Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I take it rough riders are cheap Chinese clones/knock offs?

If so, i will leave these for you guys/gals;)

How can you "knock" off traditional patterns made on multiple continents by various breeds of cutlers.

BTW people anyone heard more on the carbon bladed models?

I'm pretty sure Rough Rider Knives is a U.S. company that has knives produced in China. That's what I've been led to believe anyway. Nice knives, though. Their price makes them easy to afford and collect! They're sort of like the Hot Wheels of the knife industry.

Many of their patterns are very close or copies of other manufacturer's patterns. For some reason "clones" don't seem like that big of a deal in the traditional market.

My "Case Classics" moose:

img0505j.jpg

A Rough Rider moose:

130409_130438.jpg

Looks like a pretty nice "homage" to me! (With the addition of the match strike pull)

I'm pretty sure Rough Rider Knives is a U.S. company that has knives produced in China. That's what I've been led to believe anyway. Nice knives, though. Their price makes them easy to afford and collect! They're sort of like the Hot Wheels of the knife industry.

The Rough rider trade name is owned by Kevin Pipes who owns SMKW.

Best regards

Robin

I can honestly say being a knife collector for 35 years these RR knives are great for the money. Has anyone tried out the camp knife? have two of them and they are great! I also have a couple of Barlows that came from the factory with centered blades,good grinds and great bone detail. better than a few of my Case XX barlows.

Here is the Honest truth. I collect LOTS of makers from GEC to Case to oldies. IF I had three new knives in boxes and Needed a Sharp knife to save my life, I would always open the Rough rider and use it. I have handled and inspected 100s of RRs most likely over 1000 and they are BY FAR the ones you can trust to be razor sharp out of the box. In an out of the box cutting comparison the RRs KILLED the case knives.

Best regards

Robin

I am a big fan of RR knives. I find the QC to be hit and miss,but by far more hits than misses. I agree that they are the sharpest out of the box. I always wonder how they can get budget knives so sharp, but makers of the more expensive brands, can't seem to manage a workable edge. RR has a few styles others don't, definitely worth a try.

I am a big fan of RR knives. I find the QC to be hit and miss,but by far more hits than misses. I agree that they are the sharpest out of the box. I always wonder how they can get budget knives so sharp, but makers of the more expensive brands, can't seem to manage a workable edge. RR has a few styles others don't, definitely worth a try.

The difference lies in the political differences between a work force of free craftspeople and a work force of virtual slave labor, which is not a conversation for this Forum.

I've got two Rough Riders. I bought the Barlow 'cause I wanted to check out a Barlow without blowing the bank, and I got the Lil Mustang for my wife. Less than 20 bucks delivered from SMKW. Both have bone handles. Both are of amazing craftsmanship. Both close dead center.

Lime green bone Barlow:

WQOeDM.jpg

krysr4.jpg

And the Lil Mustang lockback:

cbPJDL.jpg

I can honestly say being a knife collector for 35 years these RR knives are great for the money. Has anyone tried out the camp knife? have two of them and they are great! I also have a couple of Barlows that came from the factory with centered blades,good grinds and great bone detail. better than a few of my Case XX barlows.

I used to have one of the Camp knives and it was a rock solid little bugger. No play and great snap on the blade and the other implements. Fit & finish was good to excellent as well. It had some heft to it and it felt like a little tank of a knife. I was always very impressed with that knife. I gave it to a friend. Not because I wanted to get rid of it but because I wanted him to enjoy a quality knife.

I've also had a few of the Camp knives, given them all to friends who I thought would like them :thumbup:

I love Rough Riders. Certainly not high end, but what do you want for $10? But compared to other foreign low end (mostly China) traditionals I've had, they are pretty decent in fit/finish. Similar in finish to the Chinese Colt line. I have dozens of them. A few have been lemons, but most pretty nice. With an edge reprofile and sharpening, they make a nice gift for basic uses.

The difference lies in the political differences between a work force of free craftspeople and a work force of virtual slave labor, which is not a conversation for this Forum.

So why bring it up? A lot of U.S.A. makers have knives made "offshore" - traditional and otherwise.
I've bought about 15 of these over a couple of year period and would certainly buy more if the postage and packing from the U.S.A. wasn't so high. The available ones in the U.K. are limited.

Has anyone tried Marbles also done by SMKW. I just got a stag bone equal end whittler and a cattleman jack Fit and finished are very good Better than RR even tho' they are made in the same factory(I already knew it but was told by a SMKW employee last week).

Side note: To my knowledge all the pocket knives are made in the RR factory. The machetes are made in South America and the fixed blade especially if they are Damascus are made in Pakistan.

Last edited:
Yes, the Marbles from the RR factory are at least the equal of the RR branded knives. I've had several.

Medium stockman
MarblesStockman.jpg~original

Large jack
IMG_0614.jpg~original

This is not the place for political discussion.
This is not the place for the discussion of where to buy.
If you are scratching your head and wondering why I'm posting this, then you need to reacquaint yourself with the forum guidelines.

Back