1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Safety razor blade life

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Leddspunge82, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Leddspunge82

Leddspunge82

Mar 5, 2019
    Hi Gentlemen, I’m a young bloke who has recently discovered the joys of shaving with a safety razor and I am absolutely astonished with the results. After years of razor burn and bumps with sensitive skin I’m happy to say I will never touch a cartridge razor again. I am dumbfounded that everyone isn’t using them and how they ever fell out of popular use in modern times.

Now as I plan to continue to shave long term with my safety razor I’m looking at buying my blades in bulk to save money.
    I did some quick math and found that a 50 pack of Feather blades will last me roughly a year based on my current blade life per shave.
    My question is: Do unused blades that have been kept in their packaging for a year or more lose their edge through oxidisation or other methods, does the time sitting in a drawer affect the shave quality? i’m using Feather brand platinum coated blades, and keep them in a cool, dry place.

As I said i’m new to REAL wet shaving so any other tips & tricks/info on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Also keen to hear what your go to shave kit includes (blades, razor, soap, balms etc)

Thanks for your insight in advance.

2. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I have old blades that are still sharp and shave fine. Good blade choice.

I got my silver badger brush from Whipped Dog Shaving and use Mama Bear soaps. Happy to share more.

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2001
    Feather blades are an excellent choice, that's what I use to shave my noddle. As far as loosing their edge by storing I'm going to say no. Really you have no idea when the blades where even manufactured so don't worry just enjoy the shave.

4. Tjstampa

Tjstampa Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 25, 2019
    I have had a bulk pack of feather blades for 2 plus years. Still very sharp. I can normally get 2 weeks out of a blade. I also have a 100 pack of asto blades. Each of those last me a week.

5. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    What DE razor blade is the best to get on Amazon? I still use an old Gillette adjustable DE razor.
    Rich

6. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    @Leddspunge82 , welcome to the razor forum. I don't think double edge blades degrade in their package. 2 weeks worth of shaves is about what I get and I shave every other day. So, 4 times a week. Maybe I can squeeze one or two more out of a blade. But the gents
    above are correct.
    I use Feather blades and some of them are rough/ ragged right out of the wrapper. They lack refinement. Thus, their shave claws
    my skin and gives me nicks. So, what I began doing is stropping the blade before using, giving it more refinement. Thus, No more nicks. If the speed of the steel ribbon is run too fast during mfg. then the steel is not buffed sufficiently. Thus, packaged with a more coarse edge. This also means that less blades are packages in a day. Something bean counters notice. That's why the speed
    of the processing machine is increased. But this result is not good.
    Another item-- is I will tune a dull blade on a Charnley Forest stone. Stroke it on a stone (Arkansas's will work). This brings back the edge for another week to 10 days. Some of the Feather blades in my rotation are over 1 year old and still giving good shaves. Note; it helps if your into sharpening. Otherwise forget it.
    Glad you stumbled on to wet shaving. My experience is it gives a much better shave than any jaws 3 and it is more economical. DM