Sadly, I have to quit knifemaking.

I am not sure how the law works, but I promise I would find a way around it. I don't quite understand. Do what you think is best, but I will miss you here.

Robert, the liability is not about the regular use of the knife as I understand it but more is something failed. For example a blade that breaks or a lock that fails on a folder. Of course you would still have to prove that it happened with regular use but anything is possible in the courts.

David, I actually don't have a blade in progress. And I am not taking any chance believe me.

Which brings me to what Kevin said. This is not law, it is rules set by the insurance company. Trying to find a way around means not respecting those rules and that is ground for voiding the insurance contract. Not something I would ever do, why take an insurance in the first place if you make it so it won't works when something happens?

Thanks again for the good words guys and don't worry, I am at peace with this new road and look forward to what the future brings me.

Sorrry to hear this Patrice. I will miss seeing your work but mostly I will miss your dedication and spirit. As others have asked, please provide a link to your new creations. I would love to have one of your bugs or butterflies watching over my shop.

I always enjoyed seeing your knives and I am sad that you have been forced to take this decision. It is surprising to me that you cannot find an insurance company which will supply a policy which will cover your liability for knives. There are a zillion companies out there making knives, and frankly knives do not seem as likely to me to have the potential for accidental injury as a lot of other products (e.g., ladders). Maybe these companies all self-insure?

Anyway, best wishes on your new endeavors!

I'd move to Timbuktu, stack a bunch of sandbags around the perimeter, and they could pry the last stick of alloy out of my stiff dead hands! :D

That's a good business model and career path, right?

Patrice - thanks for explaining. Please do post your website link. It has been great interacting with you, and I think you are on your way to being a hell of a sculptor.
You know more about tolerances, fit and finish, etc. than most sculptors ever will (except Jim Kelso - he is The Man. Google his work if you ever want a sense of peace and beauty).

Here's to tomorrow!

You will be missed Patrice. Maybe one day you can find a better insurance company to deal with.

I myself would gladly buy both sculptures, the Lady Bug and the butterfly
and several more in the future.

If they are available PM me please...

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

David, PM sent through FB.

Sickography, thanks a lot for the heads up. :thumbup: Pointing out problems is soooo helpful, as anyone who has ever tried to design a website knows. :thumbup:

the insurance industry plays an over sized role in our society, and I'm goddamned sick of it

the insurance industry plays an over sized role in our society, and I'm goddamned sick of it
Absolutely! Quite frankly the passive acceptance shown in this thread is more than I can take at times. The industry's practices need to be called out, no business should be bullied into submission to the point it must drop its main product line that its known and respected for. Its clear that insurance companies do not want to take on risk they were paid to do; They want a sure thing when it comes to profit and that is not right.

It`s a crying shame as already stated. I don`t know if I ever could have bought one of your blades but I sure liked looking at them when they were done!

Absolutely! Quite frankly the passive acceptance shown in this thread is more than I can take at times.

this thread, (the creation of it, aar) is far from 'passive acceptance', imo. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite

Well you know I am a huge fan of your sculptures and look forward to seeing where this work takes you. Looking forward to my lady bug!

Sorry to hear about the rest, though.

Roger

this thread, (the creation of it, aar) is far from 'passive acceptance', imo. In fact, I think it's quite the opposite

Perhaps, and by airing it out might help bring about change. I just don't take these kinds of things easily without a good fight. Insurance is a scam these days.

I have a question for Partrice, is the insurance required by law for you to make knives, or is it something you feel is necessary?

Bufford, it might well be acceptance. Like Lorien said, I don't think it is passive though cause I am doing something about it, just not picking the head on fight option. Might be different for someone else but it is simply not worth it stress wise for me and most importantly imposing that stress on my wonderful wife. Not gonna happen for anything.

I also don't want this to turn into insurance bashing. They do provide an essential service for many folks like me that buy peace of mind. And they do at a price. Could that price be lower well of course, we would like everything to be as affordable as possible. But it is their right to ask whatever they want and I am the one who has to choose to buy it or not. Like any other product. I actually think that it is reasonably affordable for most situations. Even making knives, some makers are insured. It is just in my personal situation, the output is simply not there.

Don, as far as I know it is not required by law. It is simply my choice as I stated above. If someone is able to live with the risk of loosing everything they worked for (and even more in the case of a liability suit) then more power to them, they will save money. I can't.

Roger, the ladybug is all done and should ship tomorrow, I'll keep you posted of course. Again I thanks you for your support.
As I also thank everyone for their continuing good words. I am working on the website right now and will post here as soon as it is online.

You guys are the best. :thumbup:

Back