Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Hard to beat the RR Smooth Tobacco Bone

6eMdBRq.jpg

But then again, the RR Saw Cut Tobacco Bone is nice too.

2GDRWEq.jpg

me too :). I have 5 of the series, they're pretty nice especially for the money.
I used to have a bunch of them, but for years I have been giving away RR knives to nieces and nephews each year on family camping trips. I never really thought too much about not being able to re-acquire them if I wanted to.

I used to have a bunch of them, but for years I have been giving away RR knives to nieces and nephews each year on family camping trips. I never really thought too much about not being able to re-acquire them if I wanted to.

I did just the same thing. The prices have hiked up here, I was looking at one of the new D2 models today, and it was dearer than some GECs I've had o_O

I sort of like these also for how ridiculous they are. Here are few for comparison.

6IAv4nR.jpg
Quite an impressive mass of metal!! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup: The big spear/pen blades are cool, but I really like the blade shapes on the bottom knife in the photo.

I haven't carried my Dogbone Jack in a long time, and pulled it out of the drawer for Thrifty Thursday. Or maybe Random Tuesday, or Old Friends Friday...
pujHTws.jpg
That's a cool pen knife, Rachel! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

RR2161 Copperhead in Damascus and Cinnamon Stag Bone

K9mUFqg.jpg
Congrats on the RR copperhead, Jeff! I think the knives in that series are quite appealing. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
So far, I have only the damascus canoe, but I suspect I'll pick up a couple of other models this summer.

Indeed. That halfhawk in particular
Agreed. The Outdoorsman halfhawk is at the top of my hunting list for Rough Riders.
Thanks; that halfhawk is one of my favorite knives. :) I traded away the first one I had, and like the color of my "replacement" better than my original. Here's what the first halfhawk I had looked like:
halfhawk.closed.jpg

When I dropped this Zorro knife in my cart, I thought it was a small Penknife! :rolleyes: :D

yJ1zrCr.jpg

Why do RR produce so many knives with Spey blades?! :confused: o_O
Congrats on the Zorro "moose", Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I have that on my wish list at a couple of dealers, and will probably order one this summer. The Zorro theme is fun, but the real appeal to me is that I'd like to get an example of the moose pattern, but I'd like it to have round bolsters.
I don't know why RR used a spey instead of a spear on this pattern, but I'm not "put off" by spey blades. Maybe RR's blade choice philosophy is "Use the best, and ignore the rest!" :D

me too :). I have 5 of the series, they're pretty nice especially for the money.
Many people use a phrase similar to this when describing Rough Rider knives, but I have mixed feelings about it. Maybe I'll start adding the last 4 words to my descriptions of GEC or Case knives. How does this sound? "GECs are kind of nasty, especially for the money." :rolleyes:

Just got these two. Happy with both.
lzhAcaA.jpg

3xS6nnO.jpg
Those are a couple of nice looking "Queens"! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
The bolster shape on the Barlow reminds me of bolsters on some models of original Queen Barlows.

- GT

Last edited:
Many people use a phrase similar to this when describing Rough Rider knives, but I have mixed feelings about it. Maybe I'll start adding the last 4 words to my descriptions of GEC or Case knives. How does this sound? "GECs are kind of nasty, especially for the money." :rolleyes:

- GT
I feel the same way Gary, in fact, I put in a relatively recent post a very similar sentiment about leaving out the “for the money” part of the “it’s a good knife” statement. Not sure if this was the photo from the post or not, but here are some good knives at any price! ;):thumbsup:
41CD56EC-D8A5-46C7-A5EB-B4007DEE9385.jpeg

arrived just a few minutes ago

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

blade on the left is bent up by the tip, which will make it not so easy to sharpen

tried to bend it back in a vise, but a scary proposition and it was more springy and did not keep the bend I tried to do, which I guess is a good thing ;)

Both blade edges near the tip are quite thick, which will make them less prone to snap off, all in all I like the feel of this frame and the blades will be handy, now...to sharpen it up!
G2

I feel the same way Gary, in fact, I put in a relatively recent post a very similar sentiment about leaving out the “for the money” part of the “it’s a good knife” statement. Not sure if this was the photo from the post or not, but here are some good knives at any price! ;):thumbsup:
View attachment 1545782
Glad we're "on the same page", Todd! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Those knives you posted are a couple of beauties, for sure! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sorry you got a bent blade on your damascus cinnamon stag bone model, G2. :(

- GT

Thanks boss, I tried bending it straight but that was a scary moment, safety glasses on just in case, I figured if it snapped I'd turn it into a coping blade ;)
G2

Back