Russian traditional folders?

I realised recently that, while many countries are well represented in the forum, I've rarely seen any Russian traditional folders. Some internet searching uncovered various styles of traditional Russian fixed-blades, as well as some interesting modern Russian folders, but virtually no traditional Russian folding knives.

Does anyone have any information on Russian traditional folders?

Type soviet pocket knives on etsy and have a look around. Then keep searching from there. Search in Russian etc. google should translate.

no-shouting-talking-out-of-place-or-yelling-ever-photo-u1

makandr makandr we summon you!

Nice thread P Padawan ! I've also been curious about Russian made traditionals. If we have any fellow Russian porch members here, I would also like to add the question, are there any CURRENTLY being made today, as well?

Nice thread P Padawan ! I've also been curious about Russian made traditionals. If we have any fellow Russian porch members here, I would also like to add the question, are there any CURRENTLY being made today, as well?

CKF recently did a modern tribute to this famous Russian traditional knife which has a squirrel on it. However the modern take is a framelock.

antique-soviet-belka-pocket-knife_1_fd3578fa9a1123fbce10b123a1a4c868.jpg

makandr makandr Thanks for the valuable link, had a quick look through the first few pages. Plenty of interesting Soviet era multi tool types and gardening knives/pruners etc. Gives me some practice in reading Russian too :thumbsup:

Years ago I saw a very unusual old Russian knife, from Tsarist times I believe, with a Squirrel on the handle. I wasn't able to examine it as it was in a display case but it was similar to what Lapedog Lapedog just showed. It's noteworthy that long ago Squirrel pelts were actually used as a currency and value was measured in them, perhaps this is the connexion?

Regards, Will

Squirrel is a soviet knife although hunting for a squirrel is still a traditional occupation of northern peoples.

Nice knives, guys!

I used to think for a long time that I had a Russian knife. Turns out it's Yugoslavian ... (by a company called Iskra, which I still don't know if it's the same as the electro appliance company Iskra or not). I have two unmarked knives that look like fake Sheffields, perhaps either was made in Russia, but who knows. Probably not. So no Russian knives from me, sadly ...

Last edited:
Since 2001 there has been an English language Russian knife magazine - Prorez - I'm sure it would be of interest to members here :thumbsup:

I picked this Russian knife in an antique shop a few years back, researching it was very interesting, and I had some great help from makandr makandr :)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/help-with-identifying-an-obscure-older-knife.1429314/

An English market trader I know sometimes sells off knives he bought while living in Russia 20 years ago, but they are not well-made, and he always asks a lot of money for them :(

English language Russian knife maga....whaaat?
How is it then that as an Australian British Colonial Subject ex pat Englishman myself I have only ever been able to source one copy of Blade, an American publication .
It simply wont do.
I asked the Chinese lady who ran the newsagent ,Mrs Grumpy, if she could get me a subscription and she shouted at me ...something about people who order subscriptions and never return to pay for them . I gave her my best Benny Hill look of shocked disbelief and left....I have never set eyes on any blade/knife specific edition since. The annoying bit is that there are Aussie Shooters mags includi g bowhunting and at least 2 specific to pig shooting as well as 3 or 4 on feral deer hunting...usually in the section with parrot keeper monthly and aquarium hobbyist gazette....even Scales and Tails (reptiles) went out of print a few years ago.
:(

Kizlyar is a Russian brand.
Mostly fixed hunting or military knives.
There waere some on a dealer table at the Sydney knife show a couple of years ago and they are well advertised in the aussie shooters mags....I even had the bumper sticker on my ute for while.

English language Russian knife maga....whaaat?
How is it then that as an Australian British Colonial Subject ex pat Englishman myself I have only ever been able to source one copy of Blade, an American publication .
It simply wont do.
I asked the Chinese lady who ran the newsagent ,Mrs Grumpy, if she could get me a subscription and she shouted at me ...something about people who order subscriptions and never return to pay for them . I gave her my best Benny Hill look of shocked disbelief and left....I have never set eyes on any blade/knife specific edition since. The annoying bit is that there are Aussie Shooters mags includi g bowhunting and at least 2 specific to pig shooting as well as 3 or 4 on feral deer hunting...usually in the section with parrot keeper monthly and aquarium hobbyist gazette....even Scales and Tails (reptiles) went out of print a few years ago.
:(

But surely magazines about hunting ferral cats are still going strong, no? o_O:p

Back