S7 Swords

mykel m

Gold Member
S7 is some kick ass steel alrighty.
Can't wait to see one done.(& price!)
Are you going to put scales on 'em or a wrap?

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
061vdm.jpg

There can be only ONE!!

Don't look now, but I think a Saskamatatch stole your sword!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
horse stall mat wrapped in a lighter-colored ito !

We think alike! I have considered that idea, I just have to do some testing and see how they hold up. So many fun things to try!

I also like the lighter cord wraps, they are really cool. You don't see them as often... I really like the white glow cord I use on wraps, when I did the first one I was unsure but as soon as I saw it finished I knew it was on!

gooeytek

Gold Member
I might have to order one from you with the horse stall mat riveted/bolted, and I can wrap it with one of the ito colors that I have :)

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I might have to order one from you with the horse stall mat riveted/bolted, and I can wrap it with one of the ito colors that I have :)

Sounds good!

Micarta rods are sweet with the mat also, they are easy on the hands.

What kind of cord do you have in mind, sounds cool...

gooeytek

Gold Member
I have red, brown, and black cotton wrap for when I re-wrap the tsuka-ito on the katanas I have. Looks similar to what you used on your latest carbidized Ti necker. I fold it back on itself on each side the traditional way though, so it uses almost twice the length.

like this:
[video=youtube;6Te0lZy-jEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Te0lZy-jEI[/video]

When are they going to be ready? and about how much?
P.S. they look good, i want the shorter one tho

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Gooeytek - that video was just nuts, that was so fast and he used scissors to push the cord through, wow! I watched a few of his other videos and I am impressed.

Sword4life - I'm hoping to get them finished up sometime soon, they are almost ready for heat treat. As far as pricing goes I will keep them competitive, I doubt you will find a comparable sword at the price I hope to ask.

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
is your sheath-making rig big enough to make kydex ones for those? :)

I made my press and I could easily build a bigger one, I was actually thinking about that yesterday when I was molding sheaths.

They sell 4x8 sheets of kydex so it does come big enough!

I also consider making a wooden scabbard but I will probably save that idea for a more traditional sword.

gooeytek

Gold Member
I've found that the traditional furniture (koshirae/toso) isn't very practical for a user, especially the saya (scabbard/sheath). I've foregone having traditional fittings on the tsuka and removed the menuki, tsuba, and kashira on 2 of my user blades and just set them aside. They just have the rayskin wrapped in ito. They're a tiny bit lighter and might have shifted the balance slighty forward, but still very manageable in-hand. I would definitely consider a kydex saya :) less work, more durable, and easier to carry.