Saddleback Leather: Wallets

And thank you markksr for posting the pics and for measuring the wallet. So the passport would not fit into the cash pocket either (like on the pic linked above), correct?

... So the passport would not fit into the cash pocket either (like on the pic linked above), correct?

I believe that is correct but I do not have a passport handy right now to actually test it. I will try to test it soon, and if it does fit, I will come back and say so.

You still might consider their Passport Wallet. I have 4 credit cards in one of the slots in my Large Bi-fold and a small stack of about 15-20 100lb stock business cards in another. And while they are a little tight right now, I have no doubt at all that they will loosen up a bit with time.

I can see how you could miss the cash pocket though, especially the extra deep one with the flap. I can't explain it but there is just something about it. It's strange that you can get such a nice quiet satisfaction from just pulling out your wallet and removing a few bills.

Ruggedly luxurious? Luxuriously rugged? I don't know... What can I say? I like mine. :)

I believe that is correct but I do not have a passport handy right now to actually test it. I will try to test it soon, and if it does fit, I will come back and say so.

You still might consider their Passport Wallet. I have 4 credit cards in one of the slots in my Large Bi-fold and a small stack of about 15-20 100lb stock business cards in another. And while they are a little tight right now, I have no doubt at all that they will loosen up a bit with time.

I can see how you could miss the cash pocket though, especially the extra deep one with the flap. I can't explain it but there is just something about it. It's strange that you can get such a nice quiet satisfaction from just pulling out your wallet and removing a few bills.

Ruggedly luxurious? Luxuriously rugged? I don't know... What can I say? I like mine. :)

Its both :)
Thanks Mark. And you are right on with the extra deep cash pocket and especially the flap. This is what makes this wallet a very attractive option for me. Carrying few currencies and separating what you need close by and handy from what you dont want to lose. And I do need it for my trips abroad only (so hence a passport question) as I am perfectly fine home with a usual bi-fold or perhaps even a smaller one.

I know what you mean. :)

Can you post some internal pictures of cash pocket on the Large?

I received my medium bi-fold today. It's certainly a beautiful piece of work but I fear that it's too thick for my liking. It's been years since I've used thick wallets and I don't think I can go back.

I'm about to contact the site and exchange it for a small.

Once your wallet breaks in you'll hardly know it's there. Saddlebacks are great.

-Tye

Oh really? Hmmmm.. I haven't put in the request for the exchange yet, and now I may not now that I know this. I really do like the medium and would love to keep it.

So once broken it's broken in, it really does make a big difference?

Thanks for the input, by the way.

Oh really? Hmmmm.. I haven't put in the request for the exchange yet, and now I may not now that I know this. I really do like the medium and would love to keep it.

So once broken it's broken in, it really does make a big difference?

Thanks for the input, by the way.

My first thought was I got it was "Dear god I can't use something this thick."

Now I don't know how I could do without it.

I would say give it six weeks. Mine got much better in the first few days and continues to improve.

Got my medium wallet yesterday and I'm really pleased with it - thanks to all in this thread for the recommendation. I had my old wallet 24 years so it was hard to part with it - but upon opening the new one I could tell right away I'd done good.

8~3.jpg

I love my Saddleback stuff, i have been carrying for a few months.

My first thought was I got it was "Dear god I can't use something this thick."

Now I don't know how I could do without it.

I would say give it six weeks. Mine got much better in the first few days and continues to improve.

I'm gonna stick it out and let it break in. :)

I figure if I do decide I want the small, having a second wallet can't hurt!

My dark coffee brown wallet is really dry. It also seems to have some peach fuzz all over it. I have tried oiling it, but that only resolves the issue temporarily. Does the "fuzz' burnish in over time and smooth out?

I have the medium bi-fold in Chestnut. It's the best wallet I've ever owned. It exudes quality. I wore out my last Coach wallet. I looked at many wallets up through the $600 range and ended up choosing this one. If anything the leather is almost too thick. I guess to each his own, but for my money this wallet is excellent.

My dark coffee brown wallet is really dry. It also seems to have some peach fuzz all over it. I have tried oiling it, but that only resolves the issue temporarily. Does the "fuzz' burnish in over time and smooth out?

I would contact Saddleback directly and ask them about that. Although I'm sure a wiser individual than I will chime in with some better advice.

Did you get your wallet wet / sweaty at any point? I had this issue on the back of mine after some really killer days in the city. Pictures would help, I don't happen to have any.

I know they say don't oil it or anything for a year, but the crease on my wallet was looking really dry, plus there were spots / fuzzy (not texture fuzzy but looked fuzzy) on the backside so I took some Burt's Bees Miracle Salve and put a bit over the entire wallet. Smoothed out the spots and the bees wax makes it (IMO) a bit more water resistant. It did darken the color a touch as well.

I'm not an expert in leather care, but I doubt the ingredients (various oils and bees wax) are going to damage it.

Frequently Asked Questions - Leather by Saddleback Leather Company

Which leather care products do you recommend?

Baby Oil is good and smells great. Mink oil waterproofs whatever it touches and darkens it some. Lexol Conditioners and Oils are great, and can darken it a little. Not really sure about Beeswax.

How do I care for my leather?

Oil or condition it after you've had it for 6 - 12 months then, once a year or so after that. You don't want to do it too often, because you don't want to saturate the leather. It's just not good for it. And, it won't kill it if you wait a little longer than 12 months.

Did you get your wallet wet / sweaty at any point? I had this issue on the back of mine after some really killer days in the city. Pictures would help, I don't happen to have any.

I know they say don't oil it or anything for a year, but the crease on my wallet was looking really dry, plus there were spots / fuzzy (not texture fuzzy but looked fuzzy) on the backside so I took some Burt's Bees Miracle Salve and put a bit over the entire wallet. Smoothed out the spots and the bees wax makes it (IMO) a bit more water resistant. It did darken the color a touch as well.

I'm not an expert in leather care, but I doubt the ingredients (various oils and bees wax) are going to damage it.
Have not gotten it wet. I am in discussions with their customer service as we speak..er..type. I have been waiting for a response. Its just odd. Their is an almost peach fuzzy, suede feel and look to parts of the wallet. If you run the meat of your finger a certain direction, the color tone changes like suede does. It doesnt really effect the utility aspect of the wallet. The thing is built like a tank. Im just a bit bummed out because SBL brags about the quality of their leather, and so far, I am not as impressed as I think one should be. Hopefully they will follow up soon with an explanation.
photo1.jpg

I got one of their medium bifolds a while ago. Gorgeous wallet and very well constructed but I found it just too thick. The empty Saddleback was thicker than my old wallet was full of stuff. I eventually ended up getting a carbon fiber / kevlar sailcloth wallet from http://raggededgegear.com

You guys were right. It's only day two and the thickness of the medium is not bothering me at all.

Do any of the carbon black wallets leave the black marks on anything? I know wallets can leave a oil type stain on stuff.

Back