Sadly, I have to quit knifemaking.

Patrice Lemée;17072587 said:
I wanted to notify all my friends here and thank them for their help and support over the past years.

Short story is that I need commercial insurance (shop and liability) if I want to continue making knives but the cost would be too high for the number of knives I make a year and the income it would generate. This saddens me of course :( but I believe that there is a reason for everything and I will not let this keep me from working in the shop, just not making knives.

I will be making sculptures from now on, something my Dad use to do and that I always wanted to try. I like if very much so far and can put a lot of what I learned making knife to good use. Here is an example of what I am doing.

So again, I can not thank you all enough for your all you help and support over the years. I've made some great friends here and will continue to hang around to see the amazing knives you guys make.

Your friend.

Patrice
I totally love this!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I am sorry to hear it went down like that Patrice.

It makes me think of Floyd Nichols though, a bit in reverse however.

Please post a link to your new website before you go? I'd like to see your work. Metamorphosis from knives to sculptures like a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.

With your artistic talent you'll morph easily into some form of metal sculpture. Please keep us up to date, I think you've got a ready market here, can you say Hummingbird!

Sad to hear that you have to quit making knives!!

Your sculptures are exquisite though!!

Sorry to hear, you always seem to be so enthusiastic and enjoy it so much. I hope you find the same in your new endeavor.

Sorry to hear about this Patrice, it's a shame that things like this happen. With the skills you have you will excel at what ever you decide to do. I wish you the best of luck with your sculpturing.

This is difficult to hear given your skill level and the number of years that you have been making knives Patrice. You have been very dedicated in your life long pursuit of excellence in knifemaking. That lady bug is a sure sign that you have made lemonade out of the lemons handed to you in life. However, its very sad when those who are in control over our lives force us to do things to further their interests at our expense. This is a huge developing problem in our country. Patrice I hope that you will still come here. I stopped making knives in 2012 due to health problems, however I still grind out one once in awhile to satisfy the urge. I'm sure you will too. Take care, and be sure to stop in here once in awhile.

Sorry to hear Patrice.
I enjoy watching your work on IG. It's unfortunate you can't make knives right now, I hope you continue creating these awesome pieces you've been doing lately.

Beautiful work !
Hope the avenue you've chosen brings you much happiness !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please put up a link or contact info for your new and current sculptures .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great sculptures, sad to see you go I've always enjoyed seeing your work. Good luck see ya on IG

How can I thank you all for this support. :eek: The knifemaking community is a major part why I enjoyed it so much Kevin.

I am working on a new website and I'll post a link here when it is done since some of you requested it.

Bufford, I am sorry about your health problems and that you had to quit. :( I sure hope you feel better now. Believe me I'll continue my pursuit of excellence with this new endeavor.

Again a great big thanks for your good words, means more to me than you know, especially in this time of change.

Patrice, forgive me if you have already looked at this or don't want someone prodding you into staying in knifemaking... But have you reached out to any blacksmithing organizations? Specifically ABANA here in the states? I know they have linked up with an insurance company or something like that and can provide reasonable coverage for us when other insurance providers will not. I know they are here in the states but they may be able to help or point you to someone that can.

You and Peter were the first two Canadians whose work I started following after I got into knifemaking three years ago. With all the noobs getting into this, its always refreshing to see a new post from you and I always like that you thought outside the box. I hope you can find out a way to make it work but if you don't I wish you all the best with your sculpting endeavors.

-Clint

If I understand things correctly, the situation has nothing to do with bureaucracy which one would infer to be government regulation but rather the fact that based mostly on self preservation but perhaps regulation which is reasonable there is a need to be insured. The insurer will always analyze the risks in their underwriting procedures and assess the premium required based upon the risk. If the customer finds the premium onerous then there is a choice -- pay the premium or as in this case do a different form of endeavor. Now, perhaps different Provinces might have different regulations but in the final analysis, it is up to the insurer to assess risk and base the premium required upon the risk.

Patrice, I am sorry to hear that the insurance premiums were too onerous. Clearly there are other avenues for your artistic expression, and you are very talented. I will miss seeing your knives though.

Best of luck in your new endeavors.

looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! All the best Patrice!

Thanks Clint but from the little research I did it would be too much of an uphill battle.

Murray, thanks for explaining what I could not. That's exactly it. I don't blame the insurance company, it is a business and it has more to do with me or the volume of work I do/sell. I am very happy with the company and especially the broker I found that specializes in coverage for artists.

Thanks again for the good words guys, I'll try to live up to them. :thumbup:

Patrice, so sorry to hear you're not going to be making knives any longer. You are a true craftsman and your work has inspired me!
It sounds like it's liability insurance that is the culprit, that's too bad. I don't see how a knifemaker could be responsible for the person handling the knife, if I understand correctly.

So, Patrice, of course I already knew this, we've discussed it earlier. But I forgot to ask one question. What are you going to do with all the unfinished blades on your work bench? I only ask because ..uh, uh, lol...:) I too like your creations!

Back