Ron Newton - The Forging Of A Knight

Museum quality piece - we don't see very often anything in this class.

Question - what is the difference between wolf tooth damascus and ladder?

Joss said:
Question - what is the difference between wolf tooth damascus and ladder?

I had always thought wolfs tooth pattern only went part way across the blade, whereas ladder pattern tends to cover the full width. I make this statement from observations rather than a reliable source, and have recently seen a picture which contradicted this. So I prepare to be corrected by a more knowledgable source.

Stephen

I feel I should say something here but I'm lacking for all the right words.

First of all I feel truly blessed by God to be able to work with my hands and make a living doing what I love more than anything else. To have such a large family of collectors, makers, and enthusiastic knife lovers to express appreciation for my work is a reward that stands alone and brings satisfaction that is unexplainable. Thanks to all of you who read this. For without all of you knifemaking wouldn't be so rewarding.

Thanks to Coop for such a terrific job. His photography was much more than I had expected.

And thank you Stephen for believing in me and allowing me to take on this project. Stephen has some very impressive talents of his own when it comes to "computer magic".

And last but not least,thank you to my immediate family for tolerating all my long hours in the knife shop, weekends away at knife shows, hammer-ins and knife classes, and countless hours on the phone with collectors and knifemakers. My wife Angie, and my 3 kids have supported my knifemaking ventures since day one when I announced to them that I was going to try this full time knifemaking thing and give up my regular job at the Nuke plant. Good news...we didn't starve to death like some people thought.

Maybe I should thank the universities where my kids go to college for making sure there is a place for every single penny I make in the knife shop now. :(

Sincerely folks, I have enjoyed and survived in the knifemaking industry because of people like you who are reading this on the Bladeforum.

Thanks again to all,
Ron Newton

What a truly magnificent piece! when I first seen the knife I just sat and stared at it for who knows how long. Congratulations to Ron and Stephen!

stunning post, breathtaking knife! that is a gorgeous piece of work with more attention to fine detail than i've seen

The Knight is now in my possession ..... :eek:

As good as Coops photograph is, it does not convey the true magnificence and presence of the piece. From finnial to tip, it is a little over 17 1/2 inches. Despite its dimensions though it does not look big or disproportionate ... it just looks ... well, ... right, for want of a better word.

The wolfs teeth really do catch the light beautifully, I genuinely cannot describe the how I feel when I pick up this piece, it feels like I can only put it down for 5 or 10 mins before I have to go back to it again. The handle is simply stunning, there is no other way to describe it.

The standard and level of skill that can be seen in the fit and finish is also beyond reproach .... Ron's work is truley Masterful.

The balance of the knife sits just behind the spanish notch, which lends the piece a sense of menace and a true heft, and despite the artistry and magnificence of The Knight, when you pick it up your are reminded that it is a knife, and images of its ancestors and how they must have been used come readily to mind.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words given earlier in the post, and thanks again to Ron Newton for delivering above and beyond my expectations.

Stephen

Congrats again! I *know* how you feel. The Knight casts a spell..... :cool:

Coop

Whew - it must have been a relief to have one arrive safely. I'm always a bit of a nervous wreck when I have a knife in transit - and a piece like this - yikes! Congrats again to you both and enjoy!

Roger

That's an amzing piece. Just shows how much work has to go into something like that. :eek:

Mr Foster,this was a wonderful write-up and the phototgraphs were excellent.Altogether one of the better posts on the forums.Really enjoyed reading your postings.Can't wait to read about the other knives in your set as and when they get made.Thank you for this wonderful report.

Back