Ryuichi Kawamura Knives

Awesome knife, Elliott! I remember that one. It would be hard to forget it. Good to see you around these parts!

El, the cattle knife is to "die for." :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks, Jeff. They're both exceptional...I'd have a hard time choosing a favorite.

I appreciated Ryu's willingness to substitute the small clip blade in place of the pen. It was the first time he had been requested to do so and he only charged a bit more for the modification at the time.

@Peregrin...thanks, Gary. Appreciate the kind words.

These are images of my two fine knives by Ryu. (These had been posted previously but I no longer use the old hosting service so they were no longer available in this thread.)

I agree with everyone else Elliott, cattle knives are of my favourite pattern and that one is no different, beautiful equal end piece~

Elliott, both those Ryus are ridiculous:eek::eek: You sure have an eye and those two examples of your pack are pure art....wow!! Thanks for the look!

Elliott, both those Ryus are ridiculous:eek::eek: You sure have an eye and those two examples of your pack are pure art....wow!! Thanks for the look!

You're too kind. Thank you, my friend. You're welcome to check 'em out anytime you happen to be in the neighborhood.

Very nice. Ryu does excellent work.

Beautiful stockman! I like the sheepfoot at the opposite end: with the serpentine magnified at that end, the blade has a downward orientation which is perfect for the way I use a sheepfoot most (precision cuts on a table top).

Whoa! Is that stag? Gorgeous!

Yessir. Ryus stag is some of the best around. And he hasn’t revealed where he gets it lol.

Beautiful stockman! I like the sheepfoot at the opposite end: with the serpentine magnified at that end, the blade has a downward orientation which is perfect for the way I use a sheepfoot most (precision cuts on a table top).

Never thought about that reason for swapping it but you may be right! Thanks!

So when will it be showing up at my house?? I don’t want to miss the delivery and have to worry.

Can’t wait for you to get it man, I want to see some in-hand pics...

I am not digging the shield just resting on top of the scales like that. Or is it an optical illusion?

Not much he could do without grinding away the character of the stag. It's not uncommon to see in the work of many top makers.

Not much he could do without grinding away the character of the stag. It's not uncommon to see in the work of many top makers.

Yes, it's much more difficult to do it this way, correctly. It's definitely an aesthetic choice, but like domed pins, once you learn to appreciate them, shit just doesn't look right without it. It's pretty easy to just "grind everything together", I honestly don't understand why people are so impressed with it. Building texture in layers on different, but parallel planes, is MUCH more difficult, and shows skill mastery, that many makers simply aren't exploring, or seemingly incapable of pulling off.

Obviously I feel passionate about certain construction techniques Ryu and I both utilize, so I'm a bit biased, but excellent piece. Very few of us are utilizing stag as well as he is, and where the hell is he getting it from? =D

Randy, as you move into more exotic handle materials, and especially if you decide to start utilizing exotic combinations of metals, you'll quickly realize how much they control the build. It's part of the fun. IMO though, anything that can tastefully add tactile feedback and dimensionality to otherwise pretty bland flat flush everything on an all stainless knife(not Ryu's knife, just speaking generally about plain-jane slipjoints), is a plus!

I always have some pet feature i obsess over until i figure out what i like. I will be stuck on shields for a very long time. I have been scouring the internet for shields and it is the first thing that draws my attention now. I cannot describe the inner turmoil i have over shields.

Back