. said:
But what bothers me a bit is the comparision to the old time bowies, they were users.
Dave are you familiar with the 'Antique Bowie Knife Book' by Adams, Moss, and Voyles? If you aren't then you would understand the comparisons. Pages 385-408 in particular.

That is a broad, sweeping, and limited statement. One that that book would disprove. There were PLENTY of fine presentation bowies crafted in the 19th century.

Coop

Oh, I know that, Coop. I've seen a lot of really nice old bowies. I meant that this particular knife should be treasured. It's a clear beauty.

Dave

Stephen, I saved this thread in my favorites! I have never did that before.

You have a museum quality piece as I'm sure you well know. Ron is in a league where there are few that can match his skill. It is a "God given" skill that he would (and does) testify of. Both of you are blessed.

I love it. period

thanks again for sharing,

darby

Nothing short of a fantastic thread, knife and maker. Stephen, thank you for taking the time to put it together, you are pretty fantasic too :cool:.

Back