1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

S30V Spyderco Military vs. BM 710....anybody own both?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by akula83, Nov 19, 2013.

1. akula83

akula83 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 19, 2008
    I know they are both excellent knives and I am a BM/Spyderco guy, looking for a larger EDC blade than what I usually carry, head to head what do guy's think? interested in ergo's and the like. Thanks!

2. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    I suspect lots of people own both :D

I like the BM 710 a bit more because the handle is a bit shorter and more compact (and still you get more edge).

Both are very comfortable to use, though. Ergos-wise, it really just comes down to preference. You can use both in white-knuckle-grip tasks and not end with a sore hand (jokes incoming...).

Probably didn't help you make the decision, but that's why a lot of people have both :p

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've had plenty of Military's, Paramilitary 2's, and several Benchmades. I carried a BM 690 for several years. I have one NIB 710 I don't carry.
    With the economy-version 710, you get a 3.9" blade in a somewhat shorter handle, a good blade-steel in D2, and a good slicer 0.115" blade thickness.
    The Military has a 4" blade, often found in S30V (cheaper versions), but has a blade-thickness of 0.141". It will not likely slice as well as the BenchMade due to the 23% thicker blade, but it will be more sturdy in a harder-use environment.
    IIRC, Sal Glesser designed the Military Model to outfit a proposed son going into the military. He therefore designed a high-performance, light-weight folder designed for hard use.
    So, between the two folders, it depends on what demands you might place on your carry folder.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. Oakengroves

Oakengroves

Sep 4, 2012
    I prefer the BM 710 over the Military. The handle carries better in a pair of jeans. The axis lock functions very quickly and is incredibly strong. I also find the mild recurve incredibly useful.

5. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    I don't own a milli but I did get to carry one (S30V) for a week in a pass around, when I was ready to buy one I went with the benchmade.

6. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I owned several Militarys and carried both for years. I prefer the 710 by a mile.

7. SHOcrazy

SHOcrazy

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm a Military guy, that said, for edc I would go with the more compact 710.

8. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    These two are the top of the pops for me in regards to larger folders. Like others I own multiples of both and I'm not gonna pick one over the other, I'll let the others do the comparisons. Very different yet both highly regarded in the same class. I do hope that BM makes more LE's of the 710 with uncoated high end steels. This is calls for the classic "get both" answer if there ever was one.

9. Sulaco

Sulaco Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2003
    I can more easily carry an 810 than a Military so I vote 710 for sure. But the Military does make a terrific slicer if you can deal with the handle size.

10. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    9mm vs .45ACP? Coke vs Pepsi? PC vs Mac? Ford vs Chevy? Dick York vs Dick Sargent? David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar?

Personally, I preferred the 710. The AXIS is my favorite lock, and I don't care much for liner locks. The Military is huge in the pocket, and huge in the hand, while the 710 is more compact. However, I like the blade grind of the Military, and it's surprisingly lightweight for its size.

Either will serve you well. Also check out the 810 Contigo from Benchmade and the Calypso or Police 3 from Spyderco, which compare better to the 710 than the Military does, IMO.

11. akula83

akula83 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Cool, thanks for the input from all. Sometimes it's in the smaller details that you would need both models in hand to try out, that's not going to happen where I am located and buying both online with likely selling off one of them is not what I want to do this time of year. I had been leaning towards the 710, but then there is the lure of the Spyderco Military.

12. drichardson67

drichardson67

May 13, 2012
    It would appear that you are in a conundrum...a familiar affliction for a lot of us when it comes to knives.:D

Both have LE's in various steels. Maybe steel choice could help you narrow things down.

13. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    I carried a 710 for a few months in college but it grew boring.
    I much prefer the Military after using one for several years because it has taken more abuse and has been more handy than any other folder I own.
    And I think the Military rides quite well in the pocket. So slim and light.
    I love my BMs but the Military has proven superior to the 710 in my experience.
    I think the BM 806 AFCK would be a better comparison to the Military.

14. michaelm466

michaelm466 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I like both quite a bit and have couple of each actually (4 Militarys and 2 710s) IMO:

Military:
    Better slicer
    More comfortable handle
    Very light for its size
    Much easier to use and open with gloves
    Opening hole is a lot easier to open quickly or in general than the thumbstud which is very close to the handle on the 710
    No recurve

Very compact for the blade length you get, which means carries easier in pocket
    I prefer the Axis lock to a liner lock
    I can carry tip up
    Light for the size/blade length

Here they are in M390
    [​IMG]

15. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    Have owned both, the Military is my preference.

Carry one for a week and you'll understand!

16. pbcg

pbcg

Oct 20, 2009
    710 but only because of the AXIS lock. I like the Ergo's and size of the Military but the 710 gives you size too, much cheaper and again has the AXIS lock.

Their both pretty great knives.

17. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Both are amazing knives. After owning both id have to say to go with the military due to the Ergo's and the opening hole. I did like the 710 and it is a work horse, But it was not comfortable or ergonomic when cutting, but sliced well. Narrow it down with the pros and cons of each, im sure one will outweigh the other. Steel, Ergos, Blade Shape , Lock, Opening Mech and so on.

18. Fletcher.357

Fletcher.357

Jul 6, 2013
    I have both and prefer everything about the 710 but the steel. I greatly prefer s30v over d2.

19. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    have both. like them both. Sypderco is S30V, the 710 is D2. Both are excellent knife steels, and are well worth the money.

20. MaxFactor

MaxFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Tough call.

I really, really enjoy the Axis lock but I prefer the bladesteel and ergos of the Military.

They are quite different size wise but I've never had an issue EDCing my Millies. Granted, some people do seem a bit surprised when I whip out my Millie to open a package or grain bag at work.