Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I wonder if a weak snap is an idiosyncraticy of the pattern. Like a little blade rub on a Scout or 2 spring Stockman, or a single spring 2 blade knife.
Perhaps more a combination of pattern geometry and spring material/heat treat specs. For the sake of economy in production the components likely are done in huge runs as well, making them pretty consistent in pull within a pattern.

Do some RR patterns tend to have better snap than others?
I just received my third Doctors knife and it has very little snap. (just like the first two)
On the other hand, all of my half Hawks have very good snap.
Coincidence?

Big big disappointment with my big sodbuster RR360 :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:. Now she closes without the need to push the liner lock and thus is getting quite hazardous of use. She has been used daily in the kitchen for 2 years but nothing else that could justify this huge gap. I intended to buy her red bone sister but will prefer a CRKT Torreya with adjustable pin (and 90% traditional look) as this is just a NONO. My hand integrity is worth the slight difference of price ($25 here inc shipping).
In a shelf I have a smaller RR1427 shine-in-the-dark little sodie LL, now I am very reluctant to give her to my Grand son.
I wonder if this is just bad luck or if other had the same problem.
RR360-openline.jpg

Looks like maybe a broken pivot pin? I'd return it for a replacement. Haven't had a problem like that with any of my RRs.

Rich

Looks like maybe a broken pivot pin? I'd return it for a replacement. Haven't had a problem like that with any of my RRs.

Rich
The pin is ok. Too late to make pictures, but on the smaller the system is different (same as on Case Sodbusters) and prevents any side widening.
I don't have any problem with my other RR, this particular one is used extensively -but not abused-.
Sending it back would be more expensive than a new knife and anyway the warranty period is over.

I read a post a couple of weeks ago about Ram's Horn scales. I just had to find one in a style knife I like. I found a Marbles MR362 Toothpick that fit the bill at a great price. I received the knife yesterday and it a great looking knife for a great price. The scales are very rough as expected. A smoother option would have been Ram Horn Bone but I wanted horn not bone. Enjoy!

DGmsY1S.jpg

efal340.jpg

nfzbsrr.jpg

I thought RR had a lifetime warranty.
araldite or the like will help quicker than sending back, etc...
on the smaller sodbuster the pivot is protected in a much efficient way from the liner spring pressure (with a shorter lever effect of course).
Capture d’écran 2017-09-24 à 12.10.04.jpg

araldite or the like will help quicker than sending back, etc...
on the smaller sodbuster the pivot is protected in a much efficient way from the liner spring pressure (with a shorter lever effect of course).
View attachment 770091
I know this is a little bit old, but I just check out my large sodbuster and noticed a little side blade play. I've only had mine for a few months but I also use this extensively in the kitchen. Time will tell how this holds up, but if I find more play in the near future then I'm going to pop this pin out and replace it with a more sturdy one.
Was that washer the source of this issue? If so I'd try to peen it over or replace the pin and do it over more securely. I know that pins can work themselves loose if the peen job wasn't done well.

solphilos solphilos this is just how it started, and the gap widens until the blade slip on the lock.
I think the problem comes from the washers, since the repair now there's still a tjny horizontal play but no gap yet.
If the problem comes again I'll replace the RR with a CRKT Torreya.

Last edited:
641_C9832-_E256-4079-_A4_F2-107426674748.jpg

I’ve been having a grand old time with my RR817 but I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop. It’s such a deal I thought it was too good to be true. No gaps yet but it’s still very new.

If the problem comes again I'll replace the RR with a CRKT Torreya.

That Torreya looks like a good knife. I may do the same but I am still very curious to see how a Case sodbuster stacks up. Or a GEC Bullnose (if I can get a good deal on one $$).

641_C9832-_E256-4079-_A4_F2-107426674748.jpg

I’ve been having a grand old time with my RR817 but I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop. It’s such a deal I thought it was too good to be true. No gaps yet but it’s still very new.

That Torreya looks like a good knife. I may do the same but I am still very curious to see how a Case sodbuster stacks up. Or a GEC Bullnose (if I can get a good deal on one $$).
I have a pair of bull noses but don't use them for food, because they're carbon. Also because they're shorter than practical in the kitchen. Same for Sodbusters, I really like them but again a bit short in the kitchen. i use them as steack knives. :)
I am very tempted by the micarta on the Torreya (and the unexpensive price).

It amuses me that people would complain about a product at this price point.
Has anyone ever heard the saying that you get what you pay for?
I would think of these as disposable knives. Use them until they fail, then throw them away and replace, or buy something better not made in China.

How does the CRKT Torreya compare to the Buck Selkirk? Both are made in China. Buck with 420HC; no idea what steel the CRKT uses (maybe AUS-8). The Selkirk does have a pocket clip and a thumbstud/linerlock. (Yes I know that's not "traditional".

Rich

Last edited:
It amuses me that people would complain about a product at this price point.
Has anyone ever heard the saying that you get what you pay for?
I would think of these as disposable knives. Use them until they fail, then throw them away and replace, or buy something better not made in China.

Rough Rider has a strong reputation of putting out a great product and for one to fail is actually highly unusual, a thorough perusal of this thread can attest to that.
Still, if one does I for one am happy to hear the complaint so that I can save myself the hassle should I decide to purchase that pattern.

Price really has nothing to do with this failure and it appears to be a design flaw with this pattern in particular.

I've had that happen on more expensive knives, too. At least you still have the shield. A bit of two part epoxy and you're good to go.
Yep. I've had several Case shields fall out and stuck them back in with gel super glue.
Just scrape out the residual adhesive, rough up the mating surfaces and re-bond.

I've had that happen on more expensive knives, too. At least you still have the shield. A bit of two part epoxy and you're good to go.

I used a couple drops of super glue on the one I had to glue back on, 2 or 3 years ago. The shield is still where it should be. :)

Back