RTAK II User Opinions Wanted.

Twenty minutes with a half round file does wonders for those Ontario scales. (Wear a mask)
I'll try to find pics of my RD7

Thanks for the reminder Beastchopper Beastchopper (since I'd forgotten about it, it was easier to just take new pictures)
TxAb8p5.jpg

5cCER15.jpg

There's certainly room for improvement; but I was on my way out to use it when I decided to do it...and I've just never felt compelled to go back and tweak them.

Nice RD7 MOD! Simple and easy, and if you over do it, you can order new micarta slabs from OKC pretty affordably.

Thanks for the reminder Beastchopper Beastchopper (since I'd forgotten about it, it was easier to just take new pictures)
TxAb8p5.jpg

5cCER15.jpg

There's certainly room for improvement; but I was on my way out to use it when I decided to do it...and I've just never felt compelled to go back and tweak them.

Looks good to me, I like the contour. The file left it smooth and clean like that?

The file left it smooth and clean like that?
Now you've got me wondering if I sanded it at some point. I definitely did the shaping with a file; but it was years ago. I don't remember doing so; but I very well may have tried to pretty it up a little.

Now that Ontario has switched steels on the woodsman and has stopped making the rd9 the rtak2 is probably the best woods chopper Ontario currently makes.

It’s not .25” thick though, so it’s lighter and more flexible. Also the balance point is closer to the handle, making it easier to change direction on a swing yet necessitating more control over the wrist for chopping.

It’s very very affordable when on sale, like $65 at times.

Lighter touch while batoning or chopping will transmit hardly any vibration.

I honestly believe that Everyone who doesn’t already own a junglas should buy this blade while it’s still being produced.
I assume that if the handle is too big one can grind down the full tang handle then sand the slabs to fit without too much trouble if one is careful and uses the right tools.

I grabbed a set of tkc g10 scales for my rtak II and it completely changed that blade. I can't even describe how much better they are than those horrible stock scales.

I like them better than my stock junglas scales. Plus they look great too.

I grabbed a set of tkc g10 scales for my rtak II and it completely changed that blade. I can't even describe how much better they are than those horrible stock scales.

I like them better than my stock junglas scales. Plus they look great too.

I assume the tkc scales are thicker? Being micarta any modification except enlargement is easy and much more price conscious than buying aftermarket scales. If they were thicker I’d consider buying them.

I assume the tkc scales are thicker? Being micarta any modification except enlargement is easy and much more price conscious than buying aftermarket scales. If they were thicker I’d consider buying them.
The TKC scales for the full size Becker lineup are a bit slimmer than the stock scales.
While I've not sampled their Ontario replacement scales, I would be quite surprised to find that they were thicker than stock.

Oh no, they are thinner with a palm swell. The rtak scales in stock form are huge and very square. I'm a big guy with XL hands and I felt the stock rtak scales were usable but uncomfortable.

The square, blocky handles of the rtak2 are what make it so easy to control. I prefer taking this knife on excursions into woods where I know there will be a lot of cutting through smaller branches, vines or weeds to a similarly sized busse at .28+” thick. The balance point being closer to the handle puts less strain on the wrist while carrying it. The 5160 takes a shaving(though the edge angle is not ideal for this purpose)sharp edge with little effort, stays sharp through at least several hours of chopping, has yet to chip on me, and for the above reasons(as well as it 10” length) has clear advantages over the machete when not actually clearing a trail for others to follow. It will also serve for wood/fire and food prep when necessary. As usual with Ontario, the best value blade in its class by far.

Last edited:
Back