Russian traditional folders?

ZUlk4jr.jpg
This explains a mystery of mine. In the movie Enemy at The Gates, Vasily Zaytsev uses a folder tied to a cord to "fish" a Mosin Nagant over to himself. He opens it to halfstop ties it on a string, hooks the sling then proceeded to drag a 9 pound rifle across a rubble strewn street. Talk about a STONG backspring! Seriously though nice idea for a thread, can't wait to see some pics here on the subject.

You need an image hosting site, imgur for instance, then post the link and it appears as a direct picture.

This explains a mystery of mine. In the movie Enemy at The Gates, Vasily Zaytsev uses a folder tied to a cord to "fish" a Mosin Nagant over to himself. He opens it to halfstop ties it on a string, hooks the sling then proceeded to drag a 9 pound rifle across a rubble strewn street. Talk about a STONG backspring! Seriously though nice idea for a thread, can't wait to see some pics here on the subject.

No wonder mosins always have dinged up stocks.

Very interesting to see these knives R Rostovsky . Thank you.

Was this ‘lobster’ style of knife a standard type of Soviet pocket knife during the 20th century? Or is it just the work of a particular maker?

Can you please let us know what the Cyrillic writing on the knife on the left says?

Thanks again.

Cambertree Cambertree Chin, it say's Gorky. A city in former USSR named after the writer Maxim Gorky. It has reverted to its former Russian name of Nizhny-Novgorod. See posts 29-30.

Thanks, Will

Ah, thanks for that, Will.:thumbsup::)

I’m guessing that these knives are representative of that particular maker and area, and that there would be many other types of Soviet pocketknife which might have been carried by the ‘average man or woman in the street’?

There’s a current model Swedish EKA knife, the 66GS, which is reminiscent of the frame and style of those Gorky knives:

0FE3A2F5-9858-4F5E-AC01-8C903C3B1083.jpeg

Standard type pocket knife these knives certainly were not. At that time there was a wide variety of models and almost all of them were used actively. You should separate the knives, the knives USSR and modern Russia. Traditional now almost not make. Everyone went crazy with tactical knives. With your permission I will show you some modern traditional. Production Of Kizlyar.
43613d8a2e9f.jpg

0f5b22d9238b.jpg

bbd374c4dda4.jpg

Last edited:
And another. His discussed on forums and most said that box shit. This knife is made for low-paid agricultural worker who has a red neck. Everyone went crazy on tactical folding knives.
52e7e3c6b229.jpg

d754066faf6b.jpg

Certainly like the look of that one :thumbsup: Nice and simple.:cool:

From what I see, a lot of commemorative type knives from CCCP: events, anniversaries and cities, no doubt knives with Sputnik or Yuri Gagarin too :cool:

I wonder about pocket-knives from before the Revolution, Tsarist times? I'm guessing, but I suspect that fixed blades were the norm for most people and if richer or urban types carried pocket-knives then they were likely German or English made? But I could very well be wrong, perhaps there are traditional Russian styles of pocket-knife? Would not be surprising.

Thanks, Will

Unfortunately information about pocket knives before the revolution is almost not preserved. Three revolutions in a row, the civil war, the great Patriotic war left no evidence of pocket knives of that time.

Back