Rust Prevention on Carbon Steel

Depends on how long you're storing it. For something that's used regularly I don't think there's much that won't work. If it's short term storage or something you will only be taking out periodically I'd say Either Eezox or BF Collector as both are designed primarily for corrosion protection. For long time storage there are various option such as silicone sleeves, vapor rust inhibitors, anti-corrosion papers and desiccant packs. However for serious long term storage measured in years or decades though I don't think there's much that can stand with a hot dip in Cosmoline, get whatever you're going to store (be it knife sword or firearm) nice and warm to prevent any condensation and then give it a nice bath in hot Cosmoline. While it will take some doing to get it cleaned up it is a proven time tested way to store knives, swords and firearms.

I use silicon grease (for underwater camera O-rings) to coat my dive knives. I only dive salt water and a carbon steel knife will begin rusting after a day or two if not protected. Giving the blades a thin coat of the silicon grease keeps it protected for many years of diving unless you use the blade, in which case you just need to rinse the knife and re-coat the edge. It's not pretty, but doesn't smell as badly as Cosmoline and works just as well.

Stitchawl

I use Ballistol. It is very good and can be used on wood and leather parts also without hurting them. Safe for food use also.

Back